Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No front end PPF DC/NOVA - regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Live in the DC metro area and think I have decided not to do PPF. My commute is pretty standard highway, no major construction now or anticipated.

They do go overboard on road salt when they think there will be a "storm" but that only lasts a few days.

Anyone in this region (or similar) opt against PPF but regret it ?

Thinking i'll just ceramic - or even just try to PPF the actual plastic front bumper myself.

I live in NOVA. Never had PPF done before but this is by far the most expensive car we’ve purchased (MYP). We decided to PPF the front including headlights, mirrors and side skirts. 100% would do it again.

Live in the DC metro area and think I have decided not to do PPF. My commute is pretty standard highway, no major construction now or anticipated.

They do go overboard on road salt when they think there will be a "storm" but that only lasts a few days.

Anyone in this region (or similar) opt against PPF but regret it ?

Thinking i'll just ceramic - or even just try to PPF the actual plastic front bumper myself.

I have front PPF and regret not doing the whole car. The paint in front of the rear wheels is very chipped. Also, I have a little rear bumper rash from a quality human being on a ferry in New York parking her Land Rover literally up against the bumper of my car.

soooo expensive, might try one of those ceramic sprays...

do you all think we need mudflaps is this area?

I think mudflaps is just a precaution and helps that rear lower panel from getting hit by debris.

I would recommend not using a ceramic sprays as it doesn't last long. I would recommend an actual a ceramic bottle. Look into Avalon king. It's reasonable and is more durable than the spray. There are $25 off coupons on YT. Really easy to apply.

Mud Flaps help, but it won't prevent the sandblasting the area in front the rear wheels gets. Had mud flaps on my Camaro, but the paint in front of the rear wheels still got sandblasted. It's just how the air flows around these cars then outright road debris hitting the car.

I think the bare minimum if you want to do PPF is front bumper and area in front of the rear wheels. Those are the high impact areas. I elected to do entire front, side rockers, and entire trunk of my Model 3. My thought process for the trunk being done was putting my mind at ease when it comes to snow removal and not scratching the paint removing snow.

soooo expensive, might try one of those ceramic sprays...

do you all think we need mudflaps is this area?
I took my flaps off because I have side skirts installed. Took a trip to So. Oregon over the holidays and my panels were "blasted" by the sand/de-icer mix. I did PPF the rocker panels, but the amount of scuffing on the black molding and on the PPF was ridiculous. I am scrambling to find flaps that will work around the skirts but this issue is real. Regardless of your opinion on look, I highly recommend.

I xpel stealth PPF'd my 2020 M3P before, would never do it again. PPF has almost no resale value, costs $5-8k for the whole car depending on your location, and not worth it on a $60k car.

The value of PPF depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle, how many miles you plan to put on it, and how tolerant you are of paint blemishes over time.

In my case at 140,000 miles, in addition to being a personal annoyance, the paint damage on the areas of my vehicle without PPF will lower the resale value.

The value of PPF depends on how long you plan to keep the vehicle, how many miles you plan to put on it, and how tolerant you are of paint blemishes over time.

In my case at 140,000 miles, in addition to being a personal annoyance, the paint damage on the areas of my vehicle without PPF will lower the resale value.
It's worth it for 140k miles, if its a personal annoyance.

But after 140k miles your car has depreciated so much that paint damage won't make much of a difference to a car like that. 1-2k at most, if your car is a model 3/y. On an S/X yes, it'll make much more difference; not on a 60k car.

I think for most people that got ppf they are trying keep their paint as pristine as possible.

If people have the idea that ppf is an investment with some intrinsic return value has it wrong.

People can resale a Tesla with paint chips in front vs a ppf probably for the same price.

Reactions: mwdietertg