Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No front lights at all, even indicators (Whoops did I do something....)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you got it fixed!

As for the method with the brake pedal, the instruction manual mentions to use the brake pedal, we've heard via forum members via Tesla technicians that the reason is to prevent the car rolling. Whilst this is most likely accurate I would still be tempted to give it a go given the little additional effort it would take to give it a try.
The brake pedal doesn’t do anything now. It was changed ages ago. Are you looking at an up to date manual?

When multiple electrical items are affected in automotive electrics, I always suspect a break in the ground as these are usually shared with multiple circuits. Could you have disturbed a common ground?

That was my first thought but luckily, as in my previous post, it ended up being an e-fuse.

That said, I am curious. Did "we" as a community know that you apparently don't get any kind of warnings on the dash when you have lights out?

I mean I was driving around during the day with no indicators or DRL's.....I know you can make the argument of we are meant to check around the vehicle before every journey but realistically who does that? Besides...you kind of expect any modern car to give you some kind of indication...no pun intended.

Didn't even get a fast flash sound or anything.

Reactions: Adopado
That was my first thought but luckily, as in my previous post, it ended up being an e-fuse.

That said, I am curious. Did "we" as a community know that you apparently don't get any kind of warnings on the dash when you have lights out?

I mean I was driving around during the day with no indicators or DRL's.....I know you can make the argument of we are meant to check around the vehicle before every journey but realistically who does that? Besides...you kind of expect any modern car to give you some kind of indication...no pun intended.

Didn't even get a fast flash sound or anything.
There will be warnings for errors or failures that are within “scope”, whatever that is, for failures they can reasonably allow for.

I would guess it was a complete fluke (I.e something may have been logged but a visual wasn’t triggered due to a software or timing issue) or there is no redundancy for canbus module(s) affected by the exact scenario you created because they haven’t seen a real world example.

If it’s the case that there is no way for the mcu to communicate an e-fuse has tripped, and the affected modules, I’d be very very surprised, because that would be ridiculous.

This is why they get lawyers to write the warranty terms though 😂

Wrongly or rightly I’d bet if you raised this as a safety concern they’d tell you they don’t or can’t allow for people messing with the wiring of the car or running 3rd party bits off the 12v system because they can’t possibly cover or test for every scenario.

Last edited:
Did "we" as a community know that you apparently don't get any kind of warnings on the dash when you have lights out?

I have a similar conversation with my Sparky. "How come when my sewage digester thingie trips it doesn't send me an email?" ... he laughs!. The first I know about it is the smell ... and by then the motor is flooded and wrecked (what sort of design allows that ...) and the repair bill is significant

I have other things that are on their own circuit, merrily chugging away, and any one of them can trip and no alert whatsoever. So last-millennium ...

WebCam pointing at the control panel alerting on an image-change maybe ...

I had failure of the driver's side headlight, intermittently wouldn't light up. The DRL was ok, indicator and fog too.

I only noticed it when parking close to a wall and could see one side was dark - no indication was given on the touchscreen or alert.

Seems like there's a fault detection limitation in there somewhere.