Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No front plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Afternoon,

For those of you who do not have a front plate, what has your experience been with any violations? Have you had an officer pull you over specifically for lack of a front plate, has it been an "add-on" violation, or no issue at all yet?

I understand this is EXTREMELY "your mileage may vary", but I'm curious. This is predominantly in reference to the Houston/Pearland area, for what it's worth.

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since I moved to Texas in 1987. It was only an issue once, last year, when a DPS officer pulled me over on I-35, south of the E/W split. It was instantly obvious that he was just using the missing front plate as an excuse to go fishing because as soon as he saw it was a family with two kids in the car he gave us a warning. I've even been ticketed for speeding in the past couple of decades and the missing front plate wasn't even an issue then. I think a front plate is ugly and detracts from the car and, knock on wood, it just doesn't seem to be much of an issue here, for me at least.*

*Now that I've jinxed it, I expect to get a ticket for not having a front plate on the way home today for not having a front plate.

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars since I moved to Texas in 1987. It was only an issue once, last year, when a DPS officer pulled me over on I-35 south of the E/W split. It was instantly obvious that he was just using the missing front plate as an excuse to go fishing because as soon as he saw it was a family with two kids in the car he gave us a warning. I've even been ticketed in the past couple of decades and the missing front plate wasn't an issue. I think a front plate is ugly and detracts from the car and, knock on wood, it just doesn't seem to be much of an issue here, for me at least.*

*Now that I've jinxed it, I expect to get a ticket on the way home today for not having a front plate.
Thank you! I'll make sure to follow up regarding your evening later.

Thank you for your sacrifice, Rockster.

When he asked about my missing front plate, I played dumb. I pointed out that there was no hardware on the front of the car to hold a plate and said that I was waiting for a better solution from Tesla than just drilling holes. He replied, "yeah, I wouldn't drill holes in this car, either."
Would have made since if the Tesla solution required holes. As-is, it is just double sided tape.

Been pulled over just for the plate. Didn't get a ticket, but I have a front plate now a show-n-go one. Keeps me from being scared every time I see a police officer, but I totally dig the rebel look, but it's not for me. If cops didn't sit outside my neighborhood doing paperwork i'd probably take it off again. They pulled me over right when I was leaving my street.

I've not had a front tag on for 20 years or more and not on the MS since getting it in 2013.

I have not been pulled over in the DFW area, but I have found the TX State Troopers on 20 west of Weatherford troll along at 55 in the 75 mph zone waiting for no-front-tag cars to pass (driving the speed limit) them and then pull them over for no front tag. I've seen others stopped lots on the other side in this area and they just happen to have no front tag also. This happened to me twice within 5 minutes in this are, two different troopers. No ticket, just a warning.

I got a verbal warning in Victoria, TX for no front plate. It was obvious that he really just wanted to ask about the car. After handing back my license, he said something like "OK, now that's over, how far can you go on a charge?" We discussed charging and I showed him how the Nav and supercharger network worked in the car and it turned into Tesla time.

Haven't run a front plate for about 7 years and only been pulled over once by a Trooper who gave me a warning. From what I have heard from others and my own experience, it looks like Troopers in smaller cities outside of metro areas are the ones pulling people over for this. I still cringe every time I see a Trooper and try to hide behind other cars - especially outside of the city limits.

When he asked about my missing front plate, I played dumb. I pointed out that there was no hardware on the front of the car to hold a plate and said that I was waiting for a better solution from Tesla than just drilling holes."

Thanks for a good line. "Gee, car came direct from California..." And I'll have to remember your dialogue for next time the troopers flag me down.

My daily has had a front plate, but my secondary car for the past 3 years was a 98 M3 and I never ran a front plate. Granted, I only drove the car about once per week, but not having a front plate on it was never an issue, and I'd driven by cops every now and again

I have been pulled over for no front plate along with driving in the left lane on a highway with no one else on it. I was pulled over in Arlington for the no plate, so it can happen anywhere. It will usually be just a warning, but still gives cops a reason to pull you over if they are looking for it. I ended adding the plate to my Scion TC after that to avoid any reason to get pulled over unnecessarily.

i think if someone ran for mayor and just said they want to get rid of front plates, they'd have a huge number of younger people vote for them!
Mayors have nothing to do with it. It’s a state law. It used to not be an issue unless you were pulled over for another reason, I drove my Model S for five years without being stopped, but over the past year there have been frequent reports of Teslas being stopped just for no front plate. It happened to me on 290 between Austin and Houston soon after I got my Model 3. It was obvious the trooper just wanted to see the car— tells me he used to live in Serbia and how Nikola Tesla was a national hero there. Gave me a warning.

Grappling with that decision right now. Just got my plates in the mail and have to remove the temp tag on the back and really do not want to put the front plate on my car. Wonder how well the double sided tape will hold attached to the Xpel on the front bumper. Would hate to have the plate and frame fall off.