Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know. As K1Woods pondered, I beginning to think the bag hooks were never really bag hooks but rather just bolt covers and got upsold as a feature. Kind of like how car manufacturers sell rear windows not going down all the way as a safety feature when really it's just because the back door isn't big enough for the windows to go all the way down.

Just picked up my 2020 AWD LW and it did not have the hooks. Spoke with the guy giving me the tour and he mentioned some BS about leaks and how the hooks had been pressing on the frunk compromising the seal.

Like someone said I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for this thread and never used them any any of my other vehicles.

makes me wonder if maybe they ran out of lenses, and rather than delay delivery, they sent them out as-is? Maybe they have a plastics supplier that went offline? Who knows - could be anything ...
There is no lens - that's how it looks from the factory on all Model 3's...the LED is clearly still there, I wonder why it would be disabled in s/w? No money to be saved there.

I did spot a 3D printed pair for sale on etsy, but I'm also contacting my SA to see if i can't just give her the parts numbers and order them directly from them... though i'm a newbie and for all i know this isn't a thing that people do?
I don't know if your SA can handle it but if you walk back and talk to the employee at the parts department desk, they can order parts for you. There are some parts at are restricted but I doubt the frunk hooks are on that list.

I contacted Abstract Ocean to see if they were planning on producing Model 3 frunk bag hooks or bolt covers.

They responded that they may take a bit but were looking at it and "we're anxious to do something". So I suspect they will have something aftermarket at some point. I've bought from them before and followed some of their design/manufacturing convos, and I trust them to do quality work (though for this, it's a pretty simple thing, so probably just about any company could do a good job here; it's just a matter of trying to match the texture more than anything)

If it saves Tesla millions of dollars a year and doesn't prevent someone from buying the car it seems pretty wise to me.

Eh... maybe?

A LOT of buyers are coming in from german luxury cars that are comparable if not more expensive though.

And at least some more from asian and domestic cars in this price range or higher.

Capital One: Value of Luxury Gas Cars Getting Slammed by Tesla Model 3 | CleanTechnica

That's a story about german lux cars getting killed on depreciation because so many current buyers want a Model 3 instead of a BMW or Mercedes or Audi now.

Do they even do the models anymore? Back in 2018 I had to specifically ask and they had to dig around in a back room to still find one.

Great news! they stopping giving the cables at all quite some time ago according to most reports. (this might be a YMMV on end date like the models depending when a given delivery center ran out of em)

Quite a few folks have already complained about the SoC being so low they had to hit a charger on the way home from delivery.

This'd likely save a lot less than the $5 per car you were just complaining wasn't "worth doing" though.

10% of charge costs me 20 cents on L2 charging at home.

Again this'd save less than the things you're upset they're saving money on. But I could definitely see them doing it.

They are.

The 14-50 adapter, the phone cables, homelink, the hooks, allegedly door pocket lights I think I read?

That'd kill a lot of the savings- since now you have to keep them in stock at all delivery centers... and probably both carpet AND all weather ones too.

WAY more efficient to do central distribution online.

I mean- that's how you ordered the CAR so you ought be able to figure out ordering mats.

As to price $5 is less (by a fair bit) than the cheapest aftermarket frunk mat I can find online so that seems pretty low.

I do think Tesla could easily pick up some extra easy revenue, at the end of the configuration process by offering to take you to a page to buy dealer-delivered accessories... and then they just drop ship the stuff you order there to wherever the car is to be delivered from their central accessory distribution center.

Internal IT is kinda crap at Tesla though (see also their inability to even bill their own existing customers, for whom they already have credit cards on file, for data). Fixing that is a big push they're working on right now.
Just picked up my M3 LRAWD yesterday.

Firsts off the fit, finish, and paint were all 100% no issues, very pleased.

Came with interior mats, however when showing me the Frunk the delivery rep saw that there were no bag hooks, went to check with the prep team and was advised that the hooks are no longer being offered.

This was a new 2020 build with 3 mies at time of delivery.

Anyone else had the same experience?

Is this what the drunk on Model should be? Just picked it up. Minus the coffee.

Attachments

• 20191222_145022.jpg
    20191222_145022.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 166
I saw some guy on eBay trying to sell the trunk hooks for $80/pr. So, I went to the Tesla service center parts desk and had them order me a pair. Took two days to come in and it cost me... (drum roll)

$2.36 for both. Including tax. Literally $1.12/ea. before tax.

If the guy on eBay is actually selling them, he's found himself a goldmine.

Also, the parts guys don't even agree between themselves if these are bolt covers or bag hooks. When I ordered them I asked for the front trunk grocery bag hooks and the two guys had no idea what I was talking about. Once they saw the part, one said, "Oh, those are just bolt covers. They're not intended to be hooks." Then, when I came to pick them up, a different guy went and got them off the shelf and came back and said, "Oh, the grocery bag hooks." Yup.

If you want your own, here's the Tesla part numbers:
1116002-00-C (FRUNK-LH)
1116003-00-C (FRUNK-RH)

I saw some guy on eBay trying to sell the trunk hooks for $80/pr. So, I went to the Tesla service center parts desk and had them order me a pair. Took two days to come in and it cost me... (drum roll)

Also, the parts guys don't even agree between themselves if these are bolt covers or bag hooks. When I ordered them I asked for the front trunk grocery bag hooks and the two guys had no idea what I was talking about. Once they saw the part, one said, "Oh, those are just bolt covers. They're not intended to be hooks." Then, when I came to pick them up, a different guy went and got them off the shelf and came back and said, "Oh, the grocery bag hooks." Yup.

1116002-00-C (FRUNK-LH)
1116003-00-C (FRUNK-RH)

My SA emailed me that these hooks are not available to order when he checked with the parts department (Cleveland, Ohio) even though I mentioned I will pay for it. Looks like not all parts departments are aware of this.

1116002-00-C (FRUNK-LH)
1116003-00-C (FRUNK-RH)

if you have a receipt, that would help a lot.

I don't agree with this. Has not been my experience with Acura, VW, Honda, BMW, Audi... Features get added over time, not removed...
But what if this wasn't a "feature?" As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a possibility that these weren't designed as bag hooks, just flip-covers for the bolt and some people just recognized that it could serve this bag-hook function. I myself tend to believe this to be more the truth as the Tesla really isn't big on (mechanical) gadget-type things.

And I assure you, you are gaining MANY more features for your car (for free!) via software updates than ANY other car out there.

I covered my bolts up with carbon fiber vinyl until I can order covers/bag hooks from a service center. Shouldn't have to do this for a $40k-$60k car
20200104_134017.jpg
20200104_134022.jpg

Btw, for those who picked up at year end, do you have warning/data stickers in your frunk? Mine came with none, but a photo i found online (credit: Jeff Chan) showed a couple of stickers...
IMG_20171204_162515145.jpg

Last edited:
And I assure you, you are gaining MANY more features for your car (for free!) via software updates than ANY other car out there.

Totally agree that the frequent software updates are what sets this car apart from other manufacturers. It is, literally, the reason I bought a Model 3. However, this does not excuse the removal of parts that cost pennies as the model years move on (frunk hooks, door pocket lights, etc)