Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
right, these changes aren't worth getting upset over or have any bearing on a purchasing decision. I had to add a bag hook to my Model S as well. There may be additions that offset the removals that we're not aware of. It's a communication issue - customers are left speculating.

My recommendation - all new deliveries should have the latest software ver. installed and the manual should list factory revisions/changes for the car.

All of the above.

A good idea would be to announce all the changes via the website.

Reactions: George75
My rep made a point to show me the hooks in my frunk when I picked up my Model 3 in March. My first reaction is that it is completely worthless to me because when I go grocery shopping I use an insulated cooler to store my groceries so those hooks would not provide any utility. They seem to be designed to hold on to those disposable plastic bags that supermarkets used to provide. But at least in California those were eliminated several years ago and now we have to supply our own bags.

As for why the hooks were eliminated...who knows. Everyone assumes it was to save 50 cents. But it could be that the supplier could not keep up with Tesla’s production. Would it be better if they just stopped delivering cars to buyers while we all wait around for plastic hooks?

Tesla is constantly making minor changes to their vehicles. They never publish them because it would just create chaos if they did. Everyone would be fussing over whether their VIN will include the latest hook or screw or plastic cap and Tesla would have an inventory nightmare to manage.

Reactions: bcpm3p
My rep made a point to show me the hooks in my frunk when I picked up my Model 3 in March. My first reaction is that it is completely worthless to me because when I go grocery shopping I use an insulated cooler to store my groceries so those hooks would not provide any utility. They seem to be designed to hold on to those disposable plastic bags that supermarkets used to provide. But at least in California those were eliminated several years ago and now we have to supply our own bags.

As for why the hooks were eliminated...who knows. Everyone assumes it was to save 50 cents. But it could be that the supplier could not keep up with Tesla’s production. Would it be better if they just stopped delivering cars to buyers while we all wait around for plastic hooks?

Tesla is constantly making minor changes to their vehicles. They never publish them because it would just create chaos if they did. Everyone would be fussing over whether their VIN will include the latest hook or screw or plastic cap and Tesla would have an inventory nightmare to manage.

Well, yeah - the frunk isn't of much utility since it can't be locked anyway. Oh yes, plastic bags! I forgot about those. Don't miss them as they always broke anyway.

the frunk is perfect for takeout food since it is isolated from the main cabin. and the hooks are great to the the bags of said takeout food
I rented a m3p off turo for 24 hours and used the hooks. I bought a m3p hoping to use these hooks again one day..

more than anything I dont like the unfinished look without them

Ok, this needs to be said. This is a $45-75k car. And we are screaming to the heavens about a cheap plastic hook? Really? I have a Toyota Venza that has hooks. Not once have I used them.

I get it, they took something away that we thought was going to be there. Not good. They also gave us longer range, more power, streaming video, one touch driving, a venting feature... all for FREE. How many here were -expecting- that? If Tesla holds true to form, it won't stop there.

So let's get some perspective here before we all hire lawyers and start a class action lawsuit. If you think you are being screwed over a $1 part, feel free to cancel your reservation.

Well that's just it. They keep removing hardware (real physical value) while adding software (uncertain value). They're very glad to tell us (even ahead of time) that a better auto wiper system is in the works. They're not telling us though that we no longer get a NEMA 14-50 adapter, Alcantara headliner, frunk mats, bag holders, compartment lights... how long is this list going to get? We're getting less physical things, almost never more or different. These things seem to surprise the delivery centers just as much as the customers!

I use the grocery bag holders all the time. I was very happy to see them actually. Between removing those clips and the mat, we now have a very unfinished looking box in the front of the car. It's obviously not meant to be that way. It's a $45-75k car with an unfinished frunk. Come on, Tesla.

These are only the things we see. I hate to imagine what is being skimped on that we're not seeing at this point.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that maybe these clips are $2 for Tesla, but the hassle for the customer to install them after is astronomical in comparison, not to mention off-putting.

EDIT2: Also, isn't the suggestion to use the clips so that cargo in the frunk doesn't press the emergency release button toward the front of the frunk?

If car is locked, so is frunk. At least, that’s the way I read it in the manual.

The frunk is externally unlockable for emergency responders (so they can get to the high voltage disconnect). It used to always be accessible, now there is allegedly more to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: adys123
well, good opportunity for a 3rd party item. If it were a cost savings initiative, you would think they would have simply inserted plastic cap covers.

There are bolts underneath the clips, and those bolts must be accessible to remove the frunk liner, which is necessary for some service jobs. Thus, covering them in a permanent way would be a bad move from a service point of view. A cover that could be removed might as well be designed to pivot, and you're right back at the old hook design (or maybe a simplified version of it). Thus, if this was penny-pinching, completely removing the hooks, as Tesla has done, was really the only option, short of completely redesigning the frunk liner -- which, incidentally, I could see being the next step. It's entirely possible they plan to remove the holes that serve as pivot points for the old hooks, and maybe re-sculpt the entire upper lip of the liner, now that the hooks are gone. (It's my understanding that the molds used to create plastic parts like these must be periodically replaced, so Tesla -- or their supplier -- may just be waiting until this is necessary to make additional changes to the frunk liner.) This last bit is pure speculation on my part, though. It's equally likely that they'll leave it as-is for a good long while.

This is getting a bit off-topic, but for anybody looking to hack something together or add hooks ordered from Tesla's parts department, knowing how to disassemble the frunk may be important. There are several YouTube videos on this subject, such as:

For comparison sake...very minimal and industrial looking as compared. Stickers are also missing.

IMG_0758.jpeg
SCREEN SHOT 2019-11-04 AT 10.05.54 AM 2.png

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpeg
    IMG_0758.jpeg
    486.3 KB · Views: 131
I fully agree with consensus here--what the heck is Tesla doing decontenting the Model 3?!? Even the SR+ ends up being an EXPENSIVE car; removing the frunk mat and now the hooks is just CHEAP, TACKY, and uncalled for.

Come on Elon--stop with the penny pinching. It's an embarrassing poor look and reflects poorly on you and all of Tesla for what, perhaps a $2 savings per car?

Sometimes I really wonder what the heck is going on at Tesla. Whose idea was this anyway? At some point, decontenting begins to cost more than it saves. Missing frunk mats and hooks are certainly an example . . . .

Come on Elon--stop with the penny pinching. It's an embarrassing poor look and reflects poorly on you and all of Tesla for what, perhaps a $2 savings per car?

Tesla is hoping to ship 400k cars this year... $2 per car is a savings of $800,000 straight to the bottom line.

Next year they're hoping maybe a million cars- so $2 mil to bottom line.

For a company that rarely manages a profit this kinda stuff matters.

Sometimes I really wonder what the heck is going on at Tesla. Whose idea was this anyway? At some point, decontenting begins to cost more than it saves. Missing frunk mats and hooks are certainly an example . . . .

How does removing a mat (which costs them both the material cost of the mat, the logistical cost of sourcing them, keeping them in inventory, and moving them to the right place during MFG), and the on-the-line cost of an extra step to install them during build.... cost them more than it saves?

I agree it's a crap look inside the frunk- but it certainly saves money... and they continue to sell them faster than they can build em so it doesn't appear to be hurting sales so far.

Reactions: Arpe and Gondi63
I recognize the volume constraints and focus on cost savings however Tesla established the core design years ago. We all have expectations, especially for buyers who purchased the premium interiors. I already ordered the homelink and the frunk mat. If the hooks & stickers become available on the Tesla store, I'll probably buy those as well. I love the car but this is getting ridiculous. That tow hook is looking extremely vulnerable right now - get your orders in! lol

Tesla is hoping to ship 400k cars this year... $2 per car is a savings of $800,000 straight to the bottom line.

Next year they're hoping maybe a million cars- so $2 mil to bottom line.

For a company that rarely manages a profit this kinda stuff matters.

How does removing a mat (which costs them both the material cost of the mat, the logistical cost of sourcing them, keeping them in inventory, and moving them to the right place during MFG), and the on-the-line cost of an extra step to install them during build.... cost them more than it saves?

I agree it's a crap look inside the frunk- but it certainly saves money... and they continue to sell them faster than they can build em so it doesn't appear to be hurting sales so far.

It costs more when someone buys another product rather than the Tesla Model 3 . . . .

And it just plain looks bad when owners show off their new $45k to $60k Model 3. Then we lose another sale perhaps?

At this price point there are certain expectations. Having a trim that looks like what one would find in a Nissan Versa, the cheapest car sold in the US, is unacceptable.

Why is this so hard for some to understand?

It's not far removed from, say, not having carpeting in the car . . . perhaps that's next? That would save a bunch of money too.

Reactions: camalaio