Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I was waiting for my 2019 LR AWD (built on October 4th) asked my OA if the 2020 cars have any hardware changes compared to my 2019 since I could just switch my order to a 2020 car to be delivered in December. He said Tesla corporate confirmed that 2020 cars are identical to 2019 and the only reason Tesla had to switch to 2020 VINs was to comply with some local laws in market overseas. This makes me nervous in a different way so the 2020 cars are not identical to late 2019 cars then. I wonder what else might have changed (for better or worse)...

Reactions: bcpm3p
When I was waiting for my 2019 LR AWD (built on October 4th) asked my OA if the 2020 cars have any hardware changes compared to my 2019 since I could just switch my order to a 2020 car to be delivered in December. He said Tesla corporate confirmed that 2020 cars are identical to 2019 and the only reason Tesla had to switch to 2020 VINs was to comply with some local laws in market overseas. This makes me nervous in a different way so the 2020 cars are not identical to late 2019 cars then. I wonder what else might have changed (for better or worse)...

...the fact he told you there were no changes, and the 2020 thing was entirely a paperwork thing, makes you nervous that there are changes? How does that work?

Anyway, Tesla doesn't do model year changes- when they have a change ready they cut it in when it's ready, regardless of where in the year they are.

They're continuously making changes to their cars as they go.

Not all 2017 cars are the same as all others. Not all 2018 cars are the same as all others. Not all 2019 cars are the same as all others. Not all 2020 cars will be either.

Reactions: bcpm3p
...the fact he told you there were no changes, and the 2020 thing was entirely a paperwork thing, makes you nervous that there are changes? How does that work?

I don't know exactly which part you didn't get but being told that the 2020 cars are same as mine and then finding out that they are in fact not identical (no frunk hooks on 2020 cars but I have them on my 2019 built in October) makes me question what else might be different since now it is proven that Tesla's "they are identical" statement is proven untrue. I am worried that I might have missed out on a hardware improvement that I could have gotten by simply switching orders and waiting until December to take delivery...

I don't know exactly which part you didn't get but being told that the 2020 cars are same as mine and then finding out that they are in fact not identical (no frunk hooks on 2020 cars but I have them on my 2019 built in October) makes me question what else might be different since now it is proven that Tesla's "they are identical" statement is proven untrue. I am worried that I might have missed out on a hardware improvement that I could have gotten by simply switching orders and waiting until December to take delivery...

Well one point of confusion would be the one change you're aware of made the 2020 worse as they removed something from the car that came on 2019s... so in that case switching would've gotten you a "worse" car.

I expect it's another little cost cutting measure... like when they removed the 14-50 adapter...or homelink... or the phone cables they used to include.

I wonder if there's still places for the hooks to go and they'll just sell em separately, or if they made a MFG change to remove the ability to have them at all because it somehow saves em 50 cents a car or something?

But in any event- none of that has anything at all to do with it being a "2020" specifically.

It has to do with the date the car was made.

It's entirely possible there's later-built 2019 VINs that also have no hooks... (again just how there's some of the same year that may or may not have homelink from the factory, or how some 2017s came with different suspensions, etc).

Better to identify a cutoff date of when those hardware changes occurred than simply go by model year, like when they facelifted Model S in 2016. FWIW I Chatted with a couple of reps asking about hardware changes, especially concerning the range change from 240 to 250 (SR+) as a relative has one (06/2019), both reps told me it's due to manufacturing technique improvements so only cars produced after the order page changes will definitely have that range, cars produced in early Oct could be the new version but they are not certain. They told me since my relative's car was made in June it will not gain that 10 miles of range when another major software update happens later this year, but it will be a little faster. Again Tesla employee seem to be providing conflicting information left and right, so the only way to know for sure is to have someone receive a car that has a 250 mile (SR+) or 228 mile (LR AWD) window sticker, and remove the rear bumper and carpeting, compare it to an older car to see if Tesla indeed revised the rear body structure.

I'm sure some enterprising new owner will catalog any/all difference's between their 2020 Model 3 and older years. Unless Tesla publishes these changes for future buyers like me. And for the record when a local Tesla owner brought over his Model 3 Performance to show us my wife thought those goofy little hooks were the neatest thing and claimed the FRUNK as her's.

adiSpbu.jpg

I hope they are still included.

Last edited:
I don't know exactly which part you didn't get but being told that the 2020 cars are same as mine and then finding out that they are in fact not identical

The fact that they might have made a change as they were switching over to MY2020 doesn't mean they made a change BECAUSE they were switching over to MY2020.

As has been repeatedly explained, changes can happen at any time. Tesla doesn't wait for a new model year. You could wait for a 2020 that has one minor change then two months later they could announce five upgrades to the car...or something that used to be free is no longer included.

I have these in my 3, built 12/2018. Do you?
View attachment 472241 View attachment 472243

I'd be interested in seeing photos of the frunk of the car that @wired-less received, similar to what @Gordon87 posted, but preferably a bit closer to the hooks. I'm curious as to whether the frunk liner still has the cutouts for the hooks, in which case it would be fairly easy for a third-party manufacturer to release aftermarket hooks with identical functionality to what older cars have; or if the entire frunk liner has been re-done without any cutouts at all, in which case you'd need some sort of hackish glue-on clips to get equivalent functionality.

2020 year Tesla's will not occur until Jan 1 2020. If you have a new Tesla, its a 2019. 2020's will not be built until 2020.

Up until this year, you were correct. Tesla has changed the policy and is now delivering 2020 MY cars starting November 1 as confirmed by several people. Tesla does change over time, I would guess this is a move to be more in line with the way the car market normally works.

Other manufacturers may build/have build and sold cars like this example selling a 2020 in Sep, or Oct or Nov before the 1 Jan calendar year change. But Tesla does not do that.

Here's an example. If you ordered a new Tesla in Nov or Dec and they are building it, they will assign a VIN for that calendar year. But if the actually build does not occur in Nov or Dec, and will be built in Jan or later, they will change your VIN 10th character to indicate the calendar year for Jan or later. And some owners have reported a complete VIN update or replacement, because Tesla assigned a different car that was built or being built earlier, so the complete VIN was different because it was a different car.

Why suddenly would your be different from what they have been doing for hundreds of thousands of cars for the last 7 years?

LOL things changed buddy, mine is a 2020 also. I suspect its the large numbers of model 3's they sold this year? Not sure but the VIN is a 2020 and all the paper work for he car shows 2020.

Just picked up my M3 LRAWD yesterday.

Firsts off the fit, finish, and paint were all 100% no issues, very pleased.

Came with interior mats, however when showing me the Frunk the delivery rep saw that there were no bag hooks, went to check with the prep team and was advised that the hooks are no longer being offered.

This was a new 2020 build with 3 mies at time of delivery.

Anyone else had the same experience?

I pick mine up this coming week, I'll look for the hooks. I'm also glad to hear you had no fitment issues.

My delivery person said “sorry, no bag hooks.” I felt sad (this was in April).

But a couple of days later I pushed on one of the black plastic tabs that he had dismissed as being mere “bolt covers” and it flipped down.

HA!!!

Turns out that what he was calling the bolt covers for the frunk plastic? They pivot and stick out, becoming bag hooks.

Must have been an OTA upgrade...

• Funny
Reactions: bcpm3p and Avid
Took delivery of 2020 LR AWD this morning. Super excited! and I can confirm no bag hooks. Seems to be oversight though...missing bag hooks?View attachment 472530

Yeah that looks like they just forgot to put the hooks that fold on there. What did they say when you asked them about it?

BTW how was the rest of the fit and finish and what software version did they send you home with?

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3