Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Frunk Bag Hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noted, so no "dual sourcing."

But ALL of those costs are sunk costs and no longer relevant as the first 400k+ Model 3's had frunk hooks installed. To stop installing them now is beyond petty, for something that was actually a "surprise and delight" item.

Elon's a smart guy, and a "nanomanager" so I'm boggled that he would just let this item, and the frunk mat, get removed without his approval--and by all measures it's coming across as a daft move on Tesla's part.

The hooks could pop back up though in a month or so, we don't know the reason why this batch of cars don't have hooks.

I love my Model 3, but this is also a car company that has issues getting spoilers to people who purchased that package and forgets badges on vehicles quite often.

Now, again this is my hypothesis on these hooks, but they are hopefully being run on at least a 4 cavity 2Lx2R mold for cost and efficiencies. The thing is, they also could have purchased a cheaper 2 cavity (1Lx1R) mold - maybe as low as $50k if from China with cheap steel. Tool life either way usually 400-500k shots on a quality tool made with good steel (or lower If cheap steel), and depending on resin type. If Tesla went with the cheaper mold with some abrasive glass filled resin, it is possible that tool just hit end of life recently and started having problems. So they could either be in the process of getting a new mold made and approved, or they just decided not to bother with a replacement (and additional cap ex).

As for a potential cost savings, well if they were being run on a 1x1 mold - the piece cost is likely around $1.00-1.50 each, depending on material/density/cycle time and how much profit their supplier is taking. Eliminating these from the vehicle if at end of tooling life would save them bare minimum $2-3/ vehicle plus the cost of new tooling (and labor cost to assemble).That adds up pretty quick.

None of the other cars you mention sell in anywhere near the #s the Model 3 does though.

Like by a factor of 7-10 times less sales compared to the 3 for even the BEST selling Hybrids.

At some point Tesla needs to turn a profit or die.

Chevy can lose money on every bolt they sell because they make a ton on every ICE truck they sell in vastly higher #s.

Tesla has no backup profit source to be able to keep taking a loss on their EV business though.

I do the same. For folks in a reasonable drive of an SC? Sure. But otherwise I suggest they wait.

Hasn't hurt sales yet- and they are actively working on improving service (albeit slowly) so it's a race to see if they fix this stuff before demand slacks... (though honestly I'm not sure when that happens as long as everyone else keeps making EVs that aren't cheaper or better outside of maybe for around-town econoboxes).

It will in the second example he gave since he's at home in range of his wifi presumably.

Anyway all that said- I never used the hooks in over a year of ownership (I think I've only opened the frunk maybe 3 times total?)

So if it saves Tesla $2 for every car, and they sell em for a couple bucks to the fraction of owners who actually want them as an accessory... meh.

Homelink basically turned out that way and that was a much more expensive part.

going on and on about how insignificant they are..and how you dont ever use them.

Im assuming youd be happily willing to remove them and give them to someone who does want them..correct?

• Funny
Reactions: camalaio
I was at a showroom today to change delivery locations. The SA confirmed that bag hooks have been removed, and he showed me their internal sales bulletin showing the new info.

They were unaware of removal of ambient light and/or footrest. We will have to ask new owners for verification one way or another.

• Informative
Reactions: camalaio
People wanted cheaper cars. This is how you get them cheaper.
People wanted cheaper cars yet Tesla raised the price almost $1,000 on the SR+ and removed more physical features? I for one didn't order a SR+ (weighing in at $45k inc Tax, Tag & Title) expecting anything else be removed and I definitely wasn't notified of any additional hardware being removed. What I expected and what now appears to be getting rolled out are two different things.

EMS needs to access and remove the frunk to disconnect Model 3 power, critical in many emergency situations. It could very well be changes to the frunk have everything to do with requests from first responders and nothing to do with being “cheap”.
Wrong, EMS (at least you didn't say "ambulance drivers") will never be in your frunk unless you or someone else is somehow in there and if someone is in there they'd need to be tiny. I think you mean the FD need to get in there? I can tell you now two cheap plastic hooks won't prevent access because they'll use a saw cut a nice inverted V shape on your hood and lift it up leaving the latch still latched then cut the power.

Wrong, EMS (at least you didn't say "ambulance drivers") will never be in your frunk unless you or someone else is somehow in there and if someone is in there they'd need to be tiny. I think you mean the FD need to get in there? I can tell you now two cheap plastic hooks won't prevent access because they'll use a saw cut a nice inverted V shape on your hood and lift it up leaving the latch still latched then cut the power.

Ever been a first responder? From reading your post, no. Reread my post, and pay particular to attention to the part that says "Seconds count". Nowhere did I say plastic hooks would prevent anything. You seriously don't know what you're talking about, and you should stop spreading disinformation.

Also, please read the link I supplied before spreading even more disinformation about EMS protocols involving Tesla automobiles.

• Disagree
Reactions: George75
going on and on about how insignificant they are..and how you dont ever use them.

If by "going on and on" you mean "mentioning it literally once, ever" then sure.

But I mean it's your lie, tell it however you want :)

g
Im assuming youd be happily willing to remove them and give them to someone who does want them..correct?

Give? Naah. But if we can confirm they bolt right in to new cars and can be cleanly removed I'm perfectly happy to sell them for the $2 it likely reduced the cost of the car if you come do the labor involved :)

Reactions: rtshefe
Please send me a pair!!! I actually plan to use the hooks, but apparently "no one uses them so they took them out..."- Fremont Sales Associate

Interestingly, since you can only normally open the frunk via software, Tesla actually should know for a fact how much the frunk on the 3 gets used (in general, not specifically the hooks)

No idea if this data is what prompted them to make the change, but it's at least possible (same with the homelink change)

Reactions: btownalset