Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No fully leather-free (vegan) option being planned for the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think there is any loophole for natural death, they're against any animal husbandry. Vegans don't drink milk or eat eggs.
Yes, they also are against animal captivity. But if the animals were "in the wild" and died a natural death, I don't see off-hand why they would be against it. Perhaps they would have a problem with an apparent demand, which would lead to putting animals into captivity.

I don't want animals to suffer either, but vegans imho take it a bit too far to the extreme. I have changed my diet to include far more vegetarian stuff than I used to in former times, but it is more for general health reasons than for not wanting to eat animals. Vegans otoh oppose any products that have anything to do with animals. In the case of leather I would think that that is usually just a by-product, or are there cows/bulls that are killed solely for their leather and the meat is disposed of? I wouldn't think so. Of course, other types of leather/animal skin like crocodile skin etc. might be different, but that to me is gross anyway. Never understood why anyone would want to have for example a handbag out of croc leather, or a minx fur or whatever.

I don't want animals to suffer either, but vegans imho take it a bit too far to the extreme. I have changed my diet to include far more vegetarian stuff than I used to in former times, but it is more for general health reasons than for not wanting to eat animals. Vegans otoh oppose any products that have anything to do with animals. In the case of leather I would think that that is usually just a by-product, or are there cows/bulls that are killed solely for their leather and the meat is disposed of? I wouldn't think so. Of course, other types of leather/animal skin like crocodile skin etc. might be different, but that to me is gross anyway. Never understood why anyone would want to have for example a handbag out of croc leather, or a minx fur or whatever.
Basic economics would say that buying leather lowers the price of beef which increases demand which results in more animals being killed. The logic is sound. It's definitely living life on the hard setting though! I'll stick with moderation in all things.

Reactions: Pkmmte
I re-contacted the sales advisor about whether or not the steering wheel is leather. This is what he wrote back:

I apologize for my error, after further digging it appears that the steering wheel on the first production car will be leather.

There was a question about leather at the 2018 shareholder meeting. Elon/Franz said that Tesla was working to eliminate leather from the steering wheel. They said it's possible to get a non-leather steering wheel for the S/X and model 3 by asking for it.

As an aside, Franz' wife has a company that makes synthetic leather hand bags.
von Holzhausen

TECHNIK–LEATHER ADVANTAGES INCLUDE:
100% Vegan and animal friendly | No Formaldehyde or Chromium | No Off Gassing and Low VOCs (volatile organic compounds) | No Waste Factor | No Flaws | Crack Resistant | Odorless | Half the weight of leather | No PVC | No Toxic by–products

Thanks for the ongoing updates, @jeremyz! Very helpful.

> Currently Tesla does have a "kind of off-menu" offering that replaces the leather trim on the steering wheel and that's for "people that need a fully vegan car," Tesla said. Musk added to that explanation, saying that they only make fully leather-less vehicles in small quantities.

Will Tesla Make a Vegan Model 3?

I've contacted support to ask about the process for requesting this, and will report back.

There was a question about leather at the 2018 shareholder meeting. Elon/Franz said that Tesla was working to eliminate leather from the steering wheel. They said it's possible to get a non-leather steering wheel for the S/X and model 3 by asking for it.

Yes, this is true. My wife is Vegan and did this on her X. I'm surprised they didn't use the same material as the seats, which would have been awesome, but the material isn't quite as good and it wasn't wrapped well. Also, they don't support heated steering wheels with the vegan steering wheel, which isn't an issue on the 3.

• Informative
Reactions: immunogold
When i changed my interior to white i requested a vegan steering wheel also, if it doesn't delay delivery. We'll see what happens.
Well, I've gone through the process of requesting a vegan steering wheel and had no luck.

After configuring, I called a few times to request it and was always told that this was something I needed to work out with my Internal Delivery Advisor (IDA) once one was assigned.

I was assigned an IDA last week, requested the vegan wheel, and the response that came back a couple days later was this:
"Our seats are made out of Premium Engineered Material (polyurethane), and the steering wheel is leather. We don’t have the ability to switch out the steering wheel with a vegan option, I have confirmed the information with my supervisor."

I politely pressed the issue, and repeatedly pointed out that Franz and Elon made public statements at the shareholders' meeting that an off-menu vegan offering was currently available for those who request it. I asked to have the supervisor check with management about the public statement. The IDA checked again with a supervisor and replied that while they are working on a vegan option (with specifically no timeframe), nothing is available at this time.

She also informed me that my car is available for delivery next week! Just need to decide now whether to take it or hold out for a possible vegan offering in the coming months. I'm sure there's somebody here that wouldn't mind at all if I deferred!

Well, I've gone through the process of requesting a vegan steering wheel and had no luck.

After configuring, I called a few times to request it and was always told that this was something I needed to work out with my Internal Delivery Advisor (IDA) once one was assigned.

I was assigned an IDA last week, requested the vegan wheel, and the response that came back a couple days later was this:
"Our seats are made out of Premium Engineered Material (polyurethane), and the steering wheel is leather. We don’t have the ability to switch out the steering wheel with a vegan option, I have confirmed the information with my supervisor."

I politely pressed the issue, and repeatedly pointed out that Franz and Elon made public statements at the shareholders' meeting that an off-menu vegan offering was currently available for those who request it. I asked to have the supervisor check with management about the public statement. The IDA checked again with a supervisor and replied that while they are working on a vegan option (with specifically no timeframe), nothing is available at this time.

She also informed me that my car is available for delivery next week! Just need to decide now whether to take it or hold out for a possible vegan offering in the coming months. I'm sure there's somebody here that wouldn't mind at all if I deferred!

When we changed out the steering wheel for my wife's model X, we had to do it pretty much the moment we ordered it. We called after we put the order deposit down and had to modify the order over the phone. Once the build the car, it isn't something they change. You could always look to do it aftermarket. It is the only part of the car that would be leather.

When we changed out the steering wheel for my wife's model X, we had to do it pretty much the moment we ordered it. We called after we put the order deposit down and had to modify the order over the phone. Once the build the car, it isn't something they change. You could always look to do it aftermarket. It is the only part of the car that would be leather.
Sure, but that's exactly what I tried. I don't expect them to modify it after being built. I called right after configuring and was told that they couldn't request it, and I had to wait for my IDA to be assigned (and they verified with a supervisor). I pointed out that the car would already be built by that time, and that I'd need to wait for another car to be built. They said, yep, that's the process.

Now my IDA says no vegan option available, even if I wait for a new vehicle to be built. Again, verified by a supervisor.