Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No further part 2 reveal for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To me, this says Tesla will not do any other events for Model 3 ahead configuration call.
Of course there will be another Model 3 event revealing many more details about the car, before buyers can actually go online and configure the car they have reserved.

And Elon tweeted at 0122 today just that.
Tesla introduced hardware capable of Level 5 autonomous driving, which will differentiate Model 3 from every car in its class and literally put it in a class by itself. That is "taking things to another level" as Elon promised the next reveal would.
Exactly. Yesterdays announcement just blew away the GM Bolt by revealing that every Model 3 built will have all the hardware necessary for full autonomous driving at some point in the not-to-distant future which can be activated by buying the feature when ordering the car or activating it later for a slightly increased price. And the Model 3 owner has the choice of paying for "Enhanced Autopilot" or "Full Self-Driving Capability", their choice. They can pay for the first level now and add the second level later. And remember, if they pay for either of those two options later they are activated remotely, the owner doesn't have to do anything. That is unprecedented in the automotive world.

Tesla has just made every other car on the market obsolete because all the other cars are essentially stuck with whatever features they had when they were purchased (there are a few exceptions but by and large that statement is correct).

Reactions: EinSV
Hmm, so many dislikes, does that mean people actually liked Tesla calling this event "Model 3 part 2" and announcing Autopilot 2.0?
Just to be clear, Elon made one tweet right before the event saying that this was Model 3 related. Until that tweet, Tesla called this an "important product announcement".

I specifically said "To me, this says Tesla will not do any other events for Model 3 ahead configuration call.".
I'm not sure why you think the "to me" part makes a difference. I guess there's some subtle difference in meaning that's lost to me. People generally "dislike" a post when they disagree with it, that's all.

For the record, I did not mark your post as "dislike".

That being said, the technology presented puts Tesla in unparalleled territory in the industry and is really exciting news. If you have not watched the video of the Model X driving on 2.0 software and the new hardware, it is jaw dropping.

Dan

In what way?
Sorry to be so unenthusiastic, but what is in any way revolutionary about the features Tesla has presented?
A Mercedes S class prototype drove from Mannheim to Pforzheim (the original route Bertha Benz took in 1888 in the first car her husband had made) fully autonomous - three years ago. And that was just as jaw dropping as anything we saw in the Tesla video.
And other manufacturers like BMW also have fully autonomous cars, they just don't offer them yet to customers. That is indeed a differentiating factor that Tesla can claim. But as they themselves state very clearly, the implementation of the functions will depend heavily on local legislation. And as at the moment - at least over here - level 5 autonomy cars are only allowed on public roads under strict conditions and in very few select areas, having that tech on board would be nice but not really usable in daily driving - yet.

I will be far more excited when they finally reveal the production interior and the "spaceship-like controls" that Elon mentioned.

Tesla has just made every other car on the market obsolete because all the other cars are essentially stuck with whatever features they had when they were purchased (there are a few exceptions but by and large that statement is correct).

Obsolete? Because they are "stuck with whatever features they had when they were purchased"?
In what way will a 2018 Model 3 be any different? It will also forever be stuck with whatever AP hardware it comes with at the time. Just like a 2015 Model S or a 2016 Model X.

I guess - and that is for Gemany only of course - but as I live here that is where my focus has to be when it comes to driving, by the time fully autonomous vehicles will be generally allowed on the roads here, it will be at least the early to mid 2020s. By which time a Model 3 will come with far better AP hardware than what is available now, or in 2017/18/19. Better software too, naturally, but that's beside the point.

In what way?
Sorry to be so unenthusiastic, but what is in any way revolutionary about the features Tesla has presented?
A Mercedes S class prototype drove from Mannheim to Pforzheim (the original route Bertha Benz took in 1888 in the first car her husband had made) fully autonomous - three years ago. And that was just as jaw dropping as anything we saw in the Tesla video.
And other manufacturers like BMW also have fully autonomous cars, they just don't offer them yet to customers. That is indeed a differentiating factor that Tesla can claim. But as they themselves state very clearly, the implementation of the functions will depend heavily on local legislation. And as at the moment - at least over here - level 5 autonomy cars are only allowed on public roads under strict conditions and in very few select areas, having that tech on board would be nice but not really usable in daily driving - yet.

I will be far more excited when they finally reveal the production interior and the "spaceship-like controls" that Elon mentioned.
No other manufacturer has made the commitment to its entire fleet moving forward to have this capability. The reason (or one of them) for this being on every car is so they can benefit from the fleet learning design of the system and speed up data gathering and thus speed up legislative acceptance of autonomous vehicles. Whether you purchase full autonomy or not the sensor suite is still passively sending information into the system to further benefit the entire fleet.

Dan

Obsolete? Because they are "stuck with whatever features they had when they were purchased"?
In what way will a 2018 Model 3 be any different? It will also forever be stuck with whatever AP hardware it comes with at the time. Just like a 2015 Model S or a 2016 Model X.

I guess - and that is for Gemany only of course - but as I live here that is where my focus has to be when it comes to driving, by the time fully autonomous vehicles will be generally allowed on the roads here, it will be at least the early to mid 2020s. By which time a Model 3 will come with far better AP hardware than what is available now, or in 2017/18/19. Better software too, naturally, but that's beside the point.
Tesla owners are stuck with what they purchase also.

Do you really think that this is the final iteration of AP hardware for Tesla? We are talking about Tesla. They change their hardware like some people change their underwear ( every month or so ). LOL

Sorry, I fail to see your point. If you aren't happy with the car or the price or the features...don't buy it. Seems like a no brainer to me. There are plenty of other options out there.

Dan

I agree with the above that any disappointment is because of overblown expectations.

Too many people took "part 2" to mean we would see the actual car. That was never going to happen. The actual car in its final iteration will be revealed at a big event with invitees, press, cameras, and a party. Not a blog post with a 30 minute Q and A conference call.

When Elon tweeted just before the event that it was what he was alluding to for Model 3 Part 2, he wasn't referring to the final car. He was referring to a feature of the final car would have that would blow people away. When he said he was surprised at the number of reservations right after the reveal part 1, and that he didn't expect that number until after part 2, it was because he thought that once people found out the Model 3 would be capable of full autonomy, reservations would jump.

I think we as a society are to the point that if we don't have instant satisfaction right now, we're bored. If Tesla had announced that starting today, all Teslas (including Model 3) manufactured would be fully autonomous, people would go wild. But since it was just that they are capable of autonomy, and that we'll have to wait a year (or so) for all features to be rolled out, many are unimpressed.

I'm not in that camp. I am thoroughly impressed. Yes, other manufacturers have been working on full autonomy - but those are in test cars. We were never going to drive those. Tesla's approach is totally different, with the fleet of 2.0 hardware equipped cars shadowing, and features being rolled out as they are ready. We will buy the car now that can do it later. Critics are saying it will fail. But after being an AP beta tester, I disagree with that, too.

I agree with the above that any disappointment is because of overblown expectations.

Too many people took "part 2" to mean we would see the actual car. That was never going to happen. The actual car in its final iteration will be revealed at a big event with invitees, press, cameras, and a party. Not a blog post with a 30 minute Q and A conference call.

When Elon tweeted just before the event that it was what he was alluding to for Model 3 Part 2, he wasn't referring to the final car. He was referring to a feature of the final car would have that would blow people away. When he said he was surprised at the number of reservations right after the reveal part 1, and that he didn't expect that number until after part 2, it was because he thought that once people found out the Model 3 would be capable of full autonomy, reservations would jump.

I think we as a society are to the point that if we don't have instant satisfaction right now, we're bored. If Tesla had announced that starting today, all Teslas (including Model 3) manufactured would be fully autonomous, people would go wild. But since it was just that they are capable of autonomy, and that we'll have to wait a year (or so) for all features to be rolled out, many are unimpressed.

I'm not in that camp. I am thoroughly impressed. Yes, other manufacturers have been working on full autonomy - but those are in test cars. We were never going to drive those. Tesla's approach is totally different, with the fleet of 2.0 hardware equipped cars shadowing, and features being rolled out as they are ready. We will buy the car now that can do it later. Critics are saying it will fail. But after being an AP beta tester, I disagree with that, too.

Looking back now on what was said, and what was revealed, this goes back to that conference in June (I think) where someone asked Elon about autonomous driving and the Model 3. His answer was the now-infamous "we're going to do the obvious thing". We spent all summer thinking...."what was obvious about it? Model 3? Autonomous driving?"

Turns out it was both, and I'm ok with that.

I'd love to see the car in December or January, and I still think we will. If S and X are already coming off the line with APv2.0 hardware installed, there's no reason a Beta prototype can't have the hardware suite installed by December.

EDIT: what better showmanship for reveal 3 than to pick a select group of journalists, tell them they are allowed to us FB Live or periscope.....

have an unmanned Model 3 pick them up from their hotel, and drive them to the reveal event in Fremont???

My apologies, I'm not sure what OTA is.

All I know is that Elon stated that there is no upgrade process in sight concerning AP2 cameras and radar for cars that don't have it.
OTA == Over The Air (wireless updates). Assuming Tesla ever sells the replacement parts to independent repair shops (and it isn't VIN locked) then you could just have a repair shop order the parts and put them in your vehicle. The real trick would be getting the software to work. Maybe @Ingineer or @wk057 would be interested is going down that rabbit hole.

What I can't figure out is why the software for the new hardware isn't ready yet. Current owners won't be able to use anything for a few months now.
Maybe the learning network for this tech isn't compatible with what they already have? Or maybe they just got the drive px2 hardware and software and need time to reintegrate the features?

OTA == Over The Air (wireless updates). Assuming Tesla ever sells the replacement parts to independent repair shops (and it isn't VIN locked) then you could just have a repair shop order the parts and put them in your vehicle. The real trick would be getting the software to work. Maybe @Ingineer or @wk057 would be interested is going down that rabbit hole.

Maybe the learning network for this tech isn't compatible with what they already have? Or maybe they just got the drive px2 hardware and software and need time to reintegrate the features?
I can't imagine that Tesla would have enough employees to keep pushing funds towards older technology. But, what do I know?

I can't imagine that Tesla would have enough employees to keep pushing funds towards older technology. But, what do I know?

Keep in mind:

What current Autopilot vehicles have already learned won't be 100% compatible with the new hardware. Common data, such as the fine-mapping of roads, is compatible.

So Tesla software engineers have to decide what data is useful for the new cars, determine how to move it over, and find a way for the 2 different Autopilot platforms to teach each other as the new cars come online.

Not an easy task....

Not impossible, but I imagine we're talking about petabytes of data.

So Tesla software engineers have to decide what data is useful for the new cars, determine how to move it over, and find a way for the 2 different Autopilot platforms to teach each other as the new cars come online.

Not an easy task....

I'd actually imagine that they already have a good way to do this. Realistically, the new hardware is fully capable of collecting a superset of data the older hardware could. They could use the same training models... although with the new radar point cloud in firmware 8+ I'd imagine they have more advanced mapping data than they had previously even with AP 1.0

It would have been smart to write themselves an easy path to more accurate mapping. Hopefully they've done that.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd