Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No further part 2 reveal for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you happened to notice the current projected delivery dates on a Model S right now? I just speced out a car on the Tesla site and anything less than a P100D is showing a December delivery. So, unless your going to get the $140000 rocket, you will be getting your car about the same time the AP 2.0 updates will be sent out. It's a wash.

Dan
No mention about when the cut-over occurred, or when those cars will be delivered. The words I read were something like "all cars being produced" will have the new hardware, suggesting they're already in the pipeline. If so, a new order made on the 19th wouldn't necessarily be the first to get it. There may be orders already on the books that have the new hardware, without the buyers knowing.

No mention about when the cut-over occurred, or when those cars will be delivered. The words I read were something like "all cars being produced" will have the new hardware, suggesting they're already in the pipeline. If so, a new order made on the 19th wouldn't necessarily be the first to get it. There may be orders already on the books that have the new hardware, without the buyers knowing.
OK, even if we take that into consideration and let's say you get your AP 2.0 equipped car by early November...a 6 week wait with poorer auto pilot in order to have the enhanced autopilot and all its features after that 6 weeeks? No brainer for me.

Dan

OK, even if we take that into consideration and let's say you get your AP 2.0 equipped car by early November...a 6 week wait with poorer auto pilot in order to have the enhanced autopilot and all its features after that 6 weeeks? No brainer for me.
Dan
Not quite, if you got your car in November you'd have no autopilot at all, nor AEB, etc for the 6-8 weeks then you'd get enhanced autopilot (Which is basically just a better/safer version of what's already out). For that 6-8 weeks you lack those safety features.

It's in Tesla and the public's best interest to delay those shipments if at all possible, but make sure they are still within Q4 for investors. It might not even be enabled until January.

Sorry, I fail to see your point. If you aren't happy with the car or the price or the features...don't buy it. Seems like a no brainer to me. There are plenty of other options out there.

Dan

My point was not that I dislike the cars, my point was that I found the "all other cars have just been made obsolete" comment idiotic, even though I didn't want to use that term.

I was going in that direction:

Tesla owners are stuck with what they purchase also.

Meaning that by the time level 5 autonomy cars will be road legal, the current AP 2.0 hardware you get with current models of Teslas will be just as obsolete. Especially because I am absolutely certain (and I think I wrote that as well) that a Tesla of 202x will have AP hardware far superior to what is available today.

My point was not that I dislike the cars, my point was that I found the "all other cars have just been made obsolete" comment idiotic, even though I didn't want to use that term.

I was going in that direction:

Meaning that by the time level 5 autonomy cars will be road legal, the current AP 2.0 hardware you get with current models of Teslas will be just as obsolete. Especially because I am absolutely certain (and I think I wrote that as well) that a Tesla of 202x will have AP hardware far superior to what is available today.
Sure it will have even better hardware in the future. What will owners have in the mean time even if full autonomy never obtains certification? The most advanced, most accurate, safest driver assist program in the industry.

Dan

This isn't the first time you've been perplexed by how long it takes others to complete this kind of work. I'm both frustrated by your statements (as a software developer), and yet fascinated at how you can believe that this type of work should be performed at a much faster rate. If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?
I'm guessing pundit. Don't hafta be right, just hafta make people talk.

Not quite, if you got your car in November you'd have no autopilot at all, nor AEB, etc for the 6-8 weeks then you'd get enhanced autopilot (Which is basically just a better/safer version of what's already out). For that 6-8 weeks you lack those safety features.

It's in Tesla and the public's best interest to delay those shipments if at all possible, but make sure they are still within Q4 for investors. It might not even be enabled until January.
I think they need the actual on-the-road live data gathered from people just driving around in order to "calibrate" the new AP hardware / software system, before enabling its use in controlling the car. Delaying the shipment of the cars with the new hardware won't fix that. I thought I read December somewhere on the site, so it won't be long, but it will be noticed. My hope is that it doesn't spook buyers or investors.

I think they need the actual on-the-road live data gathered from people just driving around in order to "calibrate" the new AP hardware / software system, before enabling its use in controlling the car. Delaying the shipment of the cars with the new hardware won't fix that. I thought I read December somewhere on the site, so it won't be long, but it will be noticed. My hope is that it doesn't spook buyers or investors.

As far as Elon was mentioning they are just waiting on validation of the enhanced autopilot. It goes through the QA engineering team, Elon and a small group, then a slightly larger group. Elon mentioned he was hoping the validation would happen december but might happen in January on the call. Otherwise I can think of no explanation why all new orders would be delayed until December unless they are on that much of a backorder (which could entirely be possible).

Investors won't be spooked if they meet their Q4 targets. On the other hand buyers and investors will be spooked if people start getting in accidents in these new models between now and then because they were somehow "confused" about the status of autopilot.