Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Garage and also no home charging - should I just get another car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im in Denver. I have no garage, and also no home charging. (I live in a hotel with no charging capability).

Should I just look at a gas model car?

Thinking about the winter and not being able to keep that battery warm with a power supply.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
Thinking about the winter and not being able to keep that battery warm with a power supply.
The cars don't keep their battery warm anyway, so that's not an issue. But it's just up to you if you want to deal with the annoying hassle of public charging all the time. Energy use will be pretty high in Winter because of heating, so you will probably need to charge more often than you think.

Unless it's a short walk to home from where you would leave your car to charge I'd buy a gas car. Or move. Home charging makes life with a Tesla simple, fast and easy. Anything else is a real hassle.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X
Supercharging is much closer to the cost of gas, and does degrade your battery a bit if you rely exclusively on it. The hotel might have some 120V outlets around (are block heaters a thing in Denver?) or you could even approach them about adding some EV chargers.

That being said, if you can afford a Tesla, why are you living in a hotel (no disrespect, just curious)?

Supercharging is much closer to the cost of gas, and does degrade your battery a bit if you rely exclusively on it. The hotel might have some 120V outlets around (are block heaters a thing in Denver?) or you could even approach them about adding some EV chargers.

That being said, if you can afford a Tesla, why are you living in a hotel (no disrespect, just curious)?
I don't understand the question. It's a nice hotel. It's expensive to live here, i imagine most of the people that live here could afford a Tesla?

I don't understand the question. It's a nice hotel. It's expensive to live here, i imagine most of the people that live here could afford a Tesla?
Yeah, I know a guy who is very well off and owns a condo in one of the high rise buildings in our downtown area. It's a fine sensible choice for not wanting to have to deal with a yard, wanting to be right in the middle of a downtown area, in walking distance to a lot of good stuff, etc.

It just seems like an odd living arrangement unless you live an extremely minimalistic lifestyle or need to move frequently for work. Based on how you phrased your question, it sounded more like a permanent-ish arrangement and simply finding a hotel with an EV charger was out of the question.

It just seems like an odd living arrangement unless you live an extremely minimalistic lifestyle or need to move frequently for work. Based on how you phrased your question, it sounded more like a permanent-ish arrangement and simply finding a hotel with an EV charger was out of the question.
I am indeed very minimalistic. And it is more like a permanent ish arrangement. I could find a place with an EV charger but that involves a lot of work on my end, moving etc.

Im in Denver. I have no garage, and also no home charging. (I live in a hotel with no charging capability).

Should I just look at a gas model car?

Yes, in my opinion anyway. Every product is not for every person (which is why choice is good). If you live "in a hotel" as you said, and even need a car, you should likely get a gas car. "keeping the battery warm" isnt the real concern, its range loss, and lots of time spent charging the car.

That is, unless you have some other reason (like "save the environment!" or something like that) that will make the significant extra work you will go through to own an EV worth it.

Wouldn't do it myself.
I suspect it would depend heavily on how much and how often you drive.
Also depends on availability of local charging options.

Locals would know if it's possible.
Plugshare.com will show local charging options.
Filter on Tesla (fast), Tesla and J1772.

But, if you're really keen on an EV, it can't hurt to speak to the hotel management. I mean, what better reason for them to consider installing charging than if they know at least one guest would use it regularly.

Yes, in my opinion anyway. Every product is not for every person (which is why choice is good). If you live "in a hotel" as you said, and even need a car, you should likely get a gas car. "keeping the battery warm" isnt the real concern, its range loss, and lots of time spent charging the car.

That is, unless you have some other reason (like "save the environment!" or something like that) that will make the significant extra work you will go through to own an EV worth it.
Nope. No other reason. My reason is i want something really fun.

I don't enjoy life enough and i want a really fun car. I used to have a 911 and i loved it but we are heading into winter here in Denver and i would never get to drive it. 😬

Nope. No other reason. My reason is i want something really fun.

I don't enjoy life enough and i want a really fun car. I used to have a 911 and i loved it but we are heading into winter here in Denver and i would never get to drive it. 😬

Maybe if you are a situation where you have a personal assistant or something who can take care of the task of charging it up for you, it might be palatable, but otherwise, spending a bunch of time charging it would get old, VERY fast. I am not trying to make a joke with the personal assistant thing, either. We dont know your situation. Its not out of bounds to think that a person who lives in a hotel, and used to have a 911 is also a person who might have a personal assistant.

Many prospective owners think some version of "oh the car has 300 miles range, I only drive about 15-20 miles a day, and 20 miles a day is 10 days to get 200 miles, so I can charge every 10-12 days and it will be fine" and it wont work like that AT ALL. The above scenario would not need to be charged every 10-12 days, but every 5-6 days, for example.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
I am indeed very minimalistic. And it is more like a permanent ish arrangement. I could find a place with an EV charger but that involves a lot of work on my end, moving etc.
If moving would be a pain, you can't be that minimalistic. In any event, I guess I learned something new today; regular folk can and do just live in hotels. My only other relatable experience was meeting a few people whilst backpacking through Australia who lived in hostels, but they most certainly couldn't afford a moped, let alone a Tesla.

If moving would be a pain, you can't be that minimalistic. In any event, I guess I learned something new today; regular folk can and do just live in hotels. My only other relatable experience was meeting a few people whilst backpacking through Australia who lived in hostels, but they most certainly couldn't afford a moped, let alone a Tesla.
a lot of it is psychological. I know all the people that work here, they like me, say hello, ive gotten into a routine, things are familiar for me here, etc. but youre right, i shouldnt let it hold me down if i think there is something better elsewhere

Maybe if you are a situation where you have a personal assistant or something who can take care of the task of charging it up for you, it might be palatable, but otherwise, spending a bunch of time charging it would get old, VERY fast. I am not trying to make a joke with the personal assistant thing, either. We dont know your situation. Its not out of bounds to think that a person who lives in a hotel, and used to have a 911 is also a person who might have a personal assistant.

Many prospective owners think some version of "oh the car has 300 miles range, I only drive about 15-20 miles a day, and 20 miles a day is 10 days to get 200 miles, so I can charge every 10-12 days and it will be fine" and it wont work like that AT ALL. The above scenario would not need to be charged every 10-12 days, but every 5-6 days, for example.

this was exactly the thinking i had in my head in regards to range and how many miles i drive. thank you for this insight.