Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Garage Door Openeer on Partial Premium Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, too, thought that SR and SR+ would get non-location aware homelink. We leased a Mercedes for our mom 3 or 4 years ago because she always wanted a Mercedes. Only after we drove it home, we realized that it didn't have homelink! Up to that point, she was driving Japanese cars, Nissan, Honda, etc... and they were all cheaper cars but have homelink. We didn't even think a $30k car would not have homelink so we didn't even look for it during test drive. Our dad was pretty happy because he had been telling mom that German cars are no good.. should have stick with Japanese cars LOL.

Another option is to buy a used car mirror (cheap on ebay) that has homelink and replace it with the current car mirror, will require some slicing of wire for power. The only issue I see is how to make sure the ball joint for rotating mirror fits with tesla joints.

I might be the one with the most unpopular opinion but a built in garage opener is pretty useless in the context. I almost see it as a feature included by car manufacturers to make up for the lack of innovation in other areas of the vehicle.

Even for Tesla, where innovation is present in abundance, I unfortunately see it the same way. Currently, no smartphone integration is available and the music player is mediocre - almost inexcusable. But hey, don’t worry, we can auto open the garage for you!

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B and Mdoss
I guess that confirms that it really isn't on the SR/SR+ from the factory.
I understand the need to eliminate or not include features on the base model cars to achieve the magical $35,000 price point. That's been known from the beginning. However, the SR+ is a strange bird. It has more features that the SR, but not the full PUP feature set that we've seen in all the previous versions of the Model 3. This partial PUP is very confusing because we're only slowing learning exactly what is and isn't included. They should have just introduced the first SR version as SR with PUP (that's the car I originally wanted). That way, the feature set is a known quantity to consumers and Tesla would still have gotten the upsell to a more expensive car while the base SR continues to wait in the wings. Coming up with the partial PUP just causes more fragmentation and complexity in manufacturing; whereas, full PUP is something they've been doing for over a year.

Yes, full PUP is $3,000 more than partial, but by the time you add back the floor mats and Homelink, the difference is only $2,605. Those who absolutely cannot budge from the $35,000 base price will continue to wait as they are doing today. Many (if not most) who can spend more for the SR+ today can likely spend a bit more to get SR with full PUP and have their cars immediately.

Reactions: MP3Mike