Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage door opener?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't realize that they removed that feature. I had a mid-June delivery that included Homelink. If you had asked me on the 2nd day of ownership, I would have wished it wasn't included. I had backed in under a closing door since it thought I was leaving and I hadn't owned it long enough to recognize the tone. That was a $1500 mistake (yes, THAT was user error @Knightshade ;)). However, since then, I have used the auto-open/close every single time I leave and come home and I still get a kick out of the fact the car does that automatically.

My guess is that when they had to lower the price in July to compensate for the reduced tax credit, some internal committee tasked to find ways to reduce cost ID'd Homelink.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
Yeah this has been discussed ad nauseum in dozens of posts over the last 7 months or so.

What is funny is people who can afford to buy a $55K-$70K car complaining about spending $300. It's totally annoying that it's not included, but I understand the business decision behind it. FWIW, I was one of the people who couldn't believe it was not included in the car.

What I don't understand is why they can't just put a box on the vehicle ordering engine to check off to add HomeLink so the car is delivered with it on Day 1, just like any other option.

Forcing your customer come into a service center or have a mobile service to install after the fact is poor customer service at this price point (shocking...)

Yeah this has been discussed ad nauseum in dozens of posts over the last 7 months or so.

What is funny is people who can afford to buy a $55K-$70K car complaining about spending $300. It's totally annoying that it's not included, but I understand the business decision behind it. FWIW, I was one of the people who couldn't believe it was not included in the car.

What I don't understand is why they can't just put a box on the vehicle ordering engine to check off to add HomeLink so the car is delivered with it on Day 1, just like any other option.

Forcing your customer come into a service center or have a mobile service to install after the fact is poor customer service at this price point (shocking...)

My guess is that they never intended homelink to be an option. This probably came up later during meetings on what they can do to maximize revenue.

The company decreased the price of Model 3 across the board after the loss of tax rebates, I'm not one bit surprised that they had to scramble to find additional ways to upset the loss in revenue. If one is to blame, blame it on the fact that the tax incentive ran out so quickly and our current administration has no interested in further supporting Tesla. :)

I think most cars are now sold from inventory since they are over producing. Maybe just put the transmitter in every car so they can enable with software update and then pay the bill?

I think most cars are now sold from inventory since they are over producing. Maybe just put the transmitter in every car so they can enable with software update and then pay the bill?

Not going to work. Those modules are licensed from Gentex, and they're going to insist on getting a license fee for every transmitter sold.

Logically, that makes all the sense in the world. Contractually, it's a non-starter. :-/

Right, who cares? I'd rather the Homelink was free but it does work better than our other Homelink units and mine cost Tesla more than $300 to send the Ranger 600 miles to install. I saved more than that $300 last month not buying gas, and not servicing my car, blah blah blah......Yeah, but why can't Tesla include that with the car, or make it an add on option? Because they don't/no longer do. That's why. Why don't they give steak knives with a tank of gas? Because whatever........But it's not the same thing. Nothing is the same thing.

Last edited:
HomeLink hasn't been included in the Model 3 since like June or July. I suspect they had data that indicated that most folks didn't actually use it. So instead of paying Gentex for every car sold, they likely figured the folks that want it will pay for it.

Which would be reasonable if they dropped the price of the car by the amount they charge for HomeLink. It's sneaky they just dropped it and left price unchanged. Of course, they tinker with the price/feature mix so much its tricky to keep track of what costs what.

One thing I like about Tesla (liked?) is the lack of stupid options. Ever try building a car to buy on the BMW or Mercedes site? It's a nightmare of conflicting, overlapping and confusing options designed to mess with you until buy more of them than you intended, give up in despair, go to a dealer and more or less hope you get what you want. I really hope Tesla never ever go down such a cynical path.

What I’d really like is a vehicle orientation setting to go along with that.

I’ve a gate I’d like to have open automatically on approach, but not on departure.

So there are separate settings for what to do on arrival and departure from the location. For example, mine opens one of the garage doors when I arrive home, but does nothing when I leave. It works well.

for about $40 I set up my garage opener to interface with Alexa. So I just say "Alexa, garage" and it opens/closes. No need for Homelink. If interested, I can detail...

listening_2x.png

HomeLink hasn't been included in the Model 3 since like June or July. I suspect they had data that indicated that most folks didn't actually use it. So instead of paying Gentex for every car sold, they likely figured the folks that want it will pay for it.
I guess Tesla also figured most people didn't use the 14-50 adapter that was included with the mobile connector, so they removed that. I think Tesla made a huge mistake removing HomeLink and the 14-50 adapter. It's bad enough they don't include floor mats, even though they were crappy ones. But I guess they had to find a way to pay for the stupid pedestrian warning system that's mandated. It's the little things like these that make Tesla just like all the other auto manufacturers.

I guess Tesla also figured most people didn't use the 14-50 adapter that was included with the mobile connector, so they removed that. I think Tesla made a huge mistake removing HomeLink and the 14-50 adapter. It's bad enough they don't include floor mats, even though they were crappy ones. But I guess they had to find a way to pay for the stupid pedestrian warning system that's mandated. It's the little things like these that make Tesla just like all the other auto manufacturers.
Yeah it is opposing sides really. Folks want the price of the cars to come down, but also don’t want them decontented.

It would have been less bitter of a pill if they waited till the next model year to make such changes, and it is probably likely they will get there, but this is what folks have to deal with in the meantime.

Reactions: K3Man

Given how many threads we've had on "what do I buy to replace the crappy Tesla floor mats?" that also seems like a good removal by Tesla.

If it's something many people will not use, or will replace with something else anyway, it's a way to reduce cost of the vehicle, while still (in all 3 items you cite) offering to sell the thing to ONLY those who actually want/will use the thing.

I agree, at least make it an option when you build like as an add on. Still disappointing compared to earlier model 3s. I love my homelink. My friends with their top of the line Lexus and Cadillacs are amazed how well it works with GPS based coordinates. Sometimes it’s the little things in life (car) that put smile on my face. I think $300 is expensive as after add on but worth it.

I also use homelink when I leave my house without my keys, I can open and close garage with Tesla app using homelink button Useful for when going jogging, etc.

While I agree with the Homelink removal is absolutely stupid (I paid the $300) the earlier model 3's were more expensive. Especially the performance trim. Those guys were paying $70k and now they are $56k? Stealth is $52k.

If you have a garage door then I would suggest buying the Homelink. Its worth the $300. The mobile tech did it at my house.

Reactions: AC2DC
While I agree with the Homelink removal is absolutely stupid (I paid the $300) the earlier model 3's were more expensive. Especially the performance trim. Those guys were paying $70k and now they are $56k?.

As covered exhaustively elsewhere the 2018 buyer also got a $5000 cash refund for giving up FUSC, a $7500 tax credit and about $500 more in hardware (homelink, 14-50, mats, phone cables, etc).... plus an extra year+ of not paying for gasoline.

So price is just about identical today in the net.

Reactions: Callawayc7
So there are separate settings for what to do on arrival and departure from the location. For example, mine opens one of the garage doors when I arrive home, but does nothing when I leave. It works well.
Yes, but this is for a gate. Regardless of which side I approach the gate from, it gets treated as an arrival (since the geofence is a circle).

I need it to take the orientation of the vehicle into account.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865