Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage - living through winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy. I've got a M3LR on order and I'm thinking about how to make living with an electric car work for me as a street parker in Chicagoland. I have a small, detached garage at my home and, long story short, it's too small to keep a car AND bikes / yard implements / snow thrower, etc. Also, the turning radius between the small garage and the fence that is adjacent to my alley simply does not allow for maneuvering a car into that space. We've lived here 20+ years and it really hasn't been a problem.

I've figured out how to build a parking space next to my garage where I'll be able to charge at home. Also we've go superchargers coming to my town in Q4 2021 that are about 3 miles away. So I'm not worried about charging. Mostly I'm thinking about whether street parking a M3 is doable in winter. I understand batteries perform less optimally in winter. This is one of the reasons I opted for the LR model. But is there anything I'm not considering? Anyone else street parking in snowy climates and does the good still outweigh the bad?

You will want some way to keep it on charge. Conditioning and pre conditioning will require power. Yes, there is this heat pump but you will still require power. Even sentry mode takes power. Here in Texas in these hot summer days, My MY consumes 35 miles just keeping things cool while it's in the park lot for 10hrs.
Street parking comes with it's own issues I'm sure you are aware of. If you are willing to take that chance between street cleaning and bad street drivers and if you have access to power, I guess it's doable.

Oh and never count on the planned super chargers to arrive.

Reactions: Soosh69
Does the garage have power? If you can route power, or even an extension cord from the garage, that would help keep things topped up in the harsh winter months.
Yes. I'm getting 220 installed soon either exposed to the outside of the garage (if code allows) or close to the garage door so charging will be possible when raised. The parking area next to my garage that I'm planning will allow me to charge there. Overnights I may leave it there, but sometimes it will just be on the street.

I live in a pretty quiet part of town without much traffic. Although we've had folks go through glove boxes when our car doors were not locked (stupid us, we learned) we've never had any serious issues parking on the street. The biggest inconvenience, thus far, has been dealing with ice and snow. I also realize that all-weather tires will be helpful when the time is right.

I'm hoping that a combination of long range, nearby charging options including at-home, all-weather tires, and the new heat pump will make it all doable. I also work from home, so I typically don't need to worry too much about everyday long drives. When I have meetings to attend or road trips, I can plan.

Or, I'm just trying to talk myself into this because I really want this to work. Logic be damned. :)

It is ideal if you can plug it in every night because you can use the preheating (which preheats both the interior and the battery) in the morning without caring for the range (it will use the shore power first). With that said, if your daily commute doesn't need the majority of the battery, you can preheat without being plugged in. Don't worry too much :)

Also, you keep saying all-weather tires. I'm not sure what you mean by that, unless you mean all-season. However, as I've heard multiple times, all season tires are only all season in Phoenix. I'd recommend winter tires for the winter months.
All weather tires have the 3 peak snowflake but are designed for year-round use. Michelin CrossClimate and Firestone Weathergrip are the two I know of

Reactions: Thp3 and Soosh69
About snow, when parked outside, I try to cover the windshield and also the rear window with some sunshade cover
so in the morning I don't have to spend time to crack the ice or to remove the snow.

Also you can preheat the car remotely with your phone App.

I would recommend connecting a 12 V battery monitor to check the status of your battery and how often the battery get recharged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soosh69
There are several announced Superchargers around Chicago on Tesla.com/findus but on supercharge.info/map
only the Evantson is spotted (permit since May 2020) and it has a thread on TMC.

Note: I use only Tesla Superchargers when traveling, I charge at home in general or use public L2 chargers, especially if they are free.

You should instal the 'Volta Charging' App which provides the location of free L2 plugs, mostly on supermarket and malls parking lots.

Also App like Blink Mobile, ChargeHub, ChargePoint, Plugshare, EVgo... provide L2 chargers options, some can be free.

Last edited:
Howdy. I've got a M3LR on order and I'm thinking about how to make living with an electric car work for me as a street parker in Chicagoland. I have a small, detached garage at my home and, long story short, it's too small to keep a car AND bikes / yard implements / snow thrower, etc. Also, the turning radius between the small garage and the fence that is adjacent to my alley simply does not allow for maneuvering a car into that space. We've lived here 20+ years and it really hasn't been a problem.

I've figured out how to build a parking space next to my garage where I'll be able to charge at home. Also we've go superchargers coming to my town in Q4 2021 that are about 3 miles away. So I'm not worried about charging. Mostly I'm thinking about whether street parking a M3 is doable in winter. I understand batteries perform less optimally in winter. This is one of the reasons I opted for the LR model. But is there anything I'm not considering? Anyone else street parking in snowy climates and does the good still outweigh the bad?
You get your 3 yet? How's it going? I don't think I'd be able to sleep at night parking my car on the street in a big city. I feel nervous enough parking in my apartment parking lot. heh.

Yes I have had the car for about 5 months now. I park on the street and I’ve rigged up a place to charge in back of my house. Living through a couple 6+ inch snows. No regrets on the car - it’s working well. I work at home so I don’t really have day to day significant driving. I am glad, however, that I opted for LR - gives me a bit more juice in the winter when I do see greater power consumption.

Reactions: Thp3
Yes I have had the car for about 5 months now. I park on the street and I’ve rigged up a place to charge in back of my house. Living through a couple 6+ inch snows. No regrets on the car - it’s working well. I work at home so I don’t really have day to day significant driving. I am glad, however, that I opted for LR - gives me a bit more juice in the winter when I do see greater power consumption.
Ah, right on. You using a 14-50?

I have a 14-50 outlet on my garage to preheat the interior and battery. Winter with my sr+ has been fine.
PXL_20220123_151014433.jpg

Reactions: DblOSmith and mrau
An RV extension cord works well but I it does require some care. Had an extension plug melt one night on me after a long charging session. When I'm home now and charging overnight/preheating mornings I max my amps at 20-30. I only use max amperage if I'm directly connected to a Tesla Charger with no extension.

Reactions: hatch