Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No garage, smart options for charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Newbie here to Tesla or any EV for that matter. I configured my car 4/20 with a pushback email for July.

What would be the smartest option for home charging? I own a home but currently do not have a garage, I travel ~65 miles a day for work and currently do not have anything in the way of charging for the vehicle. I eventually want to build a garage (especially with the car coming) but that probably won't happen for 6-12 months. Would it make sense to do something cheaper in the mean time until I get the garage built for a more permanent solution...

My recommendation at minimum would be to install a NEMA 14-50 on the house as close as you can to the vehicle so you can use the mobile connector and get a quality charge in reasonable time. However, leaving that mobile connector outside kind of sucks, so the best option would be to essentially run the same wiring but instead attach it to a Tesla wall connector with the appropriate length charging cable.

Reactions: Akikiki
If code allows it and you have a covered space NEMA 14-50 works. Many localities won't allow that. HWPC can be installed outside on the
side of a building, on a post and so on. You can always move the HWPC later when/if you build a garage.

Same thing combo and tjkessler said. The HPWC is simply and additional cost. The UMC come with the car, but in your case they recommend you not use it outside where water could get to it. the HPWC can be used outside like these folks said.