Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Google Map on 17" ... due to Insufficient Memory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about 6 weeks in the Body Shop, my MS is returned to me, but it has no streets, traffic, or Satellite View on the touchscreen. The LTE signal is there, the Browser works, and the Tesla App connects once I turn the Remote Access back On ... so the cell-data connection is working. I try a full reboot, but no joy. Very strange, since most map loss is due to loss of connectivity, and sometimes very slow due to too many Recent entries.

A Route to an SpC shows an appropriate blue line path, and the red-arrow car icon is trying to move along it, but the icon appears to get "stuck" on the blue line when I am off the displayed route, perhaps because there are no other roads displayed for the car to "travel" on.

I then notice that a download is waiting to be installed. I guess that the 2.32.65 download (from 2.22.35) is somehow large and using more memory than usual, and that the Nav just cannot get enough memory to work properly. So, when I get home, I install the update ... and then everything works fine. Strange that this is the only download of about 10 or more that has caused this No-Map problem.

Cheers, Gary

Yes, the API keys changed, which broke some of the cloud-dependent services. There is no memory used when an update is staged. They have 2 flash partitions, one active and one inactive. The update is always staged into the inactive flash partition, and then once deployed, the partitions are swapped. There will be memory and CPU used during the download and verification part of an update, which is invisible to you. Once you see the staged update notification (alarm clock), everything has already been verified, and all the memory and CPU resources released at least until you begin deploying the update.

I call BS on that. The destination history is stored in a SQLite DB, not in RAM. The biggest cause of slow downs seems to be memory leaks. I recommend a reboot of the CID once a week to keep the performance up.

Reactions: Kalud