Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicle you're looking for is the upcoming Model Y, not the Model 3.

The Model Y will likely be made when a European factory is up and running--hatchbacks are popular in Europe, but they are incredibly unpopular here in the US.

Americans value things like style, headroom, and visibility more than a hatch. You simply cannot have a vehicle of such a size this aerodynamic with that amount of rear headroom while also having a hatch--it's not physically possible whatsoever unless you want your vehicle to look like a Leaf or having things like a conical frunk and bug-eyed headlights.

Reactions: TLej
Yes I would, the glass roof if a gimmick that I could live without. Maybe the Model Y will be a proper hatchback.

There's zero reason for Tesla to create two hatchbacks, or two notchbacks out of the same platform. Model 3 is the notchback, Model Y will definitely be a hatchback. What you call a gimmick, is what I call one defining aspect of me wanting this car. North American wallets also agree, in general, with not going on the hatchback style.

People who want the Model Y more should just wait for the Model Y. Not everyone has a need to move couches every week in their car, I'd rather my passengers be comfortable and my car aerodynamic. Elon is sticking true to the essence of what a mid-sized luxury sedan is, unlike the Model S there are compromises that must happen when the car shrinks down to this size.

Not sure why so many people are disappointed.

We all know Model 3 would be a compact sedan, and that's exactly what we get. Nothing more, nothing less.
As US is Tesla's biggest market, this is a logical and natural decision.

People assumed it would have the lift-gate like the Model S sedan. I personally am disappointed it doesn't - I love the practicality of the extra cargo room these types of configurations enable.

Having said that - the M3 as a vehicle is so far into a league of its own these types of issues aren't deal breakers, just minor annoyances. Tesla will do their best to improve packaging as they continue to refine the alpha designs and I'm okay with that - as demonstrated the structure of the vehicle can only allow for a certain amount of opening space.

I think some of you guy's are looking for some kind of electric woody..

upload_2016-4-9_21-40-6.png

I think a hatchback is very nice. Love having it on the S.

Anyone else disappointed?
Would you like to have it back?

I know that the glass roof reaches all the way back but why? who cares. Having a frunk does not make up for the versatility of a hatchback.

I am disappointed, but does not deter me away from purchasing a Model 3. Elon actually had an answer why Model 3 is not designed as a hatchback:

"Only way to get enough rear passenger headroom was to move the rear roof cross-bar support beam."

Carrying passengers > carrying personal belongings.

Untitled.png

Reactions: Red Sage