Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No hatch-back on model 3 - Anyone else disappointed.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True but the hinge on the 3 puts it right smack in the center of the viewing area. Check out the side profile of the 3. (Well, maybe a bit lower than center.) Also, there must be some government regulations to follow.

Hopefully I'm wrong coz it would be useful to get that enlarged opening.
I've pointed out similar to the suggestion to put the hinge there. In a Prius or CRX, the split is not at the hinge, but rather at the spoiler, which means the beam can be much smaller and won't be directly in center.

• Informative
Reactions: Luke42 and ZAKEEUS
It's a shame for sure. Should've been designed from the ground up as a mini model S design. Could've had the same glass ceiling still. Feels like they're almost aiming for impracticality for some reason.

They couldn't.
Model 3 is a lot shorter than Model S.
They have to decide between compromising head room and go with lift back (mini Model S), or improve head room without lift back - they chose the later, wisely.

The split window solution in the previous page does not work. You need a thick cross beam - currently it is at the bottom of the window. So even if you make a split in the window, it still won't work because of the cross beam. And if you move the cross beam to the window split, it would be way too thick blocking all rear vision.

As I mentioned repeatedly, in US, sedan is popular. Having a normal sedan trunk is OK, people accept that. However, if you don't have enough head room for the passengers, you will get roasted in the car reviews for sure, and it will generate a lot of negative publicity.

Having a normal sedan trunk is OK, people accept that.

You make some valid points... but not this one.

It's also OK to have an ugly car. A slow car. A car with three wheels. A car with hand-cranked windows. To boil this down to "accept that" is certainly missing the point of discussion (especially in a thread made specifically to discuss just this). And if so many customers want certain features (yes, even in the face of US car-buying statistics) shouldn't those desires be discussed and noted? As somebody else pointed out astutely: If we did everything by what US consumers were buying, the model 3 would be gasoline powered, slow, bland and ugly.

And I guess the Model S would have had a trunk.

Reactions: Luke42
I've pointed out similar to the suggestion to put the hinge there. In a Prius or CRX, the split is not at the hinge, but rather at the spoiler, which means the beam can be much smaller and won't be directly in center.

but the beam in the rear view mirror is still sub optimal, though backup cameras and around view monitors, and autopilot could make me ignore that slight flaw. :)

but the beam in the rear view mirror is still sub optimal, though backup cameras and around view monitors, and autopilot could make me ignore that slight flaw. :)
I'm not really suggesting Tesla go with this design, just pointing out what applies to the Prius and CRX doesn't apply here. The design that makes the most sense as a hatchback is to have the hinge on the top, as with the Model S (sacrificing the rear headroom). Obviously Tesla has no plans to do this, but rather just have a slightly larger trunk opening.

I'm not really suggesting Tesla go with this design, just pointing out what applies to the Prius and CRX doesn't apply here. The design that makes the most sense as a hatchback is to have the hinge on the top, as with the Model S (sacrificing the rear headroom). Obviously Tesla has no plans to do this, but rather just have a slightly larger trunk opening.

Both rear headroom and rear visibility. Although I like the lift back on my Model S I don't like the small rear window. If the Model 3 rear window would end up being smaller or even split I'm probably happier with a trunk.

Both rear headroom and rear visibility. Although I like the lift back on my Model S I don't like the small rear window. If the Model 3 rear window would end up being smaller or even split I'm probably happier with a trunk.

IMO the split windshield and rear visibility of my prius is the weakest part of the car. I'm wondering if Tesla could somehow make it so the entire rear section of the 3 roof came up like a hatch. To prevent it from being too tall they could put some sort of limiter on how high it opens.

Yes I would, the glass roof if a gimmick that I could live without. Maybe the Model Y will be a proper hatchback.
I don't think the glass roof is a gimmick. It is how they are obtaining the headroom in such a small
IMO the split windshield and rear visibility of my prius is the weakest part of the car. I'm wondering if Tesla could somehow make it so the entire rear section of the 3 roof came up like a hatch. To prevent it from being too tall they could put some sort of limiter on how high it opens.

In that scenario, you would need a cross member right where your rear seat passenger heads are. You can't just stick a hinge on two sheets of glass.

The vehicle you're looking for is the upcoming Model Y, not the Model 3.

The Model Y will likely be made when a European factory is up and running--hatchbacks are popular in Europe, but they are incredibly unpopular here in the US.

Hatchbacks are major players in the PNW, small footprint and plenty of room. Good aerodynamics are achievable using a kammback design.

And, yeah, the Model 3 as a sedan is a show-stopper for us. My wife has been driving hatchbacks for her entire life and two of my last three vehicles were hatchbacks. Since 99% of the time the car will be driven with one or two people in it, rear headroom isn't a big concern and who cares if people can see the sky?

Rear visibility is important to me. I think putting a camera back there is tantamount to saying, "we screwed up." So is rear seat headroom, even if I won't be spending much time back there. Poor rear visibility in the Gen 2 Prius was one of the main reasons we never considered buying one (we have a Gen 1, which is a true sedan with fine visibility aft). Poor rear headroom in the Model S was one of the reasons we didn't consider buying one of those, too.
So if the 3 is a true sedan with great visibility, ample headroom, adequate trunk (with fold down rear seats) and a view of the sky that can't be equalled in any other closed car, I will be very, very happy to own one.
Robin

Hatchbacks are major players in the PNW, small footprint and plenty of room. Good aerodynamics are achievable using a kammback design.

And, yeah, the Model 3 as a sedan is a show-stopper for us. My wife has been driving hatchbacks for her entire life and two of my last three vehicles were hatchbacks. Since 99% of the time the car will be driven with one or two people in it, rear headroom isn't a big concern and who cares if people can see the sky?
Are you going to order a Bolt or are you going to wait for the Y?

I don't think the glass roof is a gimmick. It is how they are obtaining the headroom in such a small

In that scenario, you would need a cross member right where your rear seat passenger heads are. You can't just stick a hinge on two sheets of glass.

Fully understand. My suggestion was to put the hinge all the way up to the B pillar area where the rear windshield piece meets the roof piece. This would effectively be in the middle of the car. I realize its not perfect and im not really advocating for it over the notchback. Just suggesting as a possible solution.

Fully understand. My suggestion was to put the hinge all the way up to the B pillar area where the rear windshield piece meets the roof piece. This would effectively be in the middle of the car. I realize its not perfect and im not really advocating for it over the notchback. Just suggesting as a possible solution.

When I first saw the picture during the reveal that's how I hoped it would work. Not sure of engineering issues having such a long liftback, but it would be cool.