Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No headlights in heavy rain, seriously???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-Y

Mar 4, 2020
MD
I've see this buried in other threads, but it was news to me. My 2020 MY happily turns on the wipers in heavy rain, but will not turn on the headlights automatically. Driving in the rain with wipers on and headlights off is illegal in many states, and certainly not safe. I had no idea until someone told me that I was hard to see on the highway. The absence of the little green headlight icon on the screen doesn't really jump out at you.

Apparently this has been going on for several software revisions. I wish there was a way to get this fixed right away.

To my knowledge the lights have always been triggered by darkness only. It works fairly well, however in rain or fog it usually doesn't unless it's also dark at the same time.

They used to come on my Model 3 when the windshield wipers would be activated, but a software update sometime in 2020 changed that. It was a terrible idea....it annoys the hell out of me every time it's raining.

They used to come on my Model 3 when the windshield wipers would be activated, but a software update sometime in 2020 changed that. It was a terrible idea....it annoys the hell out of me every time it's raining.
Same... my 2018 Model 3 at one point in time turned the headlights on even if I used the the single wipe button on the stalk. That did get annoying sometimes, but I would rather have that than the way it is now (no auto headlights). I don't know when they took that feature away; my Model Y never had it.

It's a law in NYS to have headlights on when wipers are active.

I noticed this on my new MY, when it rained a few weeks ago in CA. The headlights should come on when the wipers are activated as it is required by law in a lot of states. It doesn’t rain much here, but I think my MS headlights come one when the wipers activate. But of course the autowipers in the MS are still in “Beta” mode.

The quickest way for me to switch the lights on is to click the grayed out auto high beam light icon, just below the current speed indicator. That brings out the light menu on the bottom left of the screen and allows me to 'fairly quick' switch the lights on if necessary. I use it if it gets little foggy or in morning/evening sun. I'm used to driving in Europe with lights on all day long. Somehow makes me feel that the car is more visible to other road users.

Reactions: JDEWD250
This wipers/lights issue has been annoyingly missing in spite of this from the M3 owner’s manual. I assume it’s the same for MY.
“NOTE: When you operate the wipers, the headlights automatically turn on (if they were not on already).”

You can also pull the left stalk toward you to bring up the lights menu on the bottom left of the screen.

I'm pretty sure they used to turn on. How does the "bug report command" get accessed?
Tap the voice button and state bug report and follow quickly with "Headlights need to be on anytime wipers are active" Something to the fact.
Happened to me yesterday-- I couldn't even figure out how to turn the lights on at all without pulling off the highway to mess with the screen.
You can push forward on the turn stock once or something twice, then on the bottom left of the screen appear the headlight controls.

Tap the voice button and state bug report and follow quickly with "Headlights need to be on anytime wipers are active" Something to the fact.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I have read on these forums that "bug report" does not send a report to Tesla, it only flags something in the car's log files so when you take the car in for service, it assists the technician in finding the relevant point in the logs. Does anyone know for sure what the "bug report" command does?