Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Heat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Worse time to happen but no heat or defroster. No hot air the fan blows only cold air. Anyone had this problem. MY 2200 miles
Were you preconditioning the Tesla vehicle using the Tesla app or were using the touch screen inside the Tesla? In the Tesla app to activate Maximum Defrost you need to press the windshield defroster icon in the lower right corner of the climate control display in the app. The icon will change from white to red to indicate that Maximum Defrost has been activated.

When interacting with the touch screen there are two separate buttons on the lower right side of the screen. One controls the rear window defroster and the other is for the windshield defroster. To activate Maximum Defrost on the front windshield you need to cycle through Standard (white), Defogger (blue) and then Maximum Defrost (red). Both the rear defroster and the windshield defroster functions will also activate the side mirror heaters, front camera heater and the charge port inlet heater.

Were you preconditioning the Tesla vehicle using the Tesla app or were using the touch screen inside the Tesla? In the Tesla app to activate Maximum Defrost you need to press the windshield defroster icon in the lower right corner of the climate control display in the app. The icon will change from white to red to indicate that Maximum Defrost has been activated.

When interacting with the touch screen there are two separate buttons on the lower right side of the screen. One controls the rear window defroster and the other is for the windshield defroster. To activate Maximum Defrost on the front windshield you need to cycle through Standard (white), Defogger (blue) and then Maximum Defrost (red). Both the rear defroster and the windshield defroster functions will also activate the side mirror heaters, front camera heater and the charge port inlet heater.
I used both methods no heat.

I used both methods no heat.
Have you tried rebooting the vehicle? You could also reach out to roadside assistance. Roadside asisstance should be able to remotely run diagnostics to determine if the vehicle is operable. The HVAC system is integral in being able to properly maintain the battery pack temperature although in cold temperatures the circulation of the coolant is probably all that is required as the electric drive motor stators heat up to warm coolant for the battery.

Have you tried rebooting the vehicle? You could also reach out to roadside assistance. Roadside asisstance should be able to remotely run diagnostics to determine if the vehicle is operable. The HVAC system is integral in being able to properly maintain the battery pack temperature although in cold temperatures the circulation of the coolant is probably all that is required as the electric drive motor stators heat up to warm coolant for the battery.

My Y (1200 miles) has been getting serviced by TESLA since Dec. 30 due to the same problem - no heat and wimpy air conditioning (for the single time I needed air conditioning). They were supposed to have it done by 1/12/21 but it's still being worked on with no new ETA. Judging by the number of Tesla Ys I saw in the parking lot of the service center, plus the service rep's warning that parts are hard to come by and getting shipped out as soon as they are manufactured and are going to the Tesla Ys that have been waiting the longest . . . I'd say there are A LOT of Tesla Ys with this issue. They ordered about 8 parts (manifold, air conditioning unit, etc.) for it so far, one of which (the manifold) is still on back order.

I told the rep that I thought it was lame that a car with 1200 miles needs such a major "repair" and he said I shouldn't complain because a car that had been delivered to its owner 2 days before was already in the service center with no heat. I guess that was supposed to make me feel better but it didn't.

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1
My Y (1200 miles) has been getting serviced by TESLA since Dec. 30 due to the same problem - no heat and wimpy air conditioning (for the single time I needed air conditioning). They were supposed to have it done by 1/12/21 but it's still being worked on with no new ETA. Judging by the number of Tesla Ys I saw in the parking lot of the service center, plus the service rep's warning that parts are hard to come by and getting shipped out as soon as they are manufactured and are going to the Tesla Ys that have been waiting the longest . . . I'd say there are A LOT of Tesla Ys with this issue. They ordered about 8 parts (manifold, air conditioning unit, etc.) for it so far, one of which (the manifold) is still on back order.

I told the rep that I thought it was lame that a car with 1200 miles needs such a major "repair" and he said I shouldn't complain because a car that had been delivered to its owner 2 days before was already in the service center with no heat. I guess that was supposed to make me feel better but it didn't.

That is pretty lame and is terrible training for customer service. Hopefully they improve this. I hope you at least got a loaner ?

That is pretty lame and is terrible training for customer service. Hopefully they improve this. I hope you at least got a loaner ?

Yes, they gave us an X to drive. The kids get a kick out of the back doors, but I have to say the speed limiter is a bummer for road trips and it has a much more limited range than the Y. Having said that, I'm grateful to even have a loaner and hoping to get my car back soon. I read that someone's battery was damaged by the same issue that caused the heating problem, and since one of the parts they ordered for my car was called something like "battery blanket" I'm nervous my car has been similarly damaged.