Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No heated steering wheel? (Leaf and Bolt have it)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes I wonder how many 1st world problem threads we can come up with.

I think it's important to keep in mind that a heated steering wheel in an EV is not simply a luxury item like it is in an ICE vehicle. An EV's lack of engine waste heat sets it apart.

A heated steering wheel in an EV can allow a driver to use a lot less energy in cold temps without sacrificing too much comfort, which in turn increases the vehicle's effective range AND is good for the environment. That's why all of the other top-selling EVs offer it.

So, yes, this is partially about comfort. But it's also about practicality and sustainability.

Having just spent a winter in Wisconsin for business, and having to get in cars where the outside temp was 10-20 degrees below zero I can say YES a heated wheel makes a huge difference - and can also help you tolerate a colder cabing (saving a lot of electricity and increasing range).

I think it's important to keep in mind that a heated steering wheel in an EV is not simply a luxury item like it is in an ICE vehicle. An EV's lack of engine waste heat sets it apart.

A heated steering wheel in an EV can allow a driver to use a lot less energy in cold temps without sacrificing too much comfort, which in turn increases the vehicle's effective range AND is good for the environment. That's why all of the other top-selling EVs offer it.

So, yes, this is partially about comfort. But it's also about practicality and sustainability.

Exactly the point I was going to make. Often as you are wearing a jacket...and even a toque, you barely have to heat the cabin , just use the seat warmers and heated wheel and you add a ton of range which is especially important as the cold is tanking your range from the get go. Our Kia Soul EV has heated seats and wheel...and surprisingly cooled seats.

Elon lived in Toronto and Vancouver so he likely knows a heated steering wheel is a much sought after car feature in colder climates.

Also, for those borderline distance commute, it can make a difference whether charging at public chargers will be required or not and that could be a major inconvenience.

I will hold off for that option because I am likely going for the base battery model.

Right, we should say a Silicon Valley company instead of California. 25F? I don't think I'd even care about heated steering wheels at 25F. The car heater is fine. -10, -20, -30F; these are harder.

Yeah, sure. "Gloves". Everybody, please wear goggles because we're not including a windshield. Simple solution; this isn't rocket science.

It's not just $40k. It's a $40k car with 25% gross profit margins. @AnxietyRanger is right: we should just call it out as a compromise and not defend Tesla for a silly omission (if it is one; we'll have to wait until the config goes live). Most of you sound like the people who defended the two cupholders in 2012. "Uh, stop buying drinks. They're cheaper to make at home, anyways. You shouldn't even be drinking in the car. Who is drinking in a $75k car? This is real luxury, mates; leave your sippy cups at home. Why can't you just share drinks with the other people--this builds community and fellowship."

I imagine, with enough interest (if it is missing), they'll add this in the refresh of the Model 3.

By the sound of some of the posts from people on this thread and hyperbole you would think that Tesla hasn't been selling cars to people in Canada and other Euopean northern countries and is ignorant of the fact it's a desired feature. I can't believe people honestly feel that Tesla is really trying to kill this feature or that it's been "forgotten". I'm sure there is more in the works for the wiring in the Model 3 and people who need/want this feature will have to wait until they determine how they achieve it especially in a sped up production mode going forward. Just like people who want AWD are having to wait.

Reactions: lukex4 and ikjadoon
I guess we have a somewhat uncommon situation. My wife suffers from Raynaud syndrome (hands get cold and can't warm up and they hurt). The heated steering wheel really helps that more than gloves or cabin pre-heating does. This is why we are considering a Leaf 2.0 instead of a Model 3. I offered to give her my Model S (w/ heated steering wheel), but she doesn't like the S because she isn't comfortable driving a large car. She might just get the initial production Model 3 and upgrade to a newer model later if the heated steering wheel comes out later.

Not as uncommon as you might think.

I really think the model 3 was designed for full self drive and little to no interaction with the wheel or input from the driver, the bolt and leaf was designed for a human driver. I’m sure Elon thought he’d be further along with FSD by now so those odd ommissions stand out and wouldn’t seem that way if it was at level 4 or 5.

• Disagree
Reactions: jsmay311
Not offering a heated steering wheel would be a big miss. I have it in my X and it really makes a difference when you set out in a cold car. The heated seats and steering wheel work well together so I don't bother pre - conditioning. This would be the tipping point that would cause me to wait on purchase. Hopefully the AWD version will come with a proper cold weather package.

I actually think this is such a big mistake for an EV that I still believe it will be part of the initial offering.

Reactions: preilly44
There is a picture on the production model 3 thread of the window sticker, which includes heated front seats standard.

Thank you kindly.
Good catch if the Monroney sticker has it! Besides that, all we had was that post from M3OC/Trevor that some didn't believe was authentic.

I still think the heated steering wheel needs to be part of at least PUP, too.

Last edited:
Regardless, it's a pretty big waste of energy to preheat an entire cabin, especially when taking a relatively short trip, compared to using heated seats and steering wheel to stay comfy for just a while.

Everybody keeps saying this. Having run the (very simplified) math, it isn't that clear to me. Heating just the steering wheel to a comfortable temperature uses about half the energy of heating all the air in the car.

Note: I think I would love a heated steering wheel, so I am not arguing against it.

Thank you kindly.

For a while even the S did not have heated wheel as part of the subzero package. I've lived in cold winter climate state most of my life and never felt I needed a heated steering wheel. If it's not there, I'm sure it will be added at some point.

I live in SoCal and LOVE my heated steering wheel in my Volt. My hands get cold sometimes, and I like being able to turn on the heated steering wheel and keep my hands warm while my cabin remains cool. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker, but it would be highly, highly disappointing if Tesla didn't include a heated steering wheel for me, and I'm sure it would be much more important for some people in actual cold weather states like yourself.

Reactions: GSP
Heated steering wheels take about 10 W, while cabin heaters take about 6000 W at full power. For short trips much of the drive requires high power to heat up the cabin, vs. only 10 W for the steering wheel and another 80 W for heating the drivers seat.

I really want to get a model 3 as soon as I can. Tesla estimates that is Nov-Jan. However, not having a heated steering wheel is a big minus, espically since I will be paying for a "loaded" LR with PUP model. I may end up waiting until the heated wheel is available.

GSP

Sometimes I wonder how many 1st world problem threads we can come up with.

Actually, while that's funny, a heated steering wheel would actually be helpful in a lot of cases -- most often in cheaper cars that will be frequently parked outdoors. You don't need a heated steering wheel in a Mercedes, as they likely never sit outdoors. But in the run of the mill crap cars that live outdoors, it would be nice if heated steering wheels were an option.

I spent the first 10 or so years of my driving age life with the car always parked outdoors, and the most serious issue I had with frozen body parts was my fingers. My old solution to this was to keep switching with one hand on the wheel, the other in front of the heat duct. Switch back and forth repeatedly. I could and did live without heated seats, but a heated steering wheel would have been awesome.

Needed in my Tesla now that I have a garage it stays in every night? Not at all.

Reactions: anonim1979
Other vehicles cannot precondition either, making the interior the perfect temperature before you even step in. I still stand by the idea that Elon planned on being much further along by now with autonomy than they are thus changing the way we look at and compare features to manually driven automobiles.