Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No heated steering wheel? (Leaf and Bolt have it)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote start on a keyless entry system pales in comparison to using your phone. They might work okay at home when the vehicle is in the garage (which you really shouldn't use with an ICE) or right out front. But rarely works when you're at the grocery store, restaurant, or basically anywhere else because by the time you're close enough to turn it on, you're about 10 seconds away from getting in the vehicle anyway.

Line of sight from a window is often enough.

Heated steering wheels are most important to ICE cars. ICE cars can take a long time to heat the cabin with the engine at idle. Until you put a load on the engine, it doesn't make much heat. Some diesels will not warm the cabin within 15 minutes if you just idle on a 30°F day. Block heaters are nice, but require 120v to work.

EVs can get warm pretty fast just sitting still.

Heated steering wheels are most important to ICE cars. ICE cars can take a long time to heat the cabin with the engine at idle. Until you put a load on the engine, it doesn't make much heat. Some diesels will not warm the cabin within 15 minutes if you just idle on a 30°F day. Block heaters are nice, but require 120v to work.

As someone who has owned EVs for almost 4 years, your statement isn't entirely helpful. While EVs can use resistive heating to quickly heat a cabin, it comes at a great cost of energy (even on shore power its very wasteful). Further, if you live in a cold area nothing beats a heated steering wheel. HVAC air blowing over the steering wheel isn't the same.

This is a standard feature and it would suck to not have it. LEAF heated steering wheel has hot spots whereas Tesla's is perfectly even and luxurious.

As someone who has owned EVs for almost 4 years, your statement isn't entirely helpful. While EVs can use resistive heating to quickly heat a cabin, it comes at a great cost of energy (even on shore power its very wasteful). Further, if you live in a cold area nothing beats a heated steering wheel. HVAC air blowing over the steering wheel isn't the same.

This is a standard feature and it would suck to not have it. LEAF heated steering wheel has hot spots whereas Tesla's is perfectly even and luxurious.

It's not a standard feature. My $58,000 BMW only has the heated seats as it didn't have the winter package that includes the heated steering wheel and rear seats.

I totally get people desiring the feature. The mountain that has been made out of something that is solved by either pre-heating the cabin or wearing gloves.... let alone from people who live in relatively warm climates is kind of hilarious.

I don't understand at this point why people are even complaining... it's not like Tesla is going to add it in the immediate future... if it's a huge deal breaker for someone then they should wait until it's available.

As someone who have owned heated steering wheel EVs for 4 years as well as gasoline and diesel vehicles with heated steering wheels, I can say a 5 minute cabin preheat from my cellphone has no effect on anything but the EVs. In "late for work" mode, the EVs are warm sooner to a non-preheat, non-blockheater ICE driven mildly at first to avoid engine damage.

Now keep in mind none of my EVs or ICE vehicles had an MSRP of under $40k.

On a cold day, I'll take an EV as first choice, certainly over the diesels.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Sorry, that is incorrect. Thermal mass is the product of the amount of it (assuming by amount you mean its mass) and its specific heat capacity. The correct way to state it would be to say the amount of heat required to heat something is based on its thermal mass or is based on the amount of it (mass) and its specific heat (capacity).

Correct. I meant to write Specific Heat or Heat Capacity, and amount of stuff. Specific Heat being energy per degree by mass, and Heat Capacity being energy per degree by volume. Thermal Mass being the product of either of those (energy per degree). Sorry for any confusion. Thanks for the keeping me on my toes.

My point about energy stands.

Thank you kindly.

Heated steering wheels are most important to anyone who has to drive where it's cold. When it's under 30°F outside, I have to wear gloves as the steering wheel is cold no matter how warm the cabin is. It's got nothing to do with ICE vs. EV. It's just an awesome thing to have for winter driving. I'll never get another car without a heated steering wheel.

And I agree with all that croman says. I've been driving an EV for almost 4 years. Both my LEAF and S have a heated steering wheel. The LEAF's heats in a sine wave: it gets too hot and then cuts off completely, cycling every 10-15 minutes. You've got to override the on/off manually if you want constant comfort.

Heated steering wheels are most important to anyone who has to drive where it's cold. When it's under 30°F outside, I have to wear gloves as the steering wheel is cold no matter how warm the cabin is. It's got nothing to do with ICE vs. EV. It's just an awesome thing to have for winter driving. I'll never get another car without a heated steering wheel.

And I agree with all that croman says. I've been driving an EV for almost 4 years. Both my LEAF and S have a heated steering wheel. The LEAF's heats in a sine wave: it gets too hot and then cuts off completely, cycling every 10-15 minutes. You've got to override the on/off manually if you want constant comfort.

So you've cancelled your preorder?

Let's see...20 Fahrenheit = -6.66 Celsius. OH MY GODS! THE HORROR! BARELY COLDER THAN FREEZING!

Call me back when it gets down to -25F.

We traumatized an Ontarian meteorologist here in SK when she called -15C "bitterly cold." That's a nice winter day here.

Neat to see someone from Saskatoon here :) I once dated someone from Dalmeny, so I got to experience it during the winter. The locals found my reaction to the weather amusing ;) (I grew up in Texas and had been going to school in Indiana).

I'm going to take a wild guess here that you preheat your Tesla ;)

• Funny
Reactions: gambit48
. The LEAF's heats in a sine wave

This "sine wave" you speak of...........sounds familiar......

DF4I-geVYAAC5RY.jpg

What's it like in the winter? Vegas may get to 120 in the summer, but it drops below freezing in the winter. Same here. I could have sworn I've seen pictures of Zion National Park covered in snow.

We get an occasional pathetic "dusting" of snow that melts before it hits the ground, but it's like once every couple of years. Zion is a little further north so they might get a touch more. Most of the time it's similar weather to Vegas, just a few degrees cooler.

I keep trying to find a place to move that doesn't feel like I'm living on the sun every day.

Looks like the 2018 Leaf has a heated steering wheel:
2012 leaf has a heated steering wheel, even some 2011 leafs had it as part of a cold weather package but all 2012 or newer got it standard.

I used it today when it was in the 60s F and raining (I don't know the temperature of the rain but there was a 20 degree delta just a few miles away where it was sunny vs where it was raining). It was nice to warm my hands after walking through the rain and grabbing a cold door handle.

So get one of those.

The problem with "one of those" is that it doesn't have cooling for the HV battery pack.

I like my hands warm and my batteries to not to degrade 6+% a year, every year.

My 2012 is at 68% SOH, which would be horrible if I didn't get it so cheap as a used car. I feel sorry for the person that paid MSRP when it was new.

Reactions: TimM.