Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No HIFi Tab in Tesla Tidal App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I have an issue in my 2022 Y that’s been driving me nuts regarding the TIDAL app. I subscribe to Tidal HIFI PLUS and have access to MQA master recordings. I have access to MQA masters on my smartphone as well as my at home network player. However in my Tesla, I do not have access to MQA recordings on the Tidal app. I recently found out that the Tesla Tidal app does not support MQA and I understand and accept that. My issue is that my Tesla Tidal app is NOT even supporting HIFI playback which is very frustrating. None of my music in my Tesla app shows the HIFI Tab so I’m pretty certain I’m not getting the highest quality playback that the app will allow. I have tried logging out and back in on the Tesla Tidal app and nothing changes. Is there anyone out there that can offer a solution to my problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time

Hello,
I have an issue in my 2022 Y that’s been driving me nuts regarding the TIDAL app. I subscribe to Tidal HIFI PLUS and have access to MQA master recordings. I have access to MQA masters on my smartphone as well as my at home network player. However in my Tesla, I do not have access to MQA recordings on the Tidal app. I recently found out that the Tesla Tidal app does not support MQA and I understand and accept that. My issue is that my Tesla Tidal app is NOT even supporting HIFI playback which is very frustrating. None of my music in my Tesla app shows the HIFI Tab so I’m pretty certain I’m not getting the highest quality playback that the app will allow. I have tried logging out and back in on the Tesla Tidal app and nothing changes. Is there anyone out there that can offer a solution to my problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time
You need to download the songs while the car is under Wi-Fi coverage. Only the downloaded songs will show hifi label.

You need to download the songs while the car is under Wi-Fi coverage. Only the downloaded songs will show hifi label.
Ok. I think you maybe on to something but I’m still confused. I have created play lists on my phone TIDAL app and they are tabbed MQA and play back at that high quality. But When I go to MY COLLECTION in my TESLA TIDAL app I see my playlists and all the songs I downloaded which is good but they are ONLY tabbed as HIFI and playback as HIFI when my Tesla is connected to my home network like in the garage. When I’m driving on the road I do NOT see any HIFI tabs and the playback is at a noticeably lower quality. Why isn’t the HIFI quality carrying over to my car outside of my network. It does in my phone no matter where I go. Please explain and tell me what I need to do Thanks you so very much

Ok. I think you maybe on to something but I’m still confused. I have created play lists on my phone TIDAL app and they are tabbed MQA and play back at that high quality. But When I go to MY COLLECTION in my TESLA TIDAL app I see my playlists and all the songs I downloaded which is good but they are ONLY tabbed as HIFI and playback as HIFI when my Tesla is connected to my home network like in the garage. When I’m driving on the road I do NOT see any HIFI tabs and the playback is at a noticeably lower quality. Why isn’t the HIFI quality carrying over to my car outside of my network. It does in my phone no matter where I go. Please explain and tell me what I need to do Thanks you so very much
There were some good posts on this when TIDAL came out on Tesla. I suggest you search this forum more.

You are correct that the Tesla TIDAL will play HIFI of any song being played while on WIFI. However, that does not mean the song (played while on WIFI) is thereafter permanently downloaded and stored on your Tesla's storage. This would actually be undesirable because the Tesla only allows you to hold a limited number of downloaded (HIFI) songs.

If you want a HIFI song on your Tesla when there is no WIFI (i.e., when you're driving around), then you need to select Download on that song (or playlist) in advance of being on WIFI or while on WIFI. The Tesla will then download that song the next time on WIFI for long enough. Once the song is downloaded to your Tesla, it will play back as HIFI even if there is no cellular internet connection.

There is a limit to the number of songs the Tesla will store. I can't remember what it is, but I'm going to guess it's between 50 and 100. You'll know if it's full because it will tell you when you try to download another.

• Informative
Reactions: jr_gn
There were some good posts on this when TIDAL came out on Tesla. I suggest you search this forum more.

You are correct that the Tesla TIDAL will play HIFI of any song being played while on WIFI. However, that does not mean the song (played while on WIFI) is thereafter permanently downloaded and stored on your Tesla's storage. This would actually be undesirable because the Tesla only allows you to hold a limited number of downloaded (HIFI) songs.

If you want a HIFI song on your Tesla when there is no WIFI (i.e., when you're driving around), then you need to select Download on that song (or playlist) in advance of being on WIFI or while on WIFI. The Tesla will then download that song the next time on WIFI for long enough. Once the song is downloaded to your Tesla, it will play back as HIFI even if there is no cellular internet connection.

There is a limit to the number of songs the Tesla will store. I can't remember what it is, but I'm going to guess it's between 50 and 100. You'll know if it's full because it will tell you when you try to download another.
That’s just great. I’m very clear now and fully understand. Thank you so very much for solving my problem. It is GREATLY appreciated!!

Reactions: Brian-MS90D

If you download a song over lte in tidal (assuming you can) once it’s living in the cars storage, will it then have Hifi tag and play Hifi?

@rjpjnk I believe you are correct. I read @MikeRadio 's post too quickly.

I would rewrite his question as:
"If you [stream] a song over lte in tidal... will it then have Hifi tag and play Hifi?"

The answer is then, no. Nothing streamed is retained in Tidal memory storage and nothing streamed is Hifi.

For Hifi, you must select Download on a song and that download must occur on WIFI.

I could’ve sworn I used to be able to listen to songs tagged “HiFi” while on LTE. I have little or no downloaded content in my vehicle. Something has definitely changed.

I did notice, however, that I can listen to songs tagged as HiFi only while on WiFi while in my garage.

I have a 2018 Model 3 LR-RWD on current software version 2023.38.8

Very strange.