Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No high amperage upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
Saw on the website there is no mention anymore for high amperage charge upgrade in both S and X. First they made it standard in the 100D. Does it mean that high amperage is now standard in 75D as well? Can't find anything on the website..

If you look at the details of a configured 100D it's still there. It's not in the list AS you configure it any longer. Makes no sense, I agree.

After you configure it, it shows the line items and it now shows there. It used to show as included like SAS.

These little changes are just baffling.

Edit: oops, it's really not there now. The above was the case a day or so ago. Other thread in X/Battery.

The recent case was that only the 100's had the 72 and nothing could get a 'legal' upgrade. Some SC's had parts to do it. Now with no cars having 72 Amp (?) charger from favorite, maybe there will be no upgrades?

Love to hear the new reality on this!

Last edited:
IMG_0949.PNG
There is something hosed on the site. I just went in and configured an X 100D and it's back what I saw a day or so ago. The 72 Amp charger is NOT mentioned at all but when you get to the bottom, it's in the line item list.

I got it to 'show' in the line item list by toggling every option I have (which is all of them, lol).

Reactions: Kacey Green
We have two threads running on this... it appears if you do the config in a 'private window', no previous history, cache, etc. that the list at the bottom may not appear, but when you click on the Next button to go to the next page to get the order summary, the charger does show up there for the 100D. Still no idea why it's been made so complicated.

If anyone is seeing a different answer, let me know and I'll test further, but that's what seems to be the case. The 100D stil has it!

We have two threads running on this... it appears if you do the config in a 'private window', no previous history, cache, etc. that the list at the bottom may not appear, but when you click on the Next button to go to the next page to get the order summary, the charger does show up there for the 100D. Still no idea why it's been made so complicated.

If anyone is seeing a different answer, let me know and I'll test further, but that's what seems to be the case. The 100D stil has it!
There you go, if you select 75D you don't get the "High Amperage Charger" listed on the following Order Page.
If you select "100D", you see "High Amperage Charger" listed on the following Order Page.

Of course, this could always change in a month or two...

Sorry if I do this wrong. I'm supposed to get my new x next week. I bought one that was built but not sold. I am excited. I have been assured that this will have the newest motor. I hate to be doubting but I'm 70 and have life experience. Does anyone know how to tell if the vehicle has the new July motor etc?
I've been reading the forum for two solid weeks - I need to find a new hobby.

Sorry if I do this wrong. I'm supposed to get my new x next week. I bought one that was built but not sold. I am excited. I have been assured that this will have the newest motor. I hate to be doubting but I'm 70 and have life experience. Does anyone know how to tell if the vehicle has the new July motor etc?
I've been reading the forum for two solid weeks - I need to find a new hobby.
You are actually in a thread about the High Amp Charger.. But, no problem. If you car was manufactured after late June, it should have the new motors/software. Do you have an exact date for that? I've seen a post of one car made on June 26, I believe, that had the new hardware. July 1st was supposed to be the hard cutoff.

And, welcome to TMC.. it does merit a lot of reading! :D

How much do the different chargers cost? I'm not finding that info. When I had my wiring installed for my new house, I made sure to have them install 200 amp service, despite the electric company trying to dissuade me from it, insisting that I'd never have need for it ;) Just wanted to be sure!

How much do the different chargers cost? I'm not finding that info. When I had my wiring installed for my new house, I made sure to have them install 200 amp service, despite the electric company trying to dissuade me from it, insisting that I'd never have need for it ;) Just wanted to be sure!
I just had the unit installed in my house 100amp 240v plus a auto switch cutout because we have a back up generator.
$500

Surely you're just talking about the installation cost. I'm wondering about the cost of the unit.

The cost of the Tesla wall connector is $500 or $550 depending on the length of the cable: Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable

Note: You'll often see this referred to as a HPWC, or High Powered Wall Connector. That was the old name (now just called Wall Connector), but the acronym has stuck around here.

If you have other, non-Tesla EVs you can also buy other branded EVSEs, like Clipper Creek or Schneider.

more subtlety, if you play around with their electrical vs. gas savings calculator, you see that the "max" charge times are noted by Battery Offering:

• A Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 60 amp / 240 volt circuit breaker will achieve the maximum charge rate of 11.5 kW for 75 kWh configured vehicles.
  • A Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 90 amp / 240 volt circuit breaker will achieve the maximum charge rate of 17.2 kW for a 100 kWh configured vehicle.