Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No-Hole Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also FYI if you didn't get license plate screws included with the front adapter from Tesla, the size of the screws are #10 3/4 inch.

Haha good to know but too late for me. I went to home depot and saw they have License Plate bolts and bought those. Way too big. But luckily I found 2 screws in my tool box that fit... missing 2 at the bottom but it will hold.

Tighten the bolts enough so that the front plate holder doesn't move with moderate force when you try to wiggle it.

I realize it's not easy to give more specifics. My initial try was too loose as the mount loosened up with just 50 miles of driving. I am going to use my mini torq wrench and note how much nm force I use starting low. I don't think the louvers and posts are not very strong since they are plastic. Will report back after a few weeks with exact nm tightening force.

I realize it's not easy to give more specifics. My initial try was too loose as the mount loosened up with just 50 miles of driving. I am going to use my mini torq wrench and note how much nm force I use starting low. I don't think the louvers and posts are not very strong since they are plastic. Will report back after a few weeks with exact nm tightening force.
I didnt specify torque setting because I assumed majority of the Tesla owners dont have access to torque wrench. I won't be able to get a torque setting number within next 2 weeks. If you able to do that before me, I would appreciate you posting it.

I didnt specify torque setting because I assumed majority of the Tesla owners dont have access to torque wrench. I won't be able to get a torque setting number within next 2 weeks. If you able to do that before me, I would appreciate you posting it.

I tried to use the torque wrench, but the bolts turn too easily and could not get a reading. I can accurately measure about 3 nm and even that was too high. "Finger tight" is generally about 2 nm so it seems there is a lot of give on the plastic louvers. What I ended up doing is finger tightening by reaching behind the license plate and turning the bolt until I can't turn anymore. The rubber coating you put on the bolts gives pretty good grip. Once I tightened as much I could with my fingers I used a wrench to turn 2 more revolutions. Definitely tight fit, but I can still move the plate side to side with moderate force with my thumbs.

Reactions: TexasRat
I'm interested in this, but it looks like the top of the plate bracket rests directly against the front of the car and would cause a lot of scratching and scuffing. Anyone able to speak to this?
No scratches on mine, if you are concerned put a piece of felt or wrap like xpel. Plate holder is made of soft plastic and wont scrtach. The plate holder itself doesnt move when the vehicle is any type of motion or during car wash. I had it on for more than a year and no issues. I hear so many other people using it as well.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky
I have suntek ppf on it, but even if it wasn't there, I'm not worried. It's loose-fitting up where it touches. I can lift it forward to wash it and wipe it down w/ a microfiber each time I clean the car. I think you do have to make sure you occasionally make sure to check the tightness of it since I only hand-tightened it and it can come a little loose.

• Helpful
Reactions: BlueRidgeksky