Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Holiday Update for MCU1 / AP2 ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got 2019.40.50.7 on her Model 3, but still no sign of that holiday update for MCU1 / AP2 vehicles....anyone have it yet on early refresh vehicle ? Wondering if we'll get it at all, if it'll have all the features including talk to text, expanded voice commands, etc...or is this "holiday update" only going out for MCU2 ,AP 2.5 / AP3 vehicles ? I was hoping for some holiday cheer, but so far it looks like only a lump of coal for earlier vehicles....

It’s a shame but technically we aren’t owed this or any update (except FSD for those that paid for it). On the one hand the lease is up on my 2017 AP2/MCU1 Model S in September. I love the car and would buy it at the end of the lease if I could get a HW3/MCU2 upgrade, but that’s not likely. So I’ll turn it in and lease a new Model 3 or Model S which at the end of the day is what Tesla really wants. We are lucky to get OTA FREE software updates that add features, but at the end of the day from a business standpoint they want to sell you a new car at some point. AP2/MCU1 cars will get less and less new goodies going forward.

Our 2018 X 100D has received 3 updates of the holiday release.

Our 2017 S 100D hasn't received any updates.

Respectfully must disagree with "We are lucky to get OTA FREE software updates that add features". Tesla has advertised "free OTA updates for life" as a significant difference between Tesla and other manufacturers, adding new features to vehicles well after purchase.

It's understandable that new features that depend on specific hardware (such as AP1 vs AP2) would not be distributed to older vehicles.

However, for many of the new software features that have been omitted for MCU1 vehicles, it is a business not a technical limitation on providing those features on MCU1 vehicles - Tesla has evidently decided to ramp down software development for MCU1 vehicles, which are rapidly becoming a very small fraction of Tesla's delivered vehicles.

And that would be OK, if Tesla provided MCU1 owners the option to upgrade to MCU2 and get access to the MCU2-only features.

Tesla (Musk) claims current vehicles have 500,000 mile batteries - and will deliver 1,000,000 mile vehicles soon. For those long life batteries to have real value, Tesla should be able to do better on providing longer term software support with new features. Our 2017 S 100D is less than 3 years old with only 35K miles - seems a little early for Tesla to decide to stop delivering most new software features.

When I prepaid for FSD more than three years ago, Tesla claimed that all Tesla vehicles came with all hardware necessary for full self driving.

It turned out that was wrong. A new computer is required. But that's OK, because Elon promised that everyone who prepaid would get the upgraded computer for free.

Now it seems there's a real problem integrating the HW3 computer with MCU1 cars. I say "seems" because AFAIK Tesla hasn't said anything at all about this specific situation. Elon has tried to tamp down the expectations of people who want to pay for an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade, saying it would be expensive and difficult, which makes me kinda nervous.

I have to say I'm pretty annoyed that people who've bought cars in the last month have significant new features in the holiday release that I don't have, and have no idea when or if I'll ever get them.

Tesla must have known about this issue for many months, likely years, since HW3 was in development. It would be nice if they could tell us what's going on.

I do find it a bit irritating that the Model S/X early adopters are being treated like second class citizens especially since the ASP of the S/X is significantly higher than M3 ... seems kind of backwards to me ... part of my reason for accelerating my MS purchase was my (incorrect) thinking that MS/MX would be the premium models ... not the case as far as OTA updates are concerned .. should have waited for the M3 all the effort is focused there.

Reactions: Corsair
Well, hope's cheap. Indulge yourself...but I'm less interested in watching Netflix™ on my center screen than I am in the FSD visualizations I don't have.

Yes on that x20. While I love the appeal to new buyers (Netflix and Tesla), I just dont spend time in my car while charging. Want better AP in all sense of the world. Want less nag and less toybox.

So instead of more cowbell (Easter Egg)

Give me some less nag and better AP