Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No home charging / WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I have a Model Y LR being delivered in 2 weeks time. It's a company car and couldn't turn down the opportunity to own my dream car, despite living in a flat and unable to get home charging / WiFi updates.

My work does have charging options and I'm 15 Mins away from a super charger. I'm also guessing I can use a friend's WiFi for updates when I go over.

Does anyone have any tips on the above aside from moving to a house?

Would be great to hear from someone in the same boat to give me a bit of reassurance. The range anxiety etc is hitting me now!

Thanks in advance!

You’ll be fine. I’ve had my M3 RWD LFP since March this year. I live in a terrace house in Bath and have to deal with on street parking and have no reserved spaces! I use one of the four nearby local GeniePoint chargers that are 50kW scattered around (closest is 5 minutes away). My wife’s workplace that is also a 5 minute drive away/20 minute walk have yet to get chargers installed still. So having to rely on nearby public infrastructure completely.

Also when it comes to updates if you wait long enough/or they’re important enough it’ll probably come down via your car’s LTE connection. Or if you’re inpatient like me connect your car to your phone’s hotspot and use your mobile data to download them.

Fortunately I’ll wave goodbye to this next year once our new semi-detached house has been renovated and I’ll have a driveway to park on!

You can use your phone as a personal WiFi hotspot to do software updates wherever you have good mobile coverage, subject to your data cap. Once the update has downloaded, you don't need to sit in the car anymore and can let it install and walk away.
That's fantastic to know! I have unlimited data as well so that's super handy. Great tip and really appreciate the response.

Reactions: boombap
You’ll be fine. I’ve had my M3 RWD LFP since March this year. I live in a terrace house in Bath and have to deal with on street parking and have no reserved spaces! I use one of the four nearby local GeniePoint chargers that are 50kW scattered around (closest is 5 minutes away). My wife’s workplace that is also a 5 minute drive away/20 minute walk have yet to get chargers installed still. So having to rely on nearby public infrastructure completely.

Also when it comes to updates if you wait long enough/or they’re important enough it’ll probably come down via your car’s LTE connection. Or if you’re inpatient like me connect your car to your phone’s hotspot and use your mobile data to download them.

Fortunately I’ll wave goodbye to this next year once our new semi-detached house has been renovated and I’ll have a driveway to park on!
Thanks for the response. Filled me with confidence right up until the last sentence! Do you think it's easy enough? I currently do like 500 miles a month, rarely more unless it's a road trip. I'm guessing I won't have to charge more than 2/3 times a month which should be more than bearable?

If you have a reserved parking spot and/or charging at work you’ll be absolutely fine. Nothing to worry about.

The reason why I’ve become a little fraught over the last 8 months is because up until recently 2 out of the 4 GeniePoint 50 kW chargers were broken and one of the ones that was working was vandalised and taped up. There was a BP 50 kW one, but that was down for most of this year and was only repaired in the summer, it was also more expensive than the GeniePoint. Non supercharger networks are generally less reliable. Plus bundled with the fact that I have to fight for a space to park where I live (owing to living in a high density student area), means I often have to park a few streets away or double yellow it over night. During holidays it’s fine… but when it’s not, I find myself having to go charge my car at 5am so I can get back before 7am and to guarantee that my space is still there.

We’ve had a M3SR+ since November 2019 and are in a similar situation.
Flat with no home charging and space too far away for WiFi.

Charging - luckily we only live a mile away from a supercharger now so that is a convenient place to top up for 10-20 minutes on the way home a couple of times a week. Before the supercharger we had BP Pulse (it was called Polar back then) that had plenty of 50kW chargers dotted around the city centre and near supermarkets, so it’s never been that much of a problem to plug in whilst you run some errands. Charging spaces at work are unfortunately too competitive these days and unless I fancy getting in an hour and a half early I have no chance.

WiFi - Several options for this. The simplest is using your own mobile hotspot on your phone (best to tick the box that says to stay connected when driving on the network settings) so you can download as you make your journey. For a while we were lucky enough to have a friendly neighbour who lived next to the parking space and didn’t mind us connecting. Also, some superchargers (I think mainly at service centres) have WiFi that the car automatically connects to, you download whilst you charge.
The car is fine downloading a little bit at a time, doesn’t need to do it all in one go, so can get an update downloaded over a few journeys/days.

Despite the lack of convenience compared to driveway owners (and I’m sure some would call me mad) we’ve enjoyed it so much we’ve ordered a MYLR to replace my ICE car so we will be a fully EV household!

Reactions: Xdeanyy and M1tch
Also many Tesla superchargers have WiFi if you are charging there, although you can't charge during installation
I had noticed this while at the reading supercharger but it didn’t appear that the car automatically connected (had lock symbols next to each access point). Attempting to tap to connect to each one refused.

Is there a way to tell?

Given the recent reduction is SuperCharger pricing outside peak hours to typically 35p /kwh it's not going to be particularly expensive to just use the fastest charging available. Doing the maths

500 miles a month at 4 miles/kwh = 125 KWH = 31.25 KWH a week

31.25 KWH will take about 20-25 minutes and cost £10 if the prices remain 35p off peak.

You will find that charging in the lower range say 20%-50% faster than 60%-90%.

I had noticed this while at the reading supercharger but it didn’t appear that the car automatically connected (had lock symbols next to each access point). Attempting to tap to connect to each one refused.

Is there a way to tell?
I've not seen Wifi at a SuperCharger, by Reading do you mean at the Service Centre? I think the wifi there is for them.

Always have a plan B for charging. Also have a Plan C, D & E just in case, yes it does happen.

Free charging is "almost" a thing of the past (unless at work!) so don't go chasing it. But you can still budget if you shop around the networks.

It takes time but give it around 3-6 months and you will know where all the chargers in your area that you will use and which work well.

USE ZAP MAPS (other apps available) - look at the newest comments about the chargers. This can give you tips about them. Such as busy sites, Chargers not working etc.

I luckily have work chargers 3kw ones, but when I’m not working (Holidays/weekends) i use the public network if i need too.

Plan your weekly/daily shopping at places with chargers (Tesco/Asda/Lidl/Morrisons etc). Usually 7kw at these places but they do 22kw & 50kw at some. Also avoid peak times (4-7pm) as you will likely not get a charger. Again this comes with time and knowing your public charger area well.

If you can, always plug in.

Last one - get an electric scooter and throw in the boot. Plug car in on a 7kw nearby and scoot back home. Scoot back and pick up when charge finished :)

Edit - Forgot - Wifi - Hotspot it. As mentioned above. Thats what i do.

Last edited:
It will be totally fine.

I've been running an M3 LR for about a year now. I can't get a home charger, and also no WI FI access from home.

All my software updates have been done using my phone as a WiFi hotspot. No problems at all with download/install.

I use a mix of superchargers and others. Any long trips are covered by Tesla superchargers - it's so easy and quick. My supercharger is 5 mins away, next to a Starbucks so by the time I've walked across for a coffee/sticky bun and come back you can add 20/30% easy.

There's a 7 Kw charger a couple of streets away from me, Tesco have some 7Kw and 22 Kw chargers, so I plug in when I'm shopping. The gym car park has a 7Kw charger and the builders are away to put one in our private car park. I can only really think of a couple of times I've really had to make a visit to the supercharger just because I'm running low.

I'd still hesitate to own any EV that isn't a Tesla. The public network up here is still way too unreliable and sparse for it to be comfortable without the safety net of the supercharger network.

Given the recent reduction is SuperCharger pricing outside peak hours to typically 35p /kwh it's not going to be particularly expensive to just use the fastest charging available. Doing the maths

500 miles a month at 4 miles/kwh = 125 KWH = 31.25 KWH a week

31.25 KWH will take about 20-25 minutes and cost £10 if the prices remain 35p off peak.

You will find that charging in the lower range say 20%-50% faster than 60%-90%.

I've not seen Wifi at a SuperCharger, by Reading do you mean at the Service Centre? I think the wifi there is for them.
Yeah was the the Reading Service centre.
Though on the screen, it has the wifi symbol so assuming that there is wifi nearby - not via the supercharger stand.

Though, I forgot that I have a mifi device with a data simcard which I keep in the car. Bought it from o2 a few months ago (no idea if it's unlimited data so will find out soon haha) but connect the tesla to this device.

That's fantastic to know! I have unlimited data as well so that's super handy. Great tip and really appreciate the response.
when you create hotspot on your phone and first time connect to it with you car, do not forget to tick "Stay connected while driving". in this case you will be able to download updates whatever even while driving. Otherwise wifi disconnects as soon as you in D

Filled me with confidence right up until the last sentence! Do you think it's easy enough? I currently do like 500 miles a month, rarely more unless it's a road trip. I'm guessing I won't have to charge more than 2/3 times a month which should be more than bearable?

Kudos to anyone going electric with no off road parking. I'm fortunate to be rural, 2x EV on the drive, 2x car chargers, owned property so I have chosen to put enough Solar on the roof that we get 1,000 miles a month into the cars in the Summer. Basically like night and day to someone in rented property with on-street-parking.

But ... the infrastructure is WAY better than it was a while ago, and is only going to get better during your ownership (offset by more EV owners chasing the new chargers)

I could do with someone explaining to me the business model of "Install some chargers, and when they break take months to fix them" along with "Make everyone become a member before they can use the system"

Streets will have chargers installed - e.g. in lampposts. Hopefully your street will be first! Maybe you could hassle the council about that? If they are planning to do it, then prioritising (YOUR!) streets where there is at least one user might make sense?

There are also solutions for getting a cable across the pavement (e.g. some councils will install a narrow channel in the pavement, into which you can push your cable so that there is no trip hazard) - but that will only work on days when you can park outside your door - once everyone has an EV neighbour collaboration will solve that ... maybe.

Weekly shop might be an opportunity to charge? If you are in a hurry then Supercharger/similar will get you 10% - 80% in 20-ish minutes. That will also usually be the most expensive juice.

7kW (a regular single phase wall charger) is about 25 MPH - so you need to be parked up for 4 hours for 100 mile top-up. Great for overnight at home, but its a long shopping stop! Unless you have a fold up bike and can get home and come back "a lot later"?

So you could do with something better than 7kW for your shopping-stop-and-charge

13AMP is 5-7 MPH - and the losses are greater than 7+kW, so fine for when parked at Rellies for the weekend, probably not for much else unless you are in a position to help yourself to someone else's power :)

Any charging near work? Walking / fold-up-bike distance?

Two crowd-sources of data are Zap-Map and Plugshare. Personally I find the drilldown in-and-out-repeatedly of Zap-Map makes it hard to see what is actually available at a site (how many stalls are THIS kW and how many THAT kW), so I prefer PlugShare. But I think in reality you need both - both allow user comments, so if someone is typing "Its broken" in one then you need to see it (doubtful many people bother to type that into both of them!)- so reading the comments on both APPs probably prudent before setting off. They will also enable you to figure out what is available near you, what APPs you are going to have to own in order to use them (unless a stall has contactless - v. rare that at present - unless you are near a GridServe, THAT is what the future of 3rd party looks like)

Reactions: davidmc
Kudos to anyone going electric with no off road parking.
K-POP (Kerb Parking Only Posse) say thank you. My house is fully EV (2nr - Tesla & id4)
But ... the infrastructure is WAY better than it was a while ago, and is only going to get better during your ownership (offset by more EV owners chasing the new chargers)
Its massively changed in the 3 (and a bit) years i have had my M3.

Reactions: WannabeOwner