Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No home charging / WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can use your phone as a personal WiFi hotspot to do software updates wherever you have good mobile coverage, subject to your data cap. Once the update has downloaded, you don't need to sit in the car anymore and can let it install and walk away.
I recently realized I could download updates while my car is parked when I'm shopping. You need to be sure you have your car key as well as your phone. Start the mobile hotspot on your phone, then start your wifi on the car and ensure it begins to download a software update. After I park somewhere to shop, I turn off the bluetooth connection on my phone. This means the Tesla app will not work as long as it's not connected to the car. Leave the phone inside the car out of sight. Get out of your car and use your Tesla car key to lock the car. While you are shopping the mobile hotspot will continue to download the update. Then use the Tesla car key to open the car, and turn on you bluetooth connection, selecting the Tesla app.

I not longer hang around, twiddling my thumbs, while updating.

Poor Wi-Fi has been an issue since day 1 for us. Previously it was just adequate to a WAP in the garage (didn’t even see house wifi) but recent year it’s been terrible so I turned it on only as needed because of that and wanting to limit software updates.

I don’t know if anything changed (an earlier post by a very knowledgeable owner explained sounded like it was poor software implementation so probably fixable OTA) but I just swapped home hub/router from Plusnet Hub One to their Hub Two) and we now get house wifi offered. I connected to that and it’s given pretty decent performance, far better than our dedicated garage WAP. After a reboot for 2022.48.25.x install it immediately offered .30 which I started download whilst in car. Download speed was pretty decent.

So anyone on Plusnet with Hub One, if you get offered a P&P only upgrade to Hub Two, you might find that you get a decent connection if it was previously flakey or in our case, non existent.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I recently realized I could download updates while my car is parked when I'm shopping. You need to be sure you have your car key as well as your phone. Start the mobile hotspot on your phone, then start your wifi on the car and ensure it begins to download a software update. After I park somewhere to shop, I turn off the bluetooth connection on my phone. This means the Tesla app will not work as long as it's not connected to the car. Leave the phone inside the car out of sight. Get out of your car and use your Tesla car key to lock the car. While you are shopping the mobile hotspot will continue to download the update. Then use the Tesla car key to open the car, and turn on you bluetooth connection, selecting the Tesla app.

Or you can just toggle the setting to leave wifi on while driving and then you don’t even have to leave your phone in the car.

Reactions: Vidyutyaan

Alternatively, you might want to consider getting a standalone hotspot. Obviously it's extra expense, but personally I don't like leaving my phone in the car, ever. (But downloading the update while you're driving somewhere is a fine alternative, too.)