Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Homelink, No Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I certainly see the value in the homelink integration with summon but my M3 was delivered after homelink was removed as a standard feature.

I needed a replacement switch for my detached garage so today I installed a WIFI smart switch for my aging craftsman door opener. Worked perfectly with a smart home app. Then I used Alexa to automate the opening when I arrived inside a geofence that I configured. I don’t like that I have to allow location servings for Alexa to be always on but I will determine if the value outweighs the loss of privacy.

This $45 switch provides handy phone app and home automation features.

Wireless Garage Door Opener Remote WiFi Switch Universal Controlled by Smartphone for Automatic Gate Opener System (with Door Sensor) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFWPX27/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X4JXDbE1NWF1V

The issue will be if sometimes you leave the house without your car (like, maybe you take another car, you get picked up, take a walk, etc.). No matter when/how you come home, your door will always open... if that works, then you're good.

When I got started with home automation (c. 2013), I had to use a slightly more complicated algorithm. When I (my phone) go "away" my system checks to see if the garage door was closed within the last 5 min - the thought being that I very likely took the car in this case. If so, it sets a flag so that the next time I appear it will open the door. Since I got the Tesla (which included homelink), I don't need use this for my car, but for my wife's non-Tesla it still works great.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The issue will be if sometimes you leave the house without your car (like, maybe you take another car, you get picked up, take a walk, etc.). No matter when/how you come home, your door will always open... if that works, then you're good....

I might want to loo closer at that. I did find other hardware that was more complete and easier to install on amazon. So this is a good multi door product but there are single door products that might be better for someone's application.

I saw on another forum a guy that simply bought a keychain size garage door opener and he attached it to the back of the screen in the car with double sided tape so it cannot be seen. All the convenience of a garage door opener without the ugly remote on your visor. I liked that.

Reactions: JBT66 and lottadot
Bought a Model III only to find out that it's an extra $350.
I solved the problem another way.
$284 - tax, 10% vet discount and installation
It has an app and everyone in the family benefits
It's ironic that the car in the image is an EV
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 2.35.02 PM.png

Reactions: Jason1652
Bought a Model III only to find out that it's an extra $350.
I solved the problem another way.
$284 - tax, 10% vet discount and installation
It has an app and everyone in the family benefits
It's ironic that the car in the image is an EV
View attachment 670585
Hey let's let my 4 year old fly my $1200 DJI Phantom III next to my brand new $50K electric luxury car. WTF?

OP are you just using the standard garage door opener? Or are you using one of the chamberlain MYQ options like using the app on your phone to open the door?

Hey let's let my 4 year old fly my $1200 DJI Phantom III next to my brand new $50K electric luxury car. WTF?
LOL hahahah!
OP are you just using the standard garage door opener? Or are you using one of the chamberlain MYQ options like using the app on your phone to open the door?

Using a Chamberlain motor along with MYQ app, home link and Siri.
This allows for EVERYONE in the house to benefit for less $ than what Tesla was charging for one car to benefit.​

Reactions: TBrownTX
I decided to just clip a remote from my garage door opener to the sunvisor, just like in my previous, cheaper cars... Old school.
I have a better solution for you... which I got from this forum, so want to pay it forward for you :). With double-sided tape (I just used 2 small squares, so it's not that hard to remove if I have to, like for a battery change), attach your remote behind the middle/bottom part of the screen, after cleaning it with alcohol. I used industrial strenght 3M tape (gray with red peel). It'll be basically invisible, convenient, and safer. It has worked like a charm since I bought the car 6 months ago. Hope this helps.

Ah, I'll think about that, thanks @elptxjc . I would never stick something at the top because you can see it from outside... But I'll think about the bottom...

I stuck mine inside the driver door pocket with a command strip. Only issue I have ever encountered, is that some bass notes cause the buttons to rattle! Going to see about quieting them down one of these days.

Tim

Reactions: nbeninati
Only issue I have ever encountered, is that some bass notes cause the buttons to rattle! Going to see about quieting them down one of these days
Here's a story I've told before: With our Nissan LEAF, there was a rattle I could never locate. Drove me crazy.

When we got the M3, I thought, "Man, I'm glad I'll never have to hear that rattle again." But as soon as I drove it down the street, there it was again.

Of course, it turned out to be the rattle from the garage door opener button, which I'd transferred to the visor of our new car.

I fixed it with some Scotch tape.

I went with a Tailwind IQ Garage Door opener since it was compatible with both of my openers and has auto open and close feature based on vehicle distance.