Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Homelink, No Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hahaha, I had no idea this was a thing, and yeah, the $300+

I just took one of our small garage remotes, removed the clip, used a couple of small strips of 3M, stuck it in the driver's side door pocket, on the inside, back a bit so I could still use the water bottle holder. It's hidden, works perfect, is easily reached (no different vs. a visor/mirror homelink button).

I do want to get our door on a HomeLink setup for the garage in the very near future, but figured this was a free, 5 minute solve :D

Hahaha, I had no idea this was a thing, and yeah, the $300+

I just took one of our small garage remotes, removed the clip, used a couple of small strips of 3M, stuck it in the driver's side door pocket, on the inside, back a bit so I could still use the water bottle holder. It's hidden, works perfect, is easily reached (no different vs. a visor/mirror homelink button).

I do want to get our door on a HomeLink setup for the garage in the very near future, but figured this was a free, 5 minute solve :D

Also stuck mine inside the driver door pocket with a command strip. Only problem is some bass notes cause the buttons to rattle!

Tim

I searched on threads but this one isn't jumping out at me and I see the homelink accessory....

My $60k car does not come with an integrated garage door opener?

No, it does not come with an integrated garage door opener. For more discussion on this topic, search for "no homelink" in the model 3 sections and you will come across threads discussing it.

===========================

(moderator note, I moved your post into a thread about other peoples work arounds, assuming you dont want to pay the $325 for homelink).

I felt a little bad about having to order the home Link remote. But a friend recently said he took delivery of a loaded Audi. Loaded with everything but........you guessed it, no garage door opener.
I read when Tesla removed Homelink that GM was doing the same thing also across many vehicles, with talk about royalties probably being an issue (maybe Homelink was gouging certain automakers). I guess it's a trend now to not include it.

Not a big deal to me as I use enter my remote or the myQ app on my phone. I do wish there was better integration of myQ with the car however (I know there is EVE for Tesla, but it would be nice if myQ had a native webpage that can just use it from Tesla's browser).

I used this black Hub to connect my existing door opener to myQ (many new openers now have myQ natively). They have now changed the design to a white one, but I presume it works the same. Basically there is a door sensor you stick to garage door (to detect open/close status) and there is a wifi connected remote control unit (which you just pair like any remote).
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B075H7Z5L8

Last edited:
They used to. Not any more. You can get one installed for ~300$

Wait till he finds out there's no spare tire.

Edit: a moderator move the OP as replies were being made. Slow it down

I think the replies happened "as" I was moving it, just like you mentioned. They certainly were not there when I clicked to move it to this thread.

Thanks for the tag @sduck, so I could consolidate these responses so they make sense again.

Reactions: sduck
I read when Tesla removed Homelink that GM was doing the same thing also across many vehicles, with talk about royalties probably being an issue (maybe Homelink was gouging certain automakers). I guess it's a trend now to not include it.

Not a big deal to me as I use enter my remote or the myQ app on my phone. I do wish there was better integration of myQ with the car however (I know there is EVE for Tesla, but it would be nice if myQ had a native webpage that can just use it from Tesla's browser).

I used this black Hub to connect my existing door opener to myQ (many new openers now have myQ natively). They have now changed the design to a white one, but I presume it works the same. Basically there is a door sensor you stick to garage door (to detect open/close status) and there is a wifi connected remote control unit (which you just pair like any remote).
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B075H7Z5L8
Unfortunately the two garage doors with myQ are not the ones I’ll be parking behind. The garage attached to the house still has rf only doors. I guess it’s either upgrade the car or the garage door opener.

Unfortunately the two garage doors with myQ are not the ones I’ll be parking behind. The garage attached to the house still has rf only doors. I guess it’s either upgrade the car or the garage door opener.
You can also use the myQ hub I linked or the newer one linked below. You just pair the myQ hub to your existing door opener like any remote, and install the door sensor onto the garage door. It's very easy. No need to buy a whole new garage door opener.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B08GD3D9YJ/

You can also use the myQ hub I linked or the newer one linked below. You just pair the myQ hub to your existing door opener like any remote, and install the door sensor onto the garage door. It's very easy. No need to buy a whole new garage door opener.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-MYQ-G0301/dp/B08GD3D9YJ/
They also make a HomeKit module, and you can "Hey Siri" your door opened/closed from your watch or phone. You can also setup automatons this way.

Tim

Just like everybody else... and it's a lot less than $300. Just include it in the freaking price, like most other near luxury and luxury vehicles.
Except even other brands (like Audi mentioned above) are removing it from standard options. You have plenty of entry level luxury cutting out even small things like lumbar controls, so it's no surprise Homelink is being cut out (especially if they aren't getting favorable royalty rates).

Reactions: TBrownTX