Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Homelink, No Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah it kinda sucks that you cant add it at the factory now. I bit the bullet like a month after car purchase and I feel like its been totally worth it. I have a community gate and my garage door so its nice not having to use 2 remotes. I keep auto down off but it preemptively brings up the garage door button when I leave the garage so I just have to poke the screen. Its really one of my favorite features.

I searched on threads but this one isn't jumping out at me and I see the homelink accessory....

My $60k car does not come with an integrated garage door opener?
I had mine installed yesterday, mobile tech, said it’s not that popular anymore……so Tesla wanted to use it as cost savings….crazy, but in a Y…pop out frunk, stick it in, in a 3, frunk and complete bumper/ cover gets removed…..ugggg

Attachments

• 63E5BDF2-D188-4D20-B8FF-CE5C14A59E02.jpeg
    63E5BDF2-D188-4D20-B8FF-CE5C14A59E02.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 128
If you consider it a $60,325 car I think it could have a garage door opener ;)
That's how I'm approaching it. There's just a mental block of paying for it after delivery, kinda like day one DLC for the gamers out there ;)
I had mine installed yesterday, mobile tech, said it’s not that popular anymore……so Tesla wanted to use it as cost savings….crazy, but in a Y…pop out frunk, stick it in, in a 3, frunk and complete bumper/ cover gets removed…..ugggg
Say what now? They have to remove the bumper? Great...is this something people have seen done on a mobile visit, or does it have to be done at a SC?

I ordered the Homelink. I did set up the Apple Shortcuts to use MyQ with Siri, but I have a gate as well as a garage door and the gate beeps 3 warnings before opening, and I'm not about that wait time every time I come home. I like the integration into the vehicle.

Reactions: hcdavis3
That's how I'm approaching it. There's just a mental block of paying for it after delivery, kinda like day one DLC for the gamers out there ;)

Say what now? They have to remove the bumper? Great...is this something people have seen done on a mobile visit, or does it have to be done at a SC?

I ordered the Homelink. I did set up the Apple Shortcuts to use MyQ with Siri, but I have a gate as well as a garage door and the gate beeps 3 warnings before opening, and I'm not about that wait time every time I come home. I like the integration into the vehicle.
Homelink isn’t included because Tesla has to pay a royalty fee on each one.

Yup. Removing the bumper is the only way to install Homelink. On my previous Tesla, mobile service came to my house to do the install.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Homelink isn’t included because Tesla has to pay a royalty fee on each one.
I’ve read that before. What exactly is a royalty fee in this context? Like there’s an ongoing fee that tesla pays each year of ownership?

A one time cost is simply paying a 3rd party for an auto part and something all auto companies do it for thousands of parts. Labeling that a “royalty“ seems like a way to make it sound onerous and unfair.

I’ve read that before. What exactly is a royalty fee in this context? Like there’s an ongoing fee that tesla pays each year of ownership?

A one time cost is simply paying a 3rd party for an auto part and something all auto companies do it for thousands of parts. Labeling that a “royalty“ seems like a way to make it sound onerous and unfair.
That’s a great question. I honestly don’t know how it works, but my guess it a one time charge to Tesla.

I think HomeLink require a one time fee (royalty) to use the system on a car. Instead of including it in each car, and thus raising the car price for everyone, it's been removed. Instead, each person that wants the feature pays the part a high price, which includes the royalty. That's how I think it works now, clearly the part isn't "worth" 300-400$.
There are other such royalty things but we normally don't see them. They are probably less pricey.

I use the Chamberlain MyQ system, but I have it integrated with Apple's HomeKit system. I just say "Hey Siri open the garage" into my watch when I'm near the house. Or I tell her to close it after I leave. HomeKit also knows to automatically close the garage after 5 minutes if no one is home.
You can buy a smart plug and use it to automate open and close with the HomeKit routines. That’s what I did.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Tell me more! How does the smart plug integrate with the automation? I'm a little wary of completely automating open/close but I'm curious enough to consider it.
Apple won't let you set an automation to open and close the garage door when you leave and come home. It does, but it will ask for confirmation on your phone, thus needing another step.

The work around is that you set the smart plug to turn on when you leave and off when you come home.

Then you set the garage to close when the smart plug turns on and open when the smart plug turns off. Work like a charm for me.

I dont' actually have anything plugged into the smart plug. It's actually just plugged in the wall in my theatre cabinet, nowhere near the garage on in sight of anything.

I’m using myQ w/ my Apple Watch.

Tim

Reactions: techlogik
Apple won't let you set an automation to open and close the garage door when you leave and come home. It does, but it will ask for confirmation on your phone, thus needing another step.

The work around is that you set the smart plug to turn on when you leave and off when you come home.

Then you set the garage to close when the smart plug turns on and open when the smart plug turns off. Work like a charm for me.

I dont' actually have anything plugged into the smart plug. It's actually just plugged in the wall in my theatre cabinet, nowhere near the garage on in sight of anything.
I thought that might be what you were getting at but wanted to make sure before I replied further.

I'm using a virtual switch to do the same thing you're doing with your smart plug. I use HomeBridge running in a virtual machine to add non-Homekit devices to Homekit. This allows me to use the MyQ without buying Chamberlin's hardware bridge. HomeBridge lets you create things like virtual switches that you can trigger for the purposes of making an automation work correctly. It's nice to not need any actual hardware.

I thought that might be what you were getting at but wanted to make sure before I replied further.

I'm using a virtual switch to do the same thing you're doing with your smart plug. I use HomeBridge running in a virtual machine to add non-Homekit devices to Homekit. This allows me to use the MyQ without buying Chamberlin's hardware bridge. HomeBridge lets you create things like virtual switches that you can trigger for the purposes of making an automation work correctly. It's nice to not need any actual hardware.
I thought about looking into that. Seems interesting

I never expected our new 2022 model 3 not to have homelink come standard with it. We hav a 2018 model 3 which was signicantly cheaper and we wee able to program the garage doors to open. Now it’s a 350 option and needs a Service call. Very annoying!

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I never expected our new 2022 model 3 not to have homelink come standard with it. We hav a 2018 model 3 which was signicantly cheaper and we wee able to program the garage doors to open. Now it’s a 350 option and needs a Service call. Very annoying!

Hasnt been included for at least a couple of years now (since at least 2019), and the only way your model 3 was "significantly cheaper" is if you had a SR version before, and bought a LR / P now.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt