Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Horn or Blinkers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU went out two days ago, yes the black screen of death! Well I scheduled an appointment with Tesla to get it repaired. 2 1/2 weeks out. I was informed that I would be able to drive the car until my appointment. So yesterday me and my wife decided to go to the mall, well on the way there we almost got side swipe by a truck I tried to honk the horn to stop him from merging into us, but the horn didn't work or the blinkers!! I had to hit the brakes! I called Tesla right away and was advised to take it to the service center right away, which I did! I had to drive about 40 minutes in work traffic on a Friday! My butt cheeks were squeezing the seat the whole way! I made it safely to the Rocklin service center and they took care of me right away with a replacement vehicle for the time being. I still love my model X and will by another! We are looking at the model y for my wife. Just waiting for the MCU upgrade for my 2016 model X is available.

I talked to the tech and was told that all commands go through the MCU. I pray Tesla stall an secondary system the controls the safety features that are needed so you can still drive the safely when the MCU goes out. This secondary needs to be its own cpu to process the commands so they stay functional. Just think if it goes out during rush hour with drivers driving aggressively, which you'll need a horn to alert that driver or drivers you are in the spot they are trying to get in. I feel Tesla has to been some what aware of the possibility of this being a problem, but haven't figured out how to correct the problem with as little financial impact to the company and investors!

I talked to the tech and was told that all commands go through the MCU. I pray Tesla stall an secondary system the controls the safety features that are needed so you can still drive the safely when the MCU goes out. This secondary needs to be its own cpu to process the commands so they stay functional. Just think if it goes out during rush hour with drivers driving aggressively, which you'll need a horn to alert that driver or drivers you are in the spot they are trying to get in. I feel Tesla has to been some what aware of the possibility of this being a problem, but haven't figured out how to correct the problem with as little financial impact to the company and investors!
They don’t make MCU1 anymore. That is how Tesla “corrects” the problem.

They should do the right thing and recall all MCU1 vehicles but they won’t until their hand is forced. Which hopefully will be soon since the NHTSA is investigating.

Reactions: hiroshiy