Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No install of front license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5 years ago, I got a $50 parking ticket "add-on" for not having a front licence plate. My Model Y came with the front license plate holder not installed. I think it will take me 30 minutes to install (reading directions, finding the right tools, cleaning so the glue will hold) and hopefully I will do it right. It's just a pain. I'm busy.

Why doesn't Tesla ask me before delivery if I would like the front license plate installed? How many people really do not want to the front license plate installed?

How many people really do not want to the front license plate installed?
a lot more customers than you think don't like attaching anything to the bumper. People are even willing to pay fines when front license is required by their state.

Just look at all the obsessiveness with paint protection films that go into the thousands of dollars. People can be very picky.

I think a lot of people do not want the plate. The thing is, once the holder is attached, it's extremely difficult to remove without damaging the bumper. If they just leave it off, it really does not hurt anything and if someone does want the plate, then the holder can be installed easily. It's probably the safest (and easiest...less work on their part) way for Tesla to make "everyone" happy.

I think a lot of people actually. There is a pretty good market for after market plate mounts (like four or five different brands!) that don't touch the paint. There are also people that don't run it at all. Finally you've got a decent number of people that put paint protection film on the front of the car and would have to remove the plate.

I too live in a state that has a front license plate requirement. I am glad the front plate holder was optional as I installed PPL to the front of our MY. I opted for the Quick Bandit mount which is very sturdy and mounts quickly to the grill and is easily removed.

I haven’t put a front plate on any of my cars in over 30 years. They’re fugly. Despite being ticketed for other things over the years, the missing front plate has only been an issue one time, when a state trooper used it as an excuse for a fishing expedition. As soon as he saw we were a harmless family of four he let us go with just a warning.

Reactions: kylegbraund
CA has a front license plate law, but the car the Tesla replaced was purchased from a state that didn’t have such a law, and Audi wanted $500 for the new front piece with the license plate bracket, and I really disliked the other cheaper options, so for seven years I didn’t have a front plate on the car, and never an issue. The SoCal SC didn’t install the front plate bracket on the Tesla, and once I get my personalized plates I’ll go to https://licenseplatewrap.com/ for an adhesive front plate.

I asked to have it installed purposely because of the fact it can be used by any officer as a reason to pull you over anytime here in WA. I've also seen countless cars get a ticket from the city for more minor things than that.

My thought was that it might not be pretty, but the hassle isn't worth the trouble. I offset the ugliness by getting personalized plates.

Reactions: benh57 and Anna St
Also, as an FYI to many, my MY did not come with a front plate holder. I did purchase a SnapPlate but after trying it out, returned it. I then asked the Service department to install the OEM one which seems like it fits and holds much better...and it's free. It might damage my paint in the future, but so be it.

Reactions: Anna St
I've never put front plates on my sports cars and I'm glad Tesla doesn't. I've lived in Texas, LA and now Portland, OR. I've never received a warning - even while the officer was handing me a speeding ticket - and that's happened alot...
But a parking cop will write you up. I just keep the front plate under the passenger mat and pop it on the dash when parking downtown. It's alway worked for me.