Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No key and no internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(This is just a hypothetical situation. I haven't lost my keys.)

At work, I park my MS in an underground garage that has low ceilings and no wifi or cell coverage. I got to thinking today: what if I lost my keys? I can't unlock the car through the app, because the car can't connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure a flatbed tow truck couldn't operate with ceilings that low. It would be hard to tow the car out of the garage on its own wheels without putting it in tow mode. What could be done?

Does the car have some sort of externally-accessible data port that a Tesla tech could connect to? Is it possible for them to make a key without access to the car or any current keys? Do they have (gasp) a master key? Any other ideas of how a car like this could be rescued?

(This is just a hypothetical situation. I haven't lost my keys.)

At work, I park my MS in an underground garage that has low ceilings and no wifi or cell coverage. I got to thinking today: what if I lost my keys? I can't unlock the car through the app, because the car can't connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure a flatbed tow truck couldn't operate with ceilings that low. It would be hard to tow the car out of the garage on its own wheels without putting it in tow mode. What could be done?

My wife's Model S broke down (dead, can't start) in a garage. Result was Tesla sent two tow trucks.

One small truck to get it out of the garage on something like this:

$(KGrHqV,!hsE8UoO17jIBPFLJqZITw~~60_35.JPG

Then, once out, the car could be loaded on to the big flat bed truck.

Pretty much the same as any standard car.

I've never seen wheel dollies with relatively big wheels like that. That'd probably work. Might be semi-nasty going up the ramps inside the garage, but those wheels look big enough that it seems plausible. Thanks.

(Not planning on losing all three keys!)