Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No key card? Reader swap?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just picked up a model 3 that was in an accident. It didn’t seem to include a key. I do have another car with a key and a card reader I could possible swap over. Would this work or would the car reject it? Thanks.

I dont know about the other subforums here on TMC, but the model 3 section has had "very" little member to member support for people with salvage model 3s.

I think the model S subform here has a more robust support because its a much older platforum, but there is very little discussion about people self repairing / re building these cars here on TMC, at least as of yet.

Perhaps when you find the answer, you can be one of the first to start relaying this information to others.

Upvote 0
I dont know about the other subforums here on TMC, but the model 3 section has had "very" little member to member support for people with salvage model 3s.

I think the model S subform here has a more robust support because its a much older platforum, but there is very little discussion about people self repairing / re building these cars here on TMC, at least as of yet.

Perhaps when you find the answer, you can be one of the first to start relaying this information to others.
Been tearing these cars down recently. Learning a lot about them as I do it. The reader doesn’t appear to talk to the main computer from what I can see. So in a way I believe you can swap the reader in the console and next to the door and go. We will see what happens I guess. Just didn’t want to lock up the car.

Upvote 0