Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Key for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there are quite a few vehicles that have key-less entry / start, ETC. where you need the fob on you what would be the next step? I think the next step would be regarding keys is to skip the key entirely and instead use the fact that just about everyone has a smart phone as the standard method to unlock/start the car via WiFi, Bluetooth or NFC. Obviously for those who really want a key it would be an option V/S something that comes standard with the car. What are your thoughts?

It is likely the TM3 will have a fob just like it's siblings. What I am wondering is if the fob will be radio based like the TMS or bluetooth LE like the TMX. I think Tesla used BT just so the doors would autopresent, really not sure of any other reason why they would use it.

Though I like the idea of having one less key on my keychain, what if your phone dies? There would have to be a way to deal with that.
I do know that the Model S & X allow you to drive the car with no key currently. I don't know if it is possible from the web in general or only from the Tesla app. Seems like as long as you could find another phone to get the app and log in you'd be okay.

Yes you can unlock and start an S or X from the app. But you need a cell signal to do that! Not everyone lives in cities with good cell coverage. Even in a city there can be places where there is no cell signal: a parking garage I use at a San Francisco hospital has no cell signal inside. And if your cellphone battery is dead, then you can't use the app.

And believe it or not, not every potential Tesla buyer has a smartphone.

The 3 will have a key fob.

Yes you can unlock and start an S or X from the app. But you need a cell signal to do that! Not everyone lives in cities with good cell coverage. Even in a city there can be places where there is no cell signal: a parking garage I use at a San Francisco hospital has no cell signal inside. And if your cellphone battery is dead, then you can't use the app.

And believe it or not, not every potential Tesla buyer has a smartphone.

The 3 will have a key fob.
Does it have to be a cell signal, or can it work over WiFi as well? (not that that helps in a parking garage, just curious).

I'm not sure if I would want my cell phone to be my car key. Yes, maybe it would help people who frequently forget their phone at home (if they wouldn't be able to leave home without it), but I'd rather have a separate key/key fob. It seems like phones are much more frequently stolen than car keys are; that would make me nervous. And some people switch phones, or rotate through their collection, frequently. That could be a pain as well.
I also like the idea of the proximity key being a mini car. I think it's a cool touch. Plus the key fob also has functionality more than just being able to drive the car - opening the truck, frunk, Summon etc. Sure an app can do all that, but sometimes it's handy to reach in your pocked and click a button quickly without having to unlock your phone and open the app.

Reactions: AustinPowers
Does it have to be a cell signal, or can it work over WiFi as well? (not that that helps in a parking garage, just curious).
I should have been clearer. To use the Tesla app to unlock and start the car so you can drive it, your smartphone needs to have a connection to the Internet. That could of course be via wifi. But if you are away from home the chances of being able to get your smartphone on wifi so you can unlock and drive your Tesla is unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely, especially in rural or remote areas.

I should have been clearer. To use the Tesla app to unlock and start the car so you can drive it, your smartphone needs to have a connection to the Internet. That could of course be via wifi. But if you are away from home the chances of being able to get your smartphone on wifi so you can unlock and drive your Tesla is unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely, especially in rural or remote areas.

Also, the car needs a connection to the internet as well!

I think using a paired bluetooth phone as a key could be a simple yet effective solution. No need for a app, no action needed, approach the car, car detect known bluetooth paired phone unlock, allow drive. Just need to configure which paired phone can drive / unlock in the car's settings. Simple.

Someone could steal your phone and drive away, yes, same applies for your key.

I think using a paired bluetooth phone as a key could be a simple yet effective solution. No need for a app, no action needed, approach the car, car detect known bluetooth paired phone unlock, allow drive. Just need to configure which paired phone can drive / unlock in the car's settings. Simple.

Someone could steal your phone and drive away, yes, same applies for your key.

Could include Touch ID to turn the car on perhaps.

As a computer guy, I can affirmatively state that this is a terrible idea. The internet is a creepy blacked-out van with a "Free Candy" sign. The lowest level of interaction our cars have with it the better. I am already genuinely uncomfortable with the always connected nature of the Teslas.
At least Tesla's use a VPN to talk back to the mothership. Could be worse, they could be talking in the clear...