Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Key for Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Craig is correct, being connected to the Internet our cars are vulnerable. I am sure that Tesla is acutely aware of that, and I hope that they take appropriate security measures because if someone hacks into a Tesla remotely (without physically connected to the car's data point or having access to the owners smartphone) that would be a disaster for Tesla.

But the fact remains that no online security system is impregnable.

My Lexus IS is keyless and it is hard to go to a keyed car. With that being said, I would not like going to a smartphone only car. My parents do not have smartphones and some construction friends still use flip phones. I would not mind a small fitbit type of device that you wear.

Alternatives
- Smart Watch / Fitbit recognition (Best Option)
- Visual / Voice Recognition
- Magic

My Lexus IS is keyless and it is hard to go to a keyed car. With that being said, I would not like going to a smartphone only car. My parents do not have smartphones and some construction friends still use flip phones. I would not mind a small fitbit type of device that you wear.

Alternatives
- Smart Watch / Fitbit recognition (Best Option)
- Visual / Voice Recognition
- Magic

What about a key fob? Is that a key?

Reactions: BluestarE3
Out of curiosity, can someone who uses the app tell us how authentication works? I'm curious about how Tesla is securing this functionality.
As someone else said, it uses the account you set up with Tesla. A few other points of interest though -- the app does not make you enter the password every time you open it unless you explicitly log out. This I find is actually really nice from a convenience standpoint. However, even more nice from a security standpoint, it will make you enter the password again to start the car through the app. I really like how they implemented the app overall. Great usability with just the right amount of security, IMO.

Problem is it has to be better than what Tesla does right now on the phone. It can't require network connectivity (parking garages etc) and it needs to support TouchID or the like as entering a crazy long password every time you want to start the car stinks.

Problem is it has to be better than what Tesla does right now on the phone. It can't require network connectivity (parking garages etc) and it needs to support TouchID or the like as entering a crazy long password every time you want to start the car stinks.

Actually, if I have to reach into my pocket at all it's already a fail. With a keyfob it just says silent in your pocket and you never touch it. You just walk up, open the door and drive off. Why would anybody think that having to get their phone out of their pocket was some sort of improvement?

Reactions: dgpcolorado
You know something like the Apple Pay process would be a nice fallback, a combo of near (Bluetooth) contact with the phone plus Touch ID.

I'd rather not have just Bluetooth itself.
Sadly Apple only allows TouchID to be usedfor authentication by third parties. NFC isn't technically available at this time. Bluetooth LE + TouchID for password verification would be a nice fallback, plus you get the bonus of not having to wait for your phone to pair with the car (which I find super annoying).
But not much beats just walking up to the car and opening the door and going without ever touching a phone and/or FOB.

Elon is a kitesurfer if memory serves. He fielded a will it fit a surfboard question during the m3 announcement. The m3 will come with a device that you can tuck into your wetsuit. Is the Mx fob water proof?
Sooo... keyfob and ziplock baggy. Really shouldn't overthink this.

Could make the near field bluetooth an optional mechanism for using the car. Set it up in the options and make it part of the 'always on' operation.

But overall the standard fob is standard. Anything extra should be optional.