Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Keys and Car in Underground Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My friend just lost my last key card and in the same weekend I got a new phone so my new phone isn’t connected to the car yet.

The car is in an underground garage with no cell phone service so I can’t use remote start.

Will mobile service be able to program a new key card for me if the car isn’t able to connect to the internet or Wi-Fi?

You should be able to add the car to your phone outside of the garage, just by installing and logging into the Tesla app. Once you do, you can get into the car using app because it uses Bluetooth to unlock the car if you're near it, and you should be able to use the phone key to drive it. It's worth a try anyway.

I don't know if service can program a key card without having one of the originals, but they probably can.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
You should be able to add the car to your phone outside of the garage, just by installing and logging into the Tesla app. Once you do, you can get into the car using app because it uses Bluetooth to unlock the car if you're near it, and you should be able to use the phone key to drive it. It's worth a try anyway.

I don't know if service can program a key card without having one of the originals, but they probably can.
Phone key needs to be added to car for bluetooth to work. You also need a key card to add a phone key. If you install the app on a random phone without the phone key being added in car, you can only use the LTE based unlock, which requires the car to have reception.

I'm guessing OP will most likely need a tow truck to tow the car back to the surface where it has reception. Even the mobile service will have a hard time as they would need to essentially break into the car to do anything.

Reactions: LoudMusic
I was only joking when I wrote that... but after reading the original post again, I'm confident you stole this vehicle. Prove me wrong.
  • You lost a key card and didn't replace it?
  • You gave your other key card to your "friend" at the same time that you replaced your phone... and didn't take the 30 seconds to set up your Bluetooth key?
  • Now your "friend" lost the other key card?
  • And after ensuring that you have no keys, you decided to park the car below ground where the car can't get cell service.
Just bring your old phone with you to the car and use the Bluetooth key.

Last edited:
I was only joking when I wrote that... but after reading the original post again, I'm confident you stole this vehicle. Prove me wrong.
  • You lost a key card and didn't replace it?
  • You gave your other key card to your "friend" at the same time that you replaced your phone... and didn't take the 30 seconds to set up your Bluetooth key?
  • Now your "friend" lost the other key card?
  • And after ensuring that you have no keys, you decided to park the car below ground where the car can't get cell service.
Just bring your old phone with you to the car and use the Bluetooth key.
OP did ask specifically if mobile service can do anything, so I would not automatically assume the worst motives possible. It could just be a bad coincidence.

Phone key needs to be added to car for bluetooth to work. You also need a key card to add a phone key. If you install the app on a random phone without the phone key being added in car, you can only use the LTE based unlock, which requires the car to have reception.

I'm guessing OP will most likely need a tow truck to tow the car back to the surface where it has reception. Even the mobile service will have a hard time as they would need to essentially break into the car to do anything.
Luckily (unluckily?) the doors are unlocked so mobile will be able to get. Whether they’ll be able to actually reprogram a key remains to be seen. That’s what I was trying to figure out and they haven’t been responsive in answering that.

Where's your previous phone? My wife also has access to my car via the app on her phone, so she serves as a backup.

Being able to get into the car is a plus. Perhaps you can hotspot a few WiFi repeaters to get a signal to your car.

OR.... your could contact the car's rightful owner and tell them where it's hiding. 🤪
I'm with father_of_6, a new member AND a string of misfortune... The real question to Father_of_6 is how one becomes a "membler"?

Luckily (unluckily?) the doors are unlocked so mobile will be able to get. Whether they’ll be able to actually reprogram a key remains to be seen. That’s what I was trying to figure out and they haven’t been responsive in answering that.
From people that had it reprogrammed that I have read, they pretty much always have it at the SC, so not sure if it can be done with the car not having any internet connection. Anyways, whatever the solution ended up being, try to reply back to this thread so it may help others.

I remember a similar story with someone that had a broken fob and they ended up finding a tow truck that was able to tow the car back to the surface (without car being able to be put into tow mode, the tow truck had either a flatbed or dollies). Then it's a simple matter of starting the car manually with the app.

So that is always an option.

My friend just lost my last key card and in the same weekend I got a new phone so my new phone isn’t connected to the car yet.

The car is in an underground garage with no cell phone service so I can’t use remote start.

Will mobile service be able to program a new key card for me if the car isn’t able to connect to the internet or Wi-Fi?
Someone lost your "last" key card?!? Are you sure they're a friend?

How far underground is it? A trick may be to config your mobile hotspot SSID and password to match your home network. Turn on the hotspot and see if something connects. Then try remote start.

Get in there, put the car in tow mode and get it up near cell coverage. Use the app to start car, drive to nearest service center, buy key cards. Have them program.