Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loan cars for other than engine problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
Disappointed in Tesla. I'm an early adopter having had a MS since 2014.
I've had numerous services, probably 10 in all, for warranty issues.

Now my screen is in need of replacing and they refuse to even consider a loan car at all. This is despite being prepared to wait as long as it takes. Every other service I have been offered one, though I've waited 3 months for one at one point.

Totally illogical, poor service. At the moment I've put off my plan to buy a 2017 MS until I see a return to ethics of the old Tesla.

Reactions: Eclectic
They have too few loaners, wonder why they didn't keep some basic S60 as loaners, could have added 1 or 2 more to the fleet given the difference in cost (although 1 or 2 more won't help much). Owner of 85/90/100 may not be happy with S60 loaner, but it's MUCH better than nothing

I think the loaner situation will only get worse with more and more Tesla on the road, at least until the FRT waiver ends

Lerxt may be having a MCU replacement, I have it replaced once, took 3 days in total

Disappointed in Tesla. I'm an early adopter having had a MS since 2014.
I've had numerous services, probably 10 in all, for warranty issues.

Now my screen is in need of replacing and they refuse to even consider a loan car at all. This is despite being prepared to wait as long as it takes. Every other service I have been offered one, though I've waited 3 months for one at one point.

Totally illogical, poor service. At the moment I've put off my plan to buy a 2017 MS until I see a return to ethics of the old Tesla.
So, is this SC in Australia or Hong Kong?
You may be rushing to conclusions about "ethics" for a short term shortage of loaners.

Reactions: Joelc
I did not realize the insuremytesla program by AXA is new. I had a look at it and it looks good, especially if you sign up for the 3 year program there is a discount. Also another discount if you have another vehicle insured with AXA. I have signed up for it for my MS to be delivered in November.

Clause 9.2.1.1 on page 12 outlines conditions for a loaner vehicle from Tesla (or equivalent) due to an insured accident.

Cross post for AXA insurance conditions to get a loaner from Tesla (or equivalent).

yes it's indeed a surprise that after being whining on the forum and vala you get a loaner. While I like the brand so much, it's hard to appreciate Tesla HK with it being unfair to local customers all the time.

Reactions: Titus
I don't whine... it's just a rule that I follow.
I have always been treated with the utmost respect and consideration by Tesla. Much better than any other business I deal with.

The thing is, reading your location as California, there's a bit of a disconnect between the level of service and communication Tesla offers to customers in the US and the rest of the world. Although I must say Tesla HK has greatly improved their services here and I personally never had an issue that required me to complain or left me without a drivable car for more than a day.

The thing is, reading your location as California, there's a bit of a disconnect between the level of service and communication Tesla offers to customers in the US and the rest of the world. Although I must say Tesla HK has greatly improved their services here and I personally never had an issue that required me to complain or left me without a drivable car for more than a day.
I think it's inevitable that there will be differences among service centers and regions.

Requiring a problem with the engine would be a good way of avoiding any loan cars at all, as no Tesla's have engines, they have motors.;)
Mine went in for service in Sydney a couple of weeks ago and I was offered a loaner without prompting so probably just a supply of loaners issue in HK.

No it's not the numbers of loaners in HK. I told them I would wait as long as it took them to provide me with one and the answer given more than once was "only if you have an engine problem".

Having ordered the car before Tesla had any cars in HK, I know how they've developed and the service is not as good as it was. The problem is that they have the Hong Kong service culture permeating throughout the service center, and this is a sad development.

I'm astounded. I understand the popularity of Teslas' in HK have put the service center in a tough position but the responses to my questions I get from the service center with respect to my issue and whether a loaner car is available definitely does not justify the premium price and brand Tesla is trying to be.

My email convo with them basically as follows:

"A loud whine has developed in my S85. I'm worried that the drivetrain will suddenly stop functioning. My father is not very mobile so the car is necessary for his daily activities. We'll need to wait for a loaner to be available before we can bring the car in. Please let me know when a loaner is a available so I can schedule a service."

Response:
"Thanks for your email, we suggest that you can make an appointment for fixing the noise.
We are sorry that the loaner car service is not available.
Thanks. "

Follow up:
"Is there a new policy about no loaner cars for servicing because I was able to get a loaner the last few times I went in for service although the waiting time was long."

Response:
"Thanks for your email, this is our new policy. The loaner car service is no longer available. "

The end.

Maybe I'm being a bit sensitive but at least go a little into more detail about the new policy. When I bought the car, loaners were available. Things change but a bit more of an explanation or some sort of alternative solution would be great.

I love the car but i really hate the service. Last time I went in, they didn't even fix my problem but thought I was only there for the annual service. The two services took close to a month. I'm sure i'm not the owner facing these issues.