Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaner cars? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me twice already. I made my appointments two weeks and 4 weeks ahead of time respectively and requested loaner car. On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.
This is unheard of with high end car dealers such as MBZ, BMW or Audi. If they ran out of their own loaners, they would give you a rental from Enterprise. Spending a 100k for a car and got Toyota service does not sit well.
Is this happening everywhere or is it at Costa Mesa, California Center again. Please share your experience.
Thanks.

This happened to me twice already. I made my appointments two weeks and 4 weeks ahead of time respectively and requested loaner car. On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.
This is unheard of with high end car dealers such as MBZ, BMW or Audi. If they ran out of their own loaners, they would give you a rental from Enterprise. Spending a 100k for a car and got Toyota service does not sit well.
Is this happening everywhere or is it at Costa Mesa, California Center again. Please share your experience.
Thanks.
When they didn't have a Tesla loaner, they offered me a premium ICE car. I declined that and took a Lyft home.

On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.

Thanks.

So they offered a car and driver to basically take you wherever you wanted and that wasn't good enough? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you want to pay $3300 for a timing chain cover, by all means. (what lexus tried charging me)

Thanks.

Depends entirely on the service center but CA is significantly over stretched with number of cars vs number of service centers and Tesla is dragging it's feet at the slowest possible pace with regards to adding more service centers... Why? Who knows... It's been a problem since day 1...

That being said, your expectations need a bit of a reality check. While I'm sure Tesla would love to have more flexibility and available loaners, that costs money and money is one thing Tesla needs as much of as it can get.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks.

Normal, especially in southern california. Has been this way for years, sorry.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Palm Desert SC has always had a loaner for me. The Enterprise near them purchased 10 Model S's for Tesla to use for loaners. I guess Tesla Feels that it is cheaper to sell the cars to Enterprise and rent them back for loaners.

It is because at least there is profit to be made. When Tesla tries to sell their loaners, you get people posting "horrible CPO experience" in the ordering subthread. Better to put that burden on a 3rd party company.

That being said, enterprise teslas dont have AP engaged.

Im still lol-ing that a personal chauffeur wasn't good enough.

Ditto but too late. I am surprised some folks think it is acceptable for a high end car company (I do consider 100K car high end) not to off a loaner car or requires 2 weeks for a service appointment and a more than a month to get a body part (an arm and a leg).

Exactly. What really irks me is the fanboys that will make excuses for this behavior. Did they all trade up from Honda Civics? Or are they simply so wealthy they can just pluck another Model S from their personal fleet?

Anything costing over $100K, that isn’t a house, is most certainly a luxury item. And if you’re a business pricing your product in that class you had better be prepared to provide service at that level. No excuses.

Why is 100k magically a luxury item? You bought the tech not the supple leather seats.

Model S | Tesla

Find the word "luxury" or anything of the sort on that page anywhere and I'll eat crow gladly. Its unfortunate that your definition of luxury has to be everyone elses. Is an H1 Hummer luxury? What about a fishing boat? Definitely love the smell of outboard engines from my luxurious center console bench seat...

Cmon dudes.

To the person suggesting that being provided a personal chauffeur (Lyft) to take them around should be something we thank Tesla for instead of getting a loaner.... You must not understand how Lyft works.

Allom me to educate you. You summon a driver via an app and wait around for a driver to show up in whatever random car happens to answer the request. Once the driver eventually shows up they drop you at your destination then they leave. Then you must repeat this process for every leg of your trip. You are making it sound like Tesla assigns you a specific driver that just sits in your driveway waiting for you to need a ride then sits in the parking lot of wherever you need to go until you're ready to go home or to your next destination. And what if you actually needed to drive somewhere other than work or the grocery store? Like a business meeting a couple hours away?

Quit your fan boy crap and just admit that at this price level there is a certain amount of service expected and loaner cars would absolutely be one of those services. Luxury or not luxury is irrelevant. Tesla is dropping the ball in some areas of the country. I personally have not experience this but if they offered Lyft for a planned service visit I would go nuts on them. If it was an emergency situation I would give them a pass but expect them to provide a loaner ASAP.

I swear loaner cars were listed as a benefit on the website when I bought my car. Anyone confirm this?

Jason

Why is 100k magically a luxury item? You bought the tech not the supple leather seats.

Model S | Tesla

Find the word "luxury" or anything of the sort on that page anywhere and I'll eat crow gladly. Its unfortunate that your definition of luxury has to be everyone elses. Is an H1 Hummer luxury? What about a fishing boat? Definitely love the smell of outboard engines from my luxurious center console bench seat...

Cmon dudes.

Dude, stop it. Model S is a luxury car.

Tesla Model S Crushes Large Luxury Car Competition In USA | CleanTechnica

Or is that only true when it’s doing something to outperform a BMW?

LOL..... It is on their website.
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 7.47.04 PM.png