Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaner cars? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At our last service visit in Watertown there were no loaners and no rental cars available. They finally sent me home in an Uber because I told them we didn't need a car.

I agree that currently Tesla has a monopoly on the serious EV market and is milking it. Unfortunately, I also agree that it will be many years before they have any credible competition. And that will only be after the other manufacturers decide they want to make real EVs.

Bottom line, don't expect Tesla customer service to get better anytime soon.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
At our last service visit in Watertown there were no loaners and no rental cars available. They finally sent me home in an Uber because I told them we didn't need a car.

I agree that currently Tesla has a monopoly on the serious EV market and is milking it. Unfortunately, I also agree that it will be many years before they have any credible competition. And that will only be after the other manufacturers decide they want to make real EVs.

Bottom line, don't expect Tesla customer service to get better anytime soon.
Exactly, the one thing I keep thinking about is how could "the Big Three" (Benz, BMW and Audi) truly go all in with EVs without cannabalizing their ICE vehicles? I mean, it appears Elon truly wants to take battery capacity as far as humanly possible so if that is the case what would be the point of going ICE if you also offer an EV at or near the same price point of say you could get a 3-series that goes 400 miles on a charge? Now add in that all three will be fairly aggressive rolling out nationwide charge stations to support this initiative and it puts them in somewhat of a bind because Tesla dictates the price, the category and the range and has a huge head start over them!

But you're right, Tesla right now truly has no need or urge to bend over backwards to make clients happy, because they know how feverish they are towards the brand, know they won't go back to an ICE vehicle and simply because there is no Option B for them to jump to instead.

I don't think they've ever come out and claimed to be competing with "luxury brands".

Price point and perception from the general public both put them in the "luxury" market.

As far as something Tesla itself has done: I distinctly remember Tesla's early buyback program for the Model S which guaranteed that Tesla would not depreciate faster than a Mercedes S class.

This notion that Tesla isn't a "luxury brand" as viewed by the masses and Tesla itself is something I only hear on these forums.

Last edited:
Price point and perception from the general public both put them in the "luxury" market.

As far as something Tesla itself has done: I distinctly remember Tesla's early buyback program for the Model S which guaranteed that Tesla would not depreciate faster than a Mercedes S class.

This notion that Tesla isn't a "luxury brand" as viewed by the masses and Tesla itself is something I only hear on these forums.
It may honestly have something tyo do with what many claim is the less then "luxurious" fit and finish for the price compared to other vehicles which is fair somewhat until you consider how far more technologically advanced Tesla are. Plus take into consideration that most if not all are company from a luxury brand so it is inevitable for people to make comparisons. Now add in all of Tesla's growing pains and things they promised like loaners that they have trouble providing, and parts/service that can take weeks and that is why people here get defensive because then it looks like you are calling them naive or uninformed buyers.

Last edited:
Good news. Just came back from Tesla in Rocklin. The Rocklin loaner fleet has increased from 30 to 80 Teslas! Now, granted these are Enterprise base 75Ds without autopilot, but still way better than the Infinitis, Dodge Challengers, and other weird stuff I use to get. And since they're owned and managed by Enterprise, don't have to worry about them getting sold at the end of quarter rushes.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The Tyco SC in Vienna, VA has an Enterprise rep on hand to handle loaners. She told me they had over 100+ loaners on the road on the Monday before Thanksgiving. They gave me a Mercedes C Class overnight when I dropped off the MS for a software update.

The SC will also provide a loaner for the estimated two weeks! (WTH?) it will take to repair the ding they made on that service visit. Also, I had just gotten the MS wrapped and ceramic coated and Tesla will pay for the rewrap/coat after they repair the damage.

Yes, I am pissed...

Last edited:
This happened to me twice already. I made my appointments two weeks and 4 weeks ahead of time respectively and requested loaner car. On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.
This is unheard of with high end car dealers such as MBZ, BMW or Audi. If they ran out of their own loaners, they would give you a rental from Enterprise. Spending a 100k for a car and got Toyota service does not sit well.
Is this happening everywhere or is it at Costa Mesa, California Center again. Please share your experience.
Thanks.
Consider yourself lucky that they notified you before you got there. Last week, I drove 90 minutes to my SC for scheduled mx and was told they were out and there were no rentals. He was going to send me back to the Springs in a $160 lyft and then lyft me all around the springs while my car was waiting for service. Nahh....I'm good. I told him "Don't worry, we'll find a loaner" and after searching for a few minutes, magically one appeared!

This happened to me twice already. I made my appointments two weeks and 4 weeks ahead of time respectively and requested loaner car. On the day of service, Tesla texted me saying they are out of loaner cars and they offered Lyft to shuttle me around.
This is unheard of with high end car dealers such as MBZ, BMW or Audi. If they ran out of their own loaners, they would give you a rental from Enterprise. Spending a 100k for a car and got Toyota service does not sit well.
Is this happening everywhere or is it at Costa Mesa, California Center again. Please share your experience.
Thanks.