Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaner cars? Really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends entirely on the service center but CA is significantly over stretched with number of cars vs number of service centers and Tesla is dragging it's feet at the slowest possible pace with regards to adding more service centers... Why? Who knows... It's been a problem since day 1...
Second largest problem Tesla has (after the appalling communications cluster****s). They need to roughly double the number of service centers, and they need to have done it *two years ago*. I'm assuming it was due to money shortages. (The communications disaster has no excuse. It's simply mismanagement.)

I had to get an Enterprise rental last time my car went into the shop, because (as usual) they were short on loaners. They were pretty good about getting me a suitable car.

Reactions: jeffro01
Torrance service center has the same issue. I was once told they ran out of loaner as well as Enterprise so we rescheduled. I've always asked for an X but I haven't been able to get one since 2018. I asked the valet about the loaner situation and he told me they've sold them all.

Seriously, I have no problem with them selling the loaners but you gotta replenish them.

Wow. It's one thing to run out of loaners, but they really can't also run out of available rental cars. If their local Enterprise has all cars rented out, they need to start working with a second rental car company.

Reactions: kgroschi
I have been thinking why doesn’t Tesla know how many loaners they need for a given day because they made you reserve them weeks ahead (that’s what it takes to get an appointment).
When I've made an appointment, my service center has been able to schedule an appointment for a date when they have a loaner, and they've had a loaner if I schedule it for that day. This is how they normally work at most service centers. Perhaps they're getting overwhelmed as you say....

They have the exact number of needs except since some service centers are overwhelmed with services that they could not fix all the repairs timely enough to get the loaners back. With that, Enterprise would be an acceptable alternative to keep their sales pitch promise of a loaner.
The one time my car had to go in on short notice because it was undriveable, I got an Enterprise car.

May be they have not been able to pay Enterprise because of low cash that even Enterprise shut them off?
Doubt it, they're still handing out Enterprise cars in most of the country. Maybe some local locations they're so swamped with repairs that they've rented out all the Enterprise cars in town already.

I booked my appt a month in advanced, they cancelled the day prior stating they proactively ordered the part to have in stock by the time I drop off the car (I’m guessing a month wasn’t enough time??), 3 weeks later I get a call that the part arrived to take the car in, I asked for a loaner which they said they will have one for me.
Next day I drop off the car at 8:30am (they open at 8am) and they tell me they run out of loaners and offered me a Lyft... yup so here I’m questioning their policy and why wasn’t made aware to which they reply if I don’t have another car, as if it is my fault... I then tell them to cancel and send a ranger to my place, the tech replies the screen cannot be replaced by a ranger so I told him to triple check as it has been done before... the very next week the ranger stops by my place and replaces the main screen.
All in all very disappointed about the experience.
Notice the communications failure. They should have known they could do this with ranger service.

They offered a Lyft, which is quite different than offering a car and driver to take one wherever they want/need to go.

One such difference came into play when I found myself in a similar situation as the OP. I specifically moved the date of my appointment out so they could ensure I'd have a loaner available that day. Like the OP, when I drop my car off, they tell me they don't have any available. They act surprised that I'm unwilling to sit and wait hours for the car. Fortunately, I had no meetings scheduled for the day and my office was down the street, so a Lyft was fine with me. (That's another way a Lyft is different than giving one a car and driver, unless they were going to offer a Lyft to any and all outside meetings I had that day....but, this difference didn't come into play for me that day). They ended up needing to keep the car all day and at the end of the day they tell me my car is ready so they'll send me a Lyft to pick me up. Fine by me, accept because the Lyft's drivers kept canceling the trip. My guess is they didn't want to waste a rush hour ride on such a short trip. So I'm standing in the lobby watching Lyft find driver after driver each one canceling in a 3-5 minute cycle. Really frustrating as over 30 minutes pass by with no way to get back to my car. Luckily for me a co-worker came out and was able to give me a lift (punch intended).
They would have been better off ordering a taxi, who aren't allowed to cancel trips.

That's a far cry from having a car and driver or a loaner vehicle (as originally promised) and a completely unacceptable experience given the fact that the appointment was scheduled specifically around my needs for a loaner.

If you bought a Tesla expecting to have your salad tossed and feet kissed every time you're forced to emerge from your crystal cocoon and interact with the working class, you've been severely misled and would be far better off with the established luxury brands. Any of them will happily sell you a $50,000 car for $100k to leave adequate margins available to fluff your ego.

As I've said in other threads on this topic, there's a striking amount of overlap between the folks who rant about not getting a polished low-mileage P100D for every service experience and those fully incensed about Tesla's "outrageous" service costs.

If a loaner is available that's great. If not an ICE rental will bridge the gap. Unless I don't actually need a car for the day, in which case a complimentary lift/Lyft is a nice gesture.

Are you really so arrogant and blind that you think your needs are all of our needs?

Please see my previous post on page 1 of this thread showing a screenshot from Tesla's website stating they COMMIT to providing you a Tesla loaner if available and if not they will arrange a rental car. It is not anyone's opinion on here that we are debating.... Tesla promised a service and is FAILING to provide it. We are 10000000000% justified in complaining about this broken promise. We are not expecting tossed salads or feet kissed you blowhard. We just want what we paid for and were promised by Tesla. If that means we are living in our crystal cocoon then I guess I am guilty of that.

I recently had this same experience at a service center. I had an appointment, and they proactively called a couple of days in advance to say there were no loaners. We rescheduled for the following week when they said loaners would be available for morning appointments.

I showed up on the appointed day and time and checked in the car, at which point they said they were out of loaners. After I objected and said I couldn't leave the car without a loaner, they scrounged one up. I pointed out to the guy that the car was filthy, and he pointed out to me that I was lucky they were doing what they said they were going to do and I went on my way.

A day or two goes by and I get a call saying my car is going into service that day, to which I responded that I thought it was going into service the day I dropped it off for the appointment. They are completely overworked and understaffed.

A few more days go by and I call to check on the car. After 15 minutes of hold music someone picks up and takes my info, then puts me on hold for another 15 minutes of hold music. They finally come back and say my service adviser didn't come in that day, but they were able to wander around the back parking lot until they spotted the car, so they know it's still not in service.

As I'm typing this I got a text that the car is ready, so I'll go see if they fixed what they were supposed to. When I checked the car in I asked them to look at an additional issue I was having with the car, but they said if it wasn't on the original appointment they won't do it, they're too busy.

So, overall not too bad an experience. 5 days to do a one day job, but I did get a loaner and the check-in was very quick. Staff is clearly stretched way too thin and in over their heads. Compared to the experience I had a year ago at the same service center where I was in and out the same day with great communication, there's no comparison. I'm guessing it was a mistake to mass release the Model 3 without increasing service center capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
I'm guessing it was a mistake to mass release the Model 3 without increasing service center capacity.

I'd adjust that to "I'm guessing it was a mistake to mass release the Model X without increasing service center capacity"... It's been bad since before the 3 and seeing how few service centers Tesla is opening up now.... Yeah...

Now is that going to keep me from buying another one? Nope, not at all... I just really wish Tesla would address this obvious and crippling bottleneck...

Jeff

I'm guessing it was a mistake to mass release the Model 3 without increasing service center capacity.

I'd adjust that to "I'm guessing it was a mistake to mass release the Model X without increasing service center capacity"... It's been bad since before the 3 and seeing how few service centers Tesla is opening up now.... Yeah...

Here’s the rub. At peak cash burn, Tesla was spending $9000 PER MINUTE to operate.

Can you imagine how that number would inflate if you tried to massively expand service centers as well? It’s not like they didn’t expand it but they didn’t expand it to what they would could have if they were FCF positive.

Going for another capital raise would have diluted share holders and create another set of problems.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but so far I think they are doing a decent job given how stacked things are against them.

Someone else with the investment mindset like @neroden is welcome to support or dispute my thesis.

Here’s the rub. At peak cash burn, Tesla was spending $9000 PER MINUTE to operate.

Can you imagine how that number would inflate if you tried to massively expand service centers as well? It’s not like they didn’t expand it but they didn’t expand it to what they would could have if they were FCF positive.

Going for another capital raise would have diluted share holders and create another set of problems.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but so far I think they are doing a decent job given how stacked things are against them.

Someone else with the investment mindset like @neroden is welcome to support or dispute my thesis.

Tesla's problems running their business are their own and not their customers. If someone served you a rotten hamburger and said "do you know how much it would cost my shareholders to buy a new fridge? They can't afford that!" you'd probably take your business elsewhere.

• Love
Reactions: alcibiades
Tesla's problems running their business are their own and not their customers. If someone served you a rotten hamburger and said "do you know how much it would cost my shareholders to buy a new fridge? They can't afford that!" you'd probably take your business elsewhere.

It matters if you want the business to be around in year 7 to help you with your year 8 battery warranty.

Your hamburger analogy is completely flawed because:

A Jumbo Jack is a near perfect substitute to a Whooper. Yes, JITB would get my business.

Are you in a big hurry to sell your Tesla and get a Bolt..?

I agree with the comment on Customer Service. Yes, increase in SC locations cost more and maybe at this time that might be an issue. But customer service, that cost is little and is priceless. Faulty management with high turn over rate and a don't care attitude kills any progress. They can easily improve overall impression by 20% with better communication and customer services.

A simple thing like online workflow notification, something my local body shop I recently took my Tesla to (by the way auto a Tesla Certifed Bodyshop) gives me constant workflow automated update to let me know where my vehicle is in the process, estimated completion time, and any additional information I need.

Tesla can easily provide online real-time service appointment scheduling, loaner queue reservation, repair/service completion notification, and while the vehicle is waiting for pickup, a simple top off charging service. We all have the Tesla Apps. Having in app notification and scheduling feature added is a nice feature to have. For simple service that the ranger can do, that should be on the appointment calendar app as well. It knows your address, you can select what kind of service you are looking for from a few pre-defined templates, and give you the option to bring the vehicle in or have a schedule ranger to come out. The app does the notification of time and if the ranger is on the way.

It is the days of technology and being a highly technology-oriented vehicle, I would expect more in utilizing technology in these areas

Doing that is golden and goes a long way.

It matters if you want the business to be around in year 7 to help you with your year 8 battery warranty.

Your hamburger analogy is completely flawed because:

A Jumbo Jack is a near perfect substitute to a Whooper. Yes, JITB would get my business.

Are you in a big hurry to sell your Tesla and get a Bolt..?

I have one Tesla that cost $150k and another that cost $130k. There are quite a few cars I'd be very happy to drive at that price point that are perfect substitutes for a Tesla. The reality is that when my next lease is up it will be perfect timing to get a Porsche Taycan, so it won't even need to be a gas vs electric decision.

Reactions: MXWing
I have one Tesla that cost $150k and another that cost $130k. There are quite a few cars I'd be very happy to drive at that price point that are perfect substitutes for a Tesla. The reality is that when my next lease is up it will be perfect timing to get a Porsche Taycan, so it won't even need to be a gas vs electric decision.

Excellent, I’m sure Tesla appreciates your support. I also support you as well as a TSLA investor.

Happy to stand behind you in line for a loaner as both of my Tesla’s don’t even add up to one of yours in spend.

I suggested in this thread Tesla needs to prioritize it’s big spenders first and put the Model 3 owners in their place as far as expectations go.

Though on the Taycan.. still vaporware and no answer for Tesla’s charging network.

Also think Porsche should sell every Taycan it makes but what is going to be. A few thousand?

I heard fast chargers would be installed at Porsche dealerships.

If I wanted to go to Porsche all the time I’d get a regular Porsche. All those dealers ready to support and service them? Porsche is just going to be way better than Tesla at EVs on day 1?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
LOL !! back around post #38 - i'd mentioned herculean patience (for unfortunate folk like us that spend DOZENS of trips, & weeks & weeks in the shop) and that's for my better half's 18mo old mX. It's being flat bed'ed back to Costa Mesa ... air suspension fails to work. Not the 1st time ... and not the 1st time in either of our Teslas ... in fast the S didn't even make it home before it failed. We did get a rental S for the broken down S, but that was years ago.
Anyone wana put down odds?
;)

If it happens to YOU ... it'll sound like this ... only it just keeps going & going until your phone's chip runs out of memory, or the time out sensor finally kicks in.

Tesla loaner? ... or Toyota
:oops:

When Tesla has ramped up Model 3 production, would it not make sense to use a fleet of Model 3 vehicles as service loaners? It would be less of an investment than the current Model S fleet and with higher production numbers, they should be able to build enough to service customers?

Now is that going to keep me from buying another one? Nope, not at all... I just really wish Tesla would address this obvious and crippling bottleneck...

Jeff
Right. I think few of us with vehicles at the time recall the X launch fondly. One of my non-critical visits had a 2.5 month wait time.

It's certainly better than that right now, but who knows for how much longer. Last time I was in they weren't offering a loaner or rental at all, just a Lyft to work. I never know what to expect when I need to take it in.