Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

no loaner instead they gave me a camaro!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly a luxury vehicle...when I made the appointment for service I was told I would get 3series or a benz....nope we got a camaro. That will work great with my 8 month old.

They also upgraded their service appointment software and it happened to drop my appointment.
So far Tesla service has been greatly disappointing.

Is this what I should expect?

Not exactly a luxury vehicle...when I made the appointment for service I was told I would get 3series or a benz....nope we got a camaro. That will work great with my 8 month old.

They also upgraded their service appointment software and it happened to drop my appointment.

I got a fantastic P85 loaner when I took my car in for service in early December- and driving a much newer Model S made me realized my rear camera was out of focus. But when I took my car in again on Jan 2nd so they could install a new rear camera they said they were completely out of loaners and I got a ride to and from work in a Ford F150. It sounds like Tesla had an end of the year push to move as many loaners as possible and they were pretty successful. Hopefully they'll replenish their loaner fleet in a few months. Waiting a bit for non-critical repairs will probably increase the chances of getting a Model S loaner.

Here's to hoping at it was a "Bitchin' Camaro" (Any Dead Milkmen fans out there?)

The last time I've had service, I ended up with a Chrysler 300M... Then again, it was December and everyone else was buying out the loaner fleet,

I've had mixed experiences with the two centers that I've used in Southern California.

I had booked a service appointment way out specifically so that I could get the P85+ loaner that the Toronto SC had at the time. When I got there, they were having some sort of "issue" with the loaner (I saw it with the nose cone off and what looked like jumper cables going into it) and they gave me a Ford Fusion instead. I was disappointed and now the SC no longer has that P85+ loaner any more. I had the Fusion for 3 days and spent more on gas than I usually do on electricity for a month!

Camaros are not good for transporting 8 month old children?

I can imagine a challenge getting a baby seat set up in a Camaro. I have one in a Mustang and it renders the front passenger seat unusable for most adults.

EDIT: Now if they would do like in Europe and let drivers disable the front passenger airbag and have the baby seat rear-facing in the front, everything would be both easier and safer, but I got a bit slammed last time I brought that up in this forum so let's not get into that again...

Curious, do they pay of gas in the loaners?

I thought I saw on the Tesla site P85 loaners will be provided. Looking just now I see loaners and no mention of a P85. Has this been changed? I know I bought the car knowing this first class service existed so changes to it would not make me a happy customer. I would not accept a camaro. Fact is its not as safe as the Model S so I have to pay for gas and drive something unsafe while they service my car? Telsa seems to be backing down from some previous promises.

Last edited:

No, it shouldn't. Let [email protected] know about your troubles.

A Camaro. Ha! Does it transform into a robot? Because if not, yeah I'd be ticked with getting stuck with one too.

I've had my car in a few times for service at the mothership, Fremont, and I have never been able to get a Tesla loaner. When they run out, they have a nearby Enterprise car rental which provides the loaner. It's free, but I have to fill out the Enterprise paperwork, and decline the extra insurance that they (fairly gently) push. Of course, I pay for the gas. It is similar to when I have my Lexus serviced at the dealer. I will sometimes get a Lexus loaner (though a cheaper model, never an LS460 like my car) but if they are out, then I get an Enterprise loaner.

Given the vagaries of service appointments (say a car takes an extra day - so the loaner which is expected back on Tuesday doesn't show up until Wednesday, or an owner comes back very late in the day to pick up his/her car and has the loaner for several hours longer than expected) I think the best they can do is first come first served until they run out of Tesla loaners. It would be nice for them to pick up the gas bill, or at least pay for the returning fill up. The way Enterprise works, you often don't get a full tank of gas, and are expected to return with the same amount as you had when you started.

Found this: http://www.teslamotors.com/fr_CA/blog/creating-world’s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

• Fully loaded Model S Performance 85 cars or Tesla Roadsters as loaners
  • Tesla will seamlessly valet the loaner cars to your location
  • $600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty
  • Unconditional warranty for Model S battery, even for user error

Making Service Better Than Invisible
The best way to experience service is, of course, not to experience service. If your car does need service, then it should be swapped with a car that is ideally better in some or many ways. To this end, Tesla is building a fleet of top of the line Model S loaners. These will not be our basic model – they will be state of the art with all the best features and options.
Nor will this eventually become an aging fleet of overused cars. The Model S loaners will be available for immediate purchase at a price that is lower by $1 per mile driven. If you like the service loaner more than your other car, we will happily trade in your Model S and you may keep the loaner. This ensures that the service fleet is constantly refreshed and gives customers the best optionality.
For an added bit of fun, customers in most markets will have the choice of taking home one of our Tesla Roadster sports cars when their car is in for service. Few experiences are more sublime than driving a beautiful electric sports car on a road along the ocean or through a forest with the top down on a summer day and hearing only the sounds of nature.
Valet Service
Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.
Annual Service Contract
Unlike gasoline cars, an electric car doesn’t need oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, smog checks, etc., which are only needed if the mode of locomotion involves burning oil derived products. For an electric car, you don’t even need to replace the brake pads, because most of the braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery.
As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

- - - Updated - - -

To me providing your existing customers as promised and not selling all the loaners to meet shareholders expectations is the right thing to do. Loaners should only be up for purchase if a surplus exists and no way should reduce the loaners available based on recent needed patterns. Again, just my .02 but Elon is the one that stated P85 loaners would be made available.

I don't think a Camaro qualifies as state of the art and for sure is not better then the Model S that was dropped off for delivery!

Ditto the experience in Bellevue WA service center. The loaners were sold probably because demand is higher than supply right now. So they've pointed us to Enterprise car rental in my last 2 appointments. Did get a P85 on my first appointment a couple of months back. Recent policy seems to have changed for sake of revenue.

I got a fantastic P85 loaner when I took my car in for service in early December- and driving a much newer Model S made me realized my rear camera was out of focus. But when I took my car in again on Jan 2nd so they could install a new rear camera they said they were completely out of loaners and I got a ride to and from work in a Ford F150. It sounds like Tesla had an end of the year push to move as many loaners as possible and they were pretty successful. Hopefully they'll replenish their loaner fleet in a few months. Waiting a bit for non-critical repairs will probably increase the chances of getting a Model S loaner.

wraithnot I assume you were at Burlingame? I took my car in on 12/30 for my annual, and was disappointed when they said they sold all their loaners over the weekend!
Ended up with an ATS that unfortunately smelled like smoke. Previously at Menlo, Enterprise gave me an Altima. Never had a P85 loaner :crying:

Curious, do they pay of gas in the loaners?

I thought I saw on the Tesla site P85 loaners will be provided. Looking just now I see loaners and no mention of a P85. Has this been changed? I know I bought the car knowing this first class service existed so changes to it would not make me a happy customer. I would not accept a camaro. Fact is its not as safe as the Model S so I have to pay for gas and drive something unsafe while they service my car? Telsa seems to be backing down from some previous promises.

Tesla covers the cost of gas as well!! I got a Lincoln Navigator as the loaner car from Enterprise and didn't have to pay for gas for that one!!

To me providing your existing customers as promised and not selling all the loaners to meet shareholders expectations is the right thing to do. Loaners should only be up for purchase if a surplus exists and no way should reduce the loaners available based on recent needed patterns. Again, just my .02 but Elon is the one that stated P85 loaners would be made available.

I don't think a Camaro qualifies as state of the art and for sure is not better then the Model S that was dropped off for delivery!
It would not make too much business sense to turn away a customer when your company is in need of cash.
Can Tesla afford to stock their service centers with enough Model S's for everyone? Most likely not
With the current limit in production there WILL be lack of loaners, just give it time and when Tesla doubles their production I'm certain they will have more loaners!

Although I hope those loaners get sold as quickly as possible- :)

Regarding your comment about getting a loaner that's not as safe as the model S, well roadsters are not as safe- would you refuse to accept it? And it's not like they're giving you a tin can on wheels, the cars still meet safety requirements.