Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Loaner - Instead they gave me a Limo w/Driver!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had to take my car in for some unexpected service today... When I got to the Service Center the representative said he couldn’t offer me a loaner, but that he could have someone take me anywhere I needed to go. When my rep told me that my ride was here, I turned around and it was a Limo! The driver opened the door for me, offered me drinks/snacks/gum, and basically drove me anywhere I needed to go. I felt unworthy and had to take a picture:

20140124_111750_resized.jpg

Not only that, but while I waited for my “ride” to show up, the service rep comped my breakfast and coffee at the cafe next door. Then when I got back to the service center my car it was fully charged and shiny. Unbelievable service. I was seriously floored. Here is my baby in the middle (those are extra Model S battery's in the crate behind me):

20140124_125031_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Which service center was this?

The West LA Service Center on Santa Monica Blvd.

I think they signed a contract with Uber for the driver service. It makes a lot of sense. Why use loaner cars that lose value and take up previous parking space, when you can team up with a local car service. The driver service gets to promote their services to their target customer base, and Tesla doesn't waste money on a large loaner fleet. Almost as soon as I got in the car, my driver began to give me a run down of what Uber is all about, and then he gave me a gift card for $20 off my first ride. It worked because he honestly sold me on their services. Ill defiantly call them if I need a ride.

I think Tesla loses more then $1 per mile on their loaner cars too. I meet someone at a Supercharger last week that got $15,000 off of his car that had only 5,000 miles on it! That's $3 a mile not to mention all the electricity Tesla spent to charge that car, plus the labor to manage the fleet, and the car washes. I think Tesla's losses on the loaner car is more around $5 or $6 a mile. So teaming up with a driver service (if that's true) had to be a financial move. If it is true I for one like it!

Last edited:
Great story. Just took my Model S in for service and they took me to Enterprise. Tesla had reserved a luxury car, but Enterprise didn't have one, so they had to take me to a 2nd Enterprise location. Wound up with a Cadillac ATS. I like the limo better. I hadn't driven a 4 cylinder car in a long time. I think the jerky transmission gave me whiplash. Ha.

I think they signed a contract with Uber for the driver service. It makes a lot of sense. Why use loaner cars that lose value and take up previous parking space, when you can team up with a local car service. The driver service gets to promote their services to their target customer base, and Tesla doesn't waste money on a large loaner fleet. Almost as soon as I got in the car, my driver began to give me a run down of what Uber is all about, and then he gave me a gift card for $20 off my first ride. It worked because he honestly sold me on their services. Ill defiantly call them if I need a ride.

I think Tesla loses more then $1 per mile on their loaner cars too. I meet someone at a Supercharger last week that got $15,000 off of his car that had only 5,000 miles on it! That's $3 a mile not to mention all the electricity Tesla spent to charge that car, plus the labor to manage the fleet, and the car washes. I think Tesla's losses on the loaner car is more around $5 or $6 a mile. So teaming up with a driver service (if that's true) had to be a financial move. If it is true I for one like it!
Awesome if true!

I think you may have discovered the gist of the big announcement to come regarding their service program... Very clever if "MS loaner, or Uber, on us" turns out to be the new standard of care.

i do wish Uber was public. Seriously disruptive.