Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Loaners at Tesla Service "Bring back the LOANER CARS!!!!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned a 2012 Model S since May of 2016. I have to say that the service back then was on par with or better than any other car service that I've had. Yes this was the most expensive car I've ever owned, but prior treatment while in service and functions of the car made it all worth while.

Recently my car failed from the common failed drivers door handle and the frozen touch screen. I used the app to schedule a service like normal. Since my car is still under warranty I expected to just drop my car off and pick up the loaner car a always. Well this time I was advise if I receive a voucher for Uber. Wait, "what!" I advised the service department that Uber would not work in my situation do to job and having to make multiple stops. So now I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out the most efficient way to get my car repaired under warranty. Do I take days off work or hope that they can repair problems over the weekend?

I'm wondering what others are doing about this situation.

I use to think that I'd be in the Tesla family for life, but this is a deal breaker.

An Uber voucher is honestly just ridiculous. I took my week old S LR into Tempe AZ service yesterday, and they gave me a 2014 60 that is covered in bugs and bird droppings and sits in the garage buzzing continuously... At least I got something. I've had to adjust my expectations a bit in the last week, but I love the car. If they kill the loaners they need to come up with a better solution than Uber.

I advised the service department that Uber would not work in my situation do to job and having to make multiple stops. So now I'm at a crossroad trying to figure out the most efficient way to get my car repaired under warranty. Do I take days off work or hope that they can repair problems over the weekend?

+1, I'm in exact same situation, have to make multiple stops seeing clients at their homes. I have a service appointment soon and praying that they will have the car for me... Made sure to remind the GM several times. If not I'm screwed, will need to rent

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Rent a car? Request mobile service? Make alternate arrangements? Agree the loaners were nice but there are lots of ways to deal with these sorts of issues...

What you said is a pathetic try at making a case for Tesla in an obviously losing battle. Sure, there are always ways around it. The point is that you shouldn’t need them. This is a $100k car and the OP was obviously a VERY early believer in Tesla. If there weren’t for people like the OP, Tesla would have died in 2012. So Tesla should not treat people like them this way.

Anyway, I dropped my car off last Friday and got an almost brand new loaner here in Seattle. Very pleasantly surprised. Yesterday I went back to pick it up, but after test driving they realized the issue is still there and gave me another loaner. A 100D. Again, can’t complain. So it seems like, as expected with Tesla, this isn’t a uniform situation and you might be able to get a loaner at some places.

The last time I was in for service, they gave me a Model S 75D from Enterprise Rent-a-car. Apparently, they worked-out a deal with the local Enterprise to buy several Model S's and the service center rents them back. Enterprise can also rent these to "civilians" so it's a win-win.

I'm not sure if this was an exclusive deal that this particular service center worked-up on their own or not.

This is a $100k car and the OP was obviously a VERY early believer in Tesla. If there weren’t for people like the OP, Tesla would have died in 2012. So Tesla should not treat people like them this way.

I don't necessarily disagree with your broader point, but it sounds like OP bought a 4 year old used car and now wants the $100k white glove treatment on a budget.

I think this speaks pretty clearly to why there are challenges with the sustainability of this model.

At any rate, these sound like easy mobile service fixes - that would seem to be the best model for everyone.

Rent a car? Request mobile service? Make alternate arrangements? Agree the loaners were nice but there are lots of ways to deal with these sorts of issues...
once again, "a car in this price range should" come with free loaners. Given my average stay for ANY service is 3 days due to the incredibly inefficient service program and lack of parts availability the uber vouchers really dont cover the need. The SF service center started giving out vouchers and since i commute 100 miles a day I opted to find another service center with loaners. I suspect elon is ending the loaner program slowly as service centers with loaners are rapidly going away

I don't necessarily disagree with your broader point, but it sounds like OP bought a 4 year old used car and now wants the $100k white glove treatment on a budget.

I think this speaks pretty clearly to why there are challenges with the sustainability of this model.

At any rate, these sound like easy mobile service fixes - that would seem to be the best model for everyone.

I sometimes took my 2003 audi allroad to the dealership for service. In 2018.

I was *always* asked if I wanted a loaner.

If you wanna win Lexus prizes play by Lexus rules...

Remember when Elon said that all the loaners were going to be top-of-the-line trim models, and if you liked it better, you could just "keep it"? Good times, good times.

;):D:rolleyes:
I remember getting a top of the line model s loaner
I asked about upgrading and they said the loaners were not for sale
I referred them to the Elon Musk quote and got the same reply, loaners not for sale.

It’s astounding how many times the CEO of the company would announce something and the employees and upper management not know anything about it.
That’s why I hate when Elon announces something on twitter before notifying all the employees, no one is ever on the same page at Tesla.

My car has been in service a couple times in the past two months and I was only offered Uber. The first visit took over two weeks and the second visit is going on one week. The updates are seldom and they don’t respond via text for days at a time. I have to keep calling them to get new Uber vouchers because they expire so quickly. They only provided vouchers that expired the next day or two because they didn’t have an ETA when my car would be done. I once called about 15 times within an 18 hour period because my voucher expired. The service is sad.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Back in 2013 with my first Tesla, I had a Roadster for a loaner :) A couple weeks ago I had an enterprise 75D. I had an urgent fix since my door wouldn't open from outside so was a drop in appointment. Since it was mid-day , enterprise ran out of Teslas so offered a Miata. lol Since I work close to the SC, I opted for Uber credit to office and then came back before closing to get one of the returned loaner cars since my car wouldn't be fixed until the next day. The kicker with the loaner was no AP so I had to actually drive the car for a couple days... real world problems.;)

Evidently this situation varies at least by service center, and most likely varies according to the individual situation as well. So far (knock on wood), I have been provided a loaner by my local Service Center (Dedham, MA) each time I had service that was expected to take more than a couple of hours. (A couple of times, i have simply waited for the car.) Last year, during the Model 3 delivery blitz when the SC was super busy, I got an older Model S loaner and had it for 2 full weeks.) The most recent time, just 2 or 3 weeks ago, I was given a "loaner" that was actually an Enterprise rental car, a recent low mileage black Model S75D. The Enterprise agent was on site at the SC, and I was in the car and off on my way in just a few minutes. I did get a credit card charge for a tunnel toll (I forgot to grab my transducer from my own car), but otherwise had no expenses. I think I had the car for about 2 days (my car was having an A/C repair). That was the first time I had ever had an Enterprise loaner. I was not surprised to get one, because I have been reading about people getting them for two or three years, I think. My car is still in warranty, and that probably makes a difference. We will see what happens when the warranty ends in 3 weeks or so!

This is part of Tesla transitioning from a luxury brand to a production-focused manufacturer. Remember that the master plan was to raise funding by selling high-end cars so that they could produce the mass market versions. We had the privilege to drive these cars first, but that time a come and gone.
you mean luxury brand pricing at production focused service.Its sad really. Drop all the model 3/x/and s priced down to 30-60k and then i can see the issue a no brainer.