Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No loaners? Tesla offered me Uber during Covid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has a crack in the top roof, Tesla texted me "loaners are few & far between". Service center couldn't help either, but they will send me in an Uber during Covid!! Didn't even offer to get me a car rental, regardless if I pay. Didn't give me the option. Maserati didn't do this, Mercedes didn't do this, BMW didn't do this. Terrible customer service!

Honestly this is not acceptable. At LEAST offer me a car rental. I would even pay! Now I have to do all the legwork. But to offer me $100 in credits to go in an Uber during the pandemic is wrong. What is their problem with loaners? I saw a tweet back in February where Elon Musk said he was fixing the loaner issue. Obviously not

Reactions: sorka
I agree. It stinks. Really, there is no justification. Degradation of service.

Remember when Elon promised loaner fleet would be all performance Model S? Remember when you didn't have to game the phone system to get a live person?

My first Model S delivery in 2015 was over 1 hour, with delivery rep going over all details, covering the software, charging, etc. For second car was delivery (pre-covid), I was pointed in the direction of my car, given key fobs, signed some papers and was on my own.

I even remember when they attempted to give service centers a high-end atmosphere, replete with granola bars, little water bottles and other snacks. Now, by comparison, my local Toyota service center blows Tesla out of the water.

Lame.

Remember when Elon promised loaner fleet would be all performance Model S? Remember when you didn't have to game the phone system to get a live person?

My first Model S delivery in 2015 was over 1 hour, with delivery rep going over all details, covering the software, charging, etc. For second car was delivery (pre-covid), I was pointed in the direction of my car, given key fobs, signed some papers and was on my own.

I even remember when they attempted to give service centers a high-end atmosphere, replete with granola bars, little water bottles and other snacks. Now, by comparison, my local Toyota service center blows Tesla out of the water.

Lame.

Tesla was losing money. Now it's making a tiny profit.

Hope that Model Y is successful, and then perhaps Tesla will spend some money on customer service.

Maybe.

Lame.

Yes I remember all that. They pointed you to the direction of your car? Ughhh I am up for a new car, the Tesla sales guy emailed me that they're having a "Special" so I responded that I was interested and I never heard back. WTH. I guess they are not on commission?

My car has a crack in the top roof, Tesla texted me "loaners are few & far between". Service center couldn't help either, but they will send me in an Uber during Covid!! Didn't even offer to get me a car rental, regardless if I pay. Didn't give me the option. Maserati didn't do this, Mercedes didn't do this, BMW didn't do this. Terrible customer service!

Tesla now only does Uber credits, unless it has a loaner that hasn't been sold. Given the bare-bones customer service, don't expect it to have a back-up for anything.

But, really it's irrelevant that there's COVID, I wouldn't want an Uber because I think the business model is worse than a joke, being built on massive loss-leading, which could only possibly be recovered by building a future exploitative monopoly.

Tesla now only does Uber credits, unless it has a loaner that hasn't been sold. Given the bare-bones customer service, don't expect it to have a back-up for anything.

But, really it's irrelevant that there's COVID, I wouldn't want an Uber because I think the business model is worse than a joke, being built on massive loss-leading, which could only possibly be recovered by building a future exploitative monopoly.

Agree, but come on, help me out and at least help me order rental car, I'll pay. Wish their was a comparative car company. I would leave in a heartbeat.

This is totally dependent on the SC. The Charlotte SC still has/uses loaners. There was a short period at the start of COVID where they temporarily stopped, but once they nailed down cleaning procedures between users, they started again.

Here is the problem, I can go to a bigger service center which is far for me, in hopes they will have a car, and still no guarantee that I will have a loaner until I get there, if not, I will be either in an Uber for longer which is not safe during COVID, and I need a car as I work, so Uber really doesn't help. I am a single girl.

My service center told me a week ago that "loaners are only an option for warrantable repairs that are anticipated to take longer than 24 hours and the company is really holding the line on that".

Of course that's no guarantee that there will be one available when you need it, and they're definitely getting more stingy by the day.

My service center told me a week ago that "loaners are only an option for warrantable repairs that are anticipated to take longer than 24 hours and the company is really holding the line on that".

Of course that's no guarantee that there will be one available when you need it, and they're definitely getting more stingy by the day.

Ok well I am neither of those. I am paying, as a rock from a truck hit my car roof top, and supposedly less than 24 hours fix. I still don't understand where the issue is. Should go back to Maserati, great service, but then again, I hate dealing with gas stations and like being "green"

• Disagree
Reactions: sorka and VaztheDad
This is the text I got for my appointment next Friday:

“Hello, this is the Tesla Service Team. In adherence of the guidance provided by the CDC, Tesla has implemented a Touchless service experience. This will allow your Tesla to be serviced without the need for in-person contact. Additionally, Service Loaners will be prioritized for First Responders, Healthcare Workers, and customers whose repairs are estimated to take longer than 2 days, otherwise Uber Credits will be provided. Please be aware Uber does require all riders to wear a mask. If you need to cancel or reschedule please use your mobile app. These measures will allow us to remain open so we may continue to service your vehicle. Drop off instructions will be given to you before your appointment.”

My car has been in the shop numerous times, and I’ve had a loaner car 0 times. It definitely sucks. Uber works for me, but I’d rather have a loaner.

Ok well I am neither of those. I am paying, as a rock from a truck hit my car roof top, and supposedly less than 24 hours fix. I still don't understand where the issue is. Should go back to Maserati, great service, but then again, I hate dealing with gas stations and like being "green"

Thank you for this. I still don't understand as to why they don't have better customer service and loners as I've always had high-end cars and never had the situation. Even less being sent in an Uber. Apparently before covid, this was an issue.

Thank you for this. I still don't understand as to why they don't have better customer service and loners as I've always had high-end cars and never had the situation. Even less being sent in an Uber. Apparently before covid, this was an issue.

In my opinion, they place all their resources into production and sales as it is evident on the number of cars they are selling. Consequently, they lack funding and have disregarded customer service and quality control.

I just got back from dropping my car off and picking up a loaner, 2 minutes ago. It was a pretty nice setup. Dropbox for my key and lockbox for the rental (they sent the code via text). Naturally, the loaner I got was a C90D (P90D locked in chill mode:mad:) but at least I should have my AP3 computer tomorrow.

I just got back from dropping my car off and picking up a loaner, 2 minutes ago. It was a pretty nice setup. Dropbox for my key and lockbox for the rental (they sent the code via text). Naturally, the loaner I got was a C90D (P90D locked in chill mode:mad:) but at least I should have my AP3 computer tomorrow.

It seems location is key. Received a text from Tesla that in Southern CA it's practically impossible. Did you ask for the loaner?