Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No local service center... Request comp SC credit for mileage/time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My local service center is 3 hrs away. Tesla is fine to come to me for small things, like the Homelink installation, but I need a new windshield (after 1 week of ownership and a TINY rock) as well, so I have to take a day off and drive to Nashville, putting unnecessary mileage on the car (thank goodness I'm not leasing!) . Would I be out of bounds asking Tesla to compensate me for the mileage and/or time wasted with supercharger credit? Too much to ask?

• Funny
Reactions: davewill
My local service center is 3 hrs away. Tesla is fine to come to me for small things, like the Homelink installation, but I need a new windshield (after 1 week of ownership and a TINY rock) as well, so I have to take a day off and drive to Nashville, putting unnecessary mileage on the car (thank goodness I'm not leasing!) . Would I be out of bounds asking Tesla to compensate me for the mileage and/or time wasted with supercharger credit? Too much to ask?

That seems a little much. You knew where the service center was when you bought the car. You also probably knew what the mobile rangers could and couldn’t do. Finally, this isn’t a warranty repair.

It’s one thing if you wake up and notice a hairline crack on the roof glass or something and completely another for a rock hitting it...

To answer your question, yes I believe you would be out of bounds. Needing a windshield because of damage is not a warranty repair (regardless of what people will then say about "soft glass" or "it shouldnt happen, it should be more sturdy" etc).

You absolutely knew where the service center was when you purchased the car, so yeah you would be out of bounds. Even if they DID do it, you would likely be branded as "that guy / girl" and everyone out of that local service center would absolutely know who you were... and not in a good way.

This would be kind of like living a long way from a grocery store, buying veggies there, and then using those veggies to cook a dish at home that came out poorly, then asking the grocery store for compensating you for having to come back down and buy some more.

The reason I am saying thats the same is because the issue (a bad prepared dish) happened because of actions taken by the person who bought the veggies, but said person could / might say "well the veggies were bad so my dish was bad, so compensate me because you are so far away and I had to come back and buy more".

it doesnt even look right writing that down, same way it doesnt look right to me in OPs situation asking for compensation for replacing a windshield that is not due to manufacturer defect.

NOTE: Op you will get no where claiming warranty on a windshield if there is an impact mark, regardless of size of said impact mark. If there is a star anywhere, then its impact, and not warranty but regular damage to the windshield. If they are replacing it under warranty you need to RUN there on your own dime and get it replaced, and thank them (and definitely not ask for anything else). Its unlikely to me that any sort of rock strike would be replaced "for free" under warranty though.. if they are, its already good will and you should just do it no questions asked before they change their mind.

No idea how you purchased it as the site doesn't allow purchase and no dealers shown! I did report it to the email listed.

That's unfortunate -- looks like the "Buy" button does to an empty online store. Hopefully this does not presage abandonment of this product.

How does it work with the wipers? Tesla does not recommend treatments to the windshield.

I spoke to someone at my local service center about the windshield fluid caution and the treatment issue. The main concern is 'chattering' with some washing fluids and treatments like Rain-X.

I've seen no issues with C-Bond on the windshield. No chatter when the wipers are activated with a dry, lightly misted or wet windshield.

After returning from my drive out to the coast this weekend I'll post some more information in case this product becomes available again.

That's unfortunate -- looks like the "Buy" button does to an empty online store. Hopefully this does not presage abandonment of this product.

I spoke to someone at my local service center about the windshield fluid caution and the treatment issue. The main concern is 'chattering' with some washing fluids and treatments like Rain-X.

I've seen no issues with C-Bond on the windshield. No chatter when the wipers are activated with a dry, lightly misted or wet windshield.

After returning from my drive out to the coast this weekend I'll post some more information in case this product becomes available again.
I got an email back and he will sell some to me. The price has increased a bit but still reasonable. He will be shipping me a single windshield quantity on Monday

Reactions: Bill Foster