Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Location Services setting in iOS Tesla App - Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so my wife is ready to drive our Tesla Model Y into a wall. Her iPhone 11 Pro Max basically no longer works as a key for the Tesla. We have deleted the phone from the car, and set it back up. We have deleted the app on the phone, and reinstalled. Neither helped.

I of course have scoured the internet to no avail. So, hoping we can find someone with a big brain here.

The only thing I have found that could be related to this is that in her phone when I open the Tesla App under settings, I can see she has everything enabled (BT, Cell Data, etc), however there is no option for location services. Almost as if the app doesn't have built in Location Services it's requesting. Checking under Privacy and Location Services also doesn't show the app. So quite simply there is no way for us to authorize the app to "Always" use the location services.

Now, the one thing we haven't done, and quite frankly can't do easily, is a full phone reset. Her phone is used for her work and has a ton of proprietary software on there that would require us to part the oceans to get reinstalled.

I am an Android guy, so doing my best here. The only thing I can figure out is that there may be an issue with the Tesla App released by Tesla, but that is a big guess.

Not sure what to suggest. It certainly does show under privacy > location services for me.

If it is a work phone are they perhaps blocking it? I am not aware of the full potential of restrictions but I know the parental controls certainly let me block location services edits so my kid can’t change things.

Not really sure what's going on either. It absolutely should be there. Running iOS 14.4, so nothing dated.

I am hesitant to think it's the work thing because she has about 30 other apps that are using locations services just fine.

For some reason the app simply doesn't have the location services showing.

Ok, so update.

I went into the app and started to request Roadside Assistance and when it got to the location screen, iOS finally asked for authorization to use Location Services.

Now the location services are showing under the app in settings, and the app is showing under the Privacy/Location Services.

Not sure if that will fix the phone not unlocking the car, but it's something.

Ok, so update.

I went into the app and started to request Roadside Assistance and when it got to the location screen, iOS finally asked for authorization to use Location Services.

Now the location services are showing under the app in settings, and the app is showing under the Privacy/Location Services.

Not sure if that will fix the phone not unlocking the car, but it's something.
This did the trick! Thanks!

Reactions: Marty3SR+