Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer allowed to respond on SA based on my comments defending Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2Pearls

Aug 10, 2013
NJ
Dear maybetoday1,
Your account has been made Read-Only in response to your comments history or your behavior towards other users.

You will not be able to post comments, StockTalks or Instablogs and you may not open another Seeking Alpha account. You will still be able to read articles and other material on the site.

Seeking Alpha Moderation Team

-----------------
User Data:
Posted by: maybetoday1,
user since: February 7, 2013
Dates previously in moderation:
Feb 7, 2013 - May 29, 2013
Content Data:
Content submitted on September 1, 2013, 19:29
On Article Why Tesla Had To Repay Its DOE Loan by John Petersen
Original comment:
John, the sad part is there are NO facts to what you wrote in this plagiarized article and you continue to make yourself look desperate trying to continue your libel. My mother once told me that if you cry wolf too many times, no one will believe when the sky actually starts to fall. In your case, you can cut and paste all you want...the facts are that Elon made a brilliant move by doing another round of financing as the stock was continuing to go up...any smart business man would capitalize on this situation...and, in fact, he should probably do another round at current prices to guarantee that the Model E comes out on time. Continue to chase this John and you will have absolutely NO
credibility. In fact, most might say you are grasping at straws that are far beyond your reach with these so called articles. You only wish you were 1/10th as smart as Elon and continue to dream...while others who have seen the future continue to profit and will continue to! Keep reaching as your editorials continue to push the stock to new heights. Just wait till the 3rd quarter numbers come out as I know they will be way beyond expectations and Tesla will be over $200. How is Axion?
Comment in reply to John Petersen on Article: Why Tesla Had To Repay Its DOE Loan [View Commented]
Content link: Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): Why Tesla Had To Repay Its DOE Loan - Seeking Alpha

I have gotten into a few debates on this site and I have thought that the other posters were being just as sarcastic as I was, yet I was banned. Another poster who defended Tesla recently also stated that he was put on Read Only as well. Seems like they can't take criticism.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackl1956. Look at what drivel others have posted on recent editorials, and this gets through:

Moon Kil WoongComments (9449)*
1) Production. Even with a shortage or supply and a backlog for the cars Tesla felt compelled this year to shut down their NUMI plant. Rising production remains an issue.

2) Battery: Moving to a new battery isn't as easy as it sounds on paper. Just like Apple who can't get rid of Samsung chips (A7) even though they are at war with them (In fact Apple can't even get another fab to make it for them), a new battery requires a gamut of changes and tests. What is known is that their current battery projections hit a wall with their current production next year.

3) Management. Elon is playing around with just about every other technology that can get taxpayers money. He already started Tesla with the DOE but paid them off with an equity round since he can't meet their covenants for sustainability (Tesla may be barely profitable with liberal accounting methods but is cash flow negative and more so if you add in the growth projections they have). He then got a $400-500 million commitment from NASA for Space X to make an affordable kerosene rocket which is no longer affordable and keeps getting renegotiated and scheduled after they first failures. Now he openly disses Tesla investing saying they should fund a new company that he wants to get taxpayer money from the department of Transportation to make supersonic Jetson like space tubes he developed in 24 hours. Why the US public puts up with insider beggar entrepreneurs who use Federal coffers to line their pockets while often squandering their money (like Solyndra) is beyond me.

Anyway it is clear Elon is making plenty off of Tesla and now wants to suck more government deals out of the taxpayer. After all, I think he has learned that a free roll on others money is the fastest way to make money.

4) Financial. Tesla is currently riding a wave of growth and better earnings, however, it seems quite clear to all in the industry they are using older, less efficient battery technology which new electric car manufacturers have opted out of because of the fact it is not affordable (ergo the high prices and the losses Tesla has so far incurred). I expect more competition at better efficiencies and prices in the next 10 years. The war for electric cars is just getting started and there is no guarantee Tesla will be the winner.

AS is Tesla remains too niche with too high of a cost basis to be a contender as is. We will see if they can change that in the future, but the risks remain daunting. It should trade at a discount, not a premium for that. 21 Sep, 09:41 PMReply!*Report AbuseLike14

This guy is basically stating that Elon is unethical and trying to cheat the gov't. And I responded to him and my comments were deleted.

SA is clearly against Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, couched differently you could have said essentially the same thing without the personal attacks...I'm certain that's what got you banned. I wouldn't put up with an ad hominem attack like that on the forums I moderate either.

I agree, but what you did not see was Mr. peterson's personal attack on me and his sarcasm like I did not know what I was stating...this is why I responded the way I did. I agree that personal attacks are not necessary, but all I was doing was responding.

Well, couched differently you could have said essentially the same thing without the personal attacks...I'm certain that's what got you banned. I wouldn't put up with an ad hominem attack like that on the forums I moderate either.

Moderators typically should not participate in forums that they moderate in order to maintain an objective view in a contentious debate.
I have seen way too many moderators, on various websites, abuse the tools and selectively choose to enforce the TOS (which is routinely ignored otherwise) when it suits their purposes in a debate.

plagiarized article and you continue to make yourself look desperate trying to continue your libel

I'd say this is the cause, not the fact that you were defending Tesla. If you made that sort of personal attack in this forum the moderators would have responded, too. The first time your post would have probably been moved to the snippiness thread. A repeated pattern of personal attacks could result in firmer action.

Dear maybetoday1,
Your account has been made Read-Only in response to your comments history or your behavior towards other users.

You will not be able to post comments, StockTalks or Instablogs and you may not open another Seeking Alpha account. You will still be able to read articles and other material on the site.

-----------------
User Data:
Content Data:
Original comment:
John, the sad part is there are NO facts to what you wrote in this plagiarized article and you continue to make yourself look desperate trying to continue your libel. My mother once told me that if you cry wolf too many times, no one will believe when the sky actually starts to fall. In your case, you can cut and paste all you want...the facts are that Elon made a brilliant move by doing another round of financing as the stock was continuing to go up...any smart business man would capitalize on this situation...and, in fact, he should probably do another round at current prices to guarantee that the Model E comes out on time. Continue to chase this John and you will have absolutely NO
credibility. In fact, most might say you are grasping at straws that are far beyond your reach with these so called articles. You only wish you were 1/10th as smart as Elon and continue to dream...while others who have seen the future continue to profit and will continue to! Keep reaching as your editorials continue to push the stock to new heights. Just wait till the 3rd quarter numbers come out as I know they will be way beyond expectations and Tesla will be over $200. How is Axion?
Comment in reply to John Petersen on Article: Why Tesla Had To Repay Its DOE Loan [View Commented]
Content link: Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): Why Tesla Had To Repay Its DOE Loan - Seeking Alpha

I have gotten into a few debates on this site and I have thought that the other posters were being just as sarcastic as I was, yet I was banned. Another poster who defended Tesla recently also stated that he was put on Read Only as well. Seems like they can't take criticism.

I used to read and contribute to SA back when it was in it's earlier stages. John was actually one of the first contributors, which is why he has so many followers. But regarding Tesla, I have arrived at two conclusions with him : either he has just made up his mind that Tesla is going to fail and is unable to see the possibility that they won't, or he went short in some way and he's just desperately doing anything he can to drive the stock down. I think it's often healthy to have unpopular opinions about things, but John obviously does not see this one clearly for some reason. At any rate, I wouldn't worry about him too much, it's not worth the time.

All that said, I think the best comments on SA and elsewhere make their point while still maintaining respect and civility, they can open up dialogues, not diatribes. I had a commenter really blast me one time with the first comment on an article (about a Tesla ironically), not just presenting a different point of view, but basically calling the stuff I was writing about total farce in a not so nice or respectful way. It was frustrating because it really took away from the possibility of having a fruitful discussion, and it falsely made me look bad (but you have to be prepared for that). Most of his comments were deleted by SA and I assume he ended up in read only mode, but it would have been great if he could have taken the passion (I think the stock was tanking at the time and he was deep in the red) out of the comments and formed the into a thoughtful question/dialogue.

Lastly I would say that you have to remember that the editors at SA and other types of places can't fact check every piece of every article. So articles with less than factual things can get through pretty easily if they sound somewhat plausible. If you feel like the author is deliberately trying to misdirect people, I would just send an email to SA and just explain any egregious errors, and don't bother with the author. If it's just an honest mistake here or there most authors will probably thank you for notifying them and have it fixed.

Last edited:
It is odd that so many commentators seem to want Tesla to fail. Aside from the financially motivated stock shorters and some oil industry/ICE dealer trolls it appears to me that it is a psychological kneejerk reaction, a fear of the new or anything different than BAU. I detect the same pattern in the climate change deniers and the Obamacare naysayers. Is it a poor science education or just a grumpy old man syndrome - I don't know, but there is far less pride in American know-how and can-do than there used to be. We wouldn't have put men on the moon in 10 years with this kind of attitude.

I read the pro/con Tesla articles on sa - and argue some points. Sure some do want Tesla to fail but I think mostly its a matter of: "I know the stock is way overvalued, because I value automakers only by # autos sold, not future potential or claims of technological advantages or revolutions in transportation."

In other words, they don't get it. :)

Interesting because in your comment history can be found far more egregious personal attacks. And from a doctor no less. I'm not interested in getting into any sort of flame war so save it- I won't engage. But I just find it interesting how easy it is to point the finger at others and how hard it can be to honestly look at our own behavior sometimes. Good lesson for us all to remember whether on a blog or in the real world.

Dear maybetoday1,

-----------------
User Data:
Content Data:
Original comment:

Why not use another IP (dynamic IP) and open a new account at Seeking Alpha?

But best to stay civilised, even if others are not. If you don't get personal, you won't get banned.