Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer any ICE at home - experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife went through withdrawal when we sold her Ford Escape Hybrid and replaced it with a gorgeous Pearl White P85D. Now she has decided this is the best car she has ever owned and is totally in love and confident.

The OP is doing all the right things, but be sure to educate her gently and steadily. I predict in a few months, she will not look back!

I'm a new owner of a Model S and I adore the car. However, I live in a climate where during the winter there will be a number of days where the temperature will be below -30C. Thankfully, I can park the Model S in doors at home, but when I travel to visit family, I won't have an in door spot. I know that I'll loose sleep worrying about my poor MS out there in below-the-safe-minimum temperature.

I've considered a) renting an ICE if the weather will be bad b) just keeping the car I have c) not going when weather is bad d) just ignoring the warning and driving the MS anyways. I'm tempted by option a, because it will safe me a fair amount of money. But, it would be a pain. For me right now b is the simplest option, but also the most expensive. My current thinking is to keep the ICE car for a year, and see how a real winter goes.

Being a former California resident, I'm extremely jealous of those that don't have to think about weather. But, that's just a reality for a large portion of the world, and is definitely an issue for EV owners in those areas.

I bought my wife a Volt last Christmas and we loved it so much we bought a 85D this year and got it last week. Now we're in heaven and don't miss the Mercedes at all. I looked in the garage and noticed the garage of the future... two cars plugged into the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell I've only had my 85 for less than a week but my wife has had volt here in Michigan for over a year and other than shorter range there is no difference. Also, go checkout the videos and blogs from Norway and Iceland.

The only thing I miss about my ICE is towing capacity. I had a Volvo S60 with a 6cyl... 3800lbs towing capacity + class III hitch + trailer meant I could basically do everything myself (pick up a new refrigerator, buy some lumber, etc etc).

I kind of fixed the problem by installing a trailer hitch on my girlfriend's Corolla but it can't tow much and it will be replaced by an EV soon enough...

I bought my wife a Volt last Christmas and we loved it so much we bought a 85D this year and got it last week. Now we're in heaven and don't miss the Mercedes at all. I looked in the garage and noticed the garage of the future... two cars plugged into the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Hell I've only had my 85 for less than a week but my wife has had volt here in Michigan for over a year and other than shorter range there is no difference. Also, go checkout the videos and blogs from Norway and Iceland.

Same as you, my wife and I are a Tesla and Volt family. That is a great combination, almost always electric, but still the ICE back up for a long trip if necessary. Usually once a year the Volt gets used for a 1000 mile+ trip.

ICE-less since December 2012.

For the first couple of years I would occasionally rent an ICE, for long trips into areas with negligible charging infrastructure. Not a big deal - certainly less expensive renting a few times - but I really hated every moment driving them. Just doesn't compare to the EV driving experience. Now there's enough Supercharger network that I don't need to do that anymore. Sooo much nicer to road-trip in the Model S!

(Disclosure: I do have an ICE track car, but I don't keep it at home so I still qualify for this thread.)

We've been electric since 2012, but not ICE-free since we had a LEAF and a Volt (that I only used in EV mode). Returned the leased Volt with only 6 tanks of gas in 2 years (you can't go completely gas free in that car). Replaced the Volt with a RAV4 EV and now the Model S. Very happy with the outcome as there is no more soot in our garage!

PS lawnmower and all other garden tools are electric too!
Never going back!

Replaced an ICE in Jan. 2013 with a Focus EV, replaced the hybrid in Oct. 2013 with a RAV4 EV; will never own gas again. There's no need. It's easy to be an all EV household. Next step is to upgrade the Focus to a Model S for an all Tesla household. There is no ICE in any future possibilities.

Unfortunately we have to stay ICEd one week longer, somehow Tesla logistics had to delay the delivery as it was planned for today. Now it will be next week, guess it is quite a bit a logistic challenge to get so many cars to clients, given that little space in Switzerland :smile: ... now I had to reorganise everything on my logistic side. So next Thursday morning I will pick up the car, bring it to the detailer for C-Quartz finest and should have it then for Friday evening ... hope she is not killing me that her ICE car will be gone :scared:

I haven't owned an ICE vehicle for.... 18 months now. No regrets, and I've never had a moment where I was like, "Dang, wish I had the Volt still..."

My wife hasn't had an ICE vehicle for about a year now.

Combined we have about 45,000 Model S miles driven.

The only thing I miss about my ICE is towing capacity. I had a Volvo S60 with a 6cyl... 3800lbs towing capacity + class III hitch + trailer meant I could basically do everything myself (pick up a new refrigerator, buy some lumber, etc etc).

I kind of fixed the problem by installing a trailer hitch on my girlfriend's Corolla but it can't tow much and it will be replaced by an EV soon enough...

Model X has towing capability I believe. I have my fingers crossed that this is an option on the Model 3 as well.

Last weekend, I gave up on trying to repair at least one of my two gas mowers. I replaced a plug, pull cord, changed oil, cleaned carbs, swapped gas (thinking it was bad), cleaned combustion chambers, sharpened blades, etc. I gave up after 12-14 hours into them and found on Craigslist, a lightly used Greenworks 40V lawnmower with two batteries and a charger for less than half of what they are new. It was ~120 miles away, but close to a Supercharger so I took a nice road trip. Got it home, pushed the button, pulled the lever and the thing cranked right up. I didn't even feel the need to put on hearing protection! It finished the lawn in no time flat!

Knowing how Tesla keeps their LiON batteries healthy, I'm going to keep the lawnmower batteries charged at 75% (3/4 lights) and in a cool room. When it's time to mow, I'll charge them up to 100% and make sure they don't run down too far.

Now, the only thing I have that uses gasoline is my Volt. It rarely uses gas, so I don't feel too bad. It will probably be replaced by a Model 3, soon enough.